Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Big helicopter heading over toward Manchester now.
  • Bunnyhop

What is it?
    Has double rotors.

speaker2animals

Chinook?

scud
    Free Member

Chinook probably

crazy-legs

There was one over last week too. Chinook.
    They’re fantastic! 🙂

Bunnyhop

Ah yes.
    Very exciting, as it went directly over our house, so I could only see the underside. Sounded heavy if you know what I mean?
    Thanks Crazylegs, although it wasn’t doing a nose dive thankfully 🙂

speaker2animals

They sound great which I suspect is because of the overlap of the rotors which must produce some bizarre flow pattern

sv

They’re fantastic!

Mmm…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

did it look like this?

Bunnyhop

Heading toward your house Papa, so duck!

creamegg
    Free Member

I bet it wasn’t the second one!

edit: dont know why the pics are so small?

cinnamon_girl

Wot’s Hora been up to this time?

😉

stgeorge

edit: dont know why the pics are so small?

Cos they’re a long way away

lowey

It flew over me as I passed Blackstone edge on the M62 Jane… it was a Chinook.

SiB
    Free Member

I live right close to a BUPA (now Spire?) hospital which has a hypobaric unit(??) where the deep sea divers go when poorly! These divers are obviously flown in and the majority of times its on the yellow RAF helicopters which are impressive and are literally a stones throw away (wife sometimes waves to them from garden and they wave back, tarts the lot ot them!!) but on a few occassions the chinook brings them in and not only do the trees blow but the house shakes too, amazing.

Is it just a boy/male thing that makes me run out and have a look whenever one lands??

hora
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/low-flying-army-helicopter-in-the-peaks-tonight

The two other (Chinooks) flew lower than us (ontop of cut throat)- amazing sights.

bellys
    Free Member

My son txt me before and said he seen it going over Stockport must be going to the airport poss a fuel stop.

crazy-legs

I’ve flown in Chinooks a couple of times. I remember flying down a firebreak in a woodland with the body of the helicopter below treetop level and the rotors thrashing the tops of the trees with the downdraft. Then we’d come out into a clearing and the pilot would crank it over 90 degrees in the turn, straight into the next firebreak. Very impressive. We were in the back, the ramp was half open and every now and again, the horizon would suddenly become vertical!

One guy filled TWO sickbags and from then on was known as the Chinook Chunderer. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Was it one of these? Fly over Lancaster last year some time.

Bunnyhop

Is it just a boy/male thing that makes me run out and have a look whenever one lands??

No ‘cos I’m a lady and ran over to the window and was drooling.

Grum – that’s the one.

Crazy legs – I’m a ickle bit jealour ( not of the chundering though).

monogramman
    Free Member

It came over Macclesfield too.

One of my fave youtube vids[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ficet6hqlJY[/video]

seanoc
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s38ZyyTX8XA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

This ones better, and UKSF too.

donsimon
    Free Member

Used to get them flying over regularly as the air base wasn’t too far away, first you heard them, then you saw them. Quite spectacular.

hora
    Free Member

SV I wonder if anyones relatives who were onboard that Chinook use STW. Poor taste.

flip
    Free Member

seanoc that video is superb, real James Bond stuff!

Northwind

Can’t decide whether to post this video

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XdqgHrStZA&feature=related[/video]

Or this video

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ63d0JpZTE[/video]

edhornby

SiB – Murrayfield on the Wirrall ?? if so, you’ve been waving at the royal family, Charlie’s eldest is in ‘the army’ which really means living on anglesea and being a chopper pilot…. most of them are lifted from Dorothea quarry in north wales

transapp
    Free Member

I nearly got mown down by a chinook, over Bicester in 2005, just before the start line opened in a gliding competition. Fair filled my pants at the sound of it when I was also in the air!

althepal

Agree with Horas comments.. Poor taste indeed.
    Transferred a pt from one of the new coastguard helicopters a month back.. Think it was a Merlin?
    ‘Kin massive it was.. Could feel the wagon (a big old barge) seriously rocking in the downwash.
    Had a peek inside- massive compared to the seakings..

fingerbike
    Free Member

Get them come over daily, but then I live near a place called Aldershot, still an impressive thing to see and hear. Whereabouts are they based?

v8ninety

Northwind, Ground resonance is a bitch… Any helicopter is capable of tearing itself to bits, very quickly, if it starts up. Good demo of it, that vid. The solution, just lift off…

Althepal, was it one of these? Sikorsky S92

nuke

Another perk of Dorking is the high quantity of Chinooks going over…we love it and it’s almost a family tradition to run to the window to see them. Our hearing is now fine tuned to identifying Chinooks from other helicopters/planes from a decent distance away 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

fine tuned to identifying Chinooks

😆

Amos
    Free Member

A guy from the forum who bought my old 575 off me flys chinooks out in Afghanistan, really top bloke interesting job that one!

althepal

That’s the one v8- did I mention that it’s massive?

jedi

i want to fly in one………. <cough>

edhornby

fingerbike – the ones you hear/see fly out of RAF odiham which is about 10 miles west of you

if you have a road bike this is a great bit of the country for bombing round the lanes as well as riding the downs

andyl
    Free Member

They fly over the mendips quite regularly. Very unique sound due to the interaction of the twin rotors so you know what’s coming.

My favourite is the Merlin and get to see them occasionally. Amazing helicopter and have been lucky to see the insides of them.

tbh all the helicopters we have a pretty special. Apache is just scary up close in the hanger let alone when it creeps up on you or flies past you with the gun pointing at you and the Lynx is so underated by most people.

Osprey posted above is a disaster. Would never go near one.

Ground resonance videos always surprise people. Sometimes you are ‘lucky’ and it just flips over onto it’s side.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Big helicopter heading over toward Manchester now.’ is closed to new replies.