• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jond.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bib shorts Vs Standard lycra shorts
  • SkillWill
    Free Member

I need to get a new pair of padded lycra shorts and wanted to get a reasonable pair this time (always worn very cheap padded lycra under baggies).

Just doing some investigation, it seems when you start looking for padded lycra in the £40 upwards range, there seems to be a much bigger selection of bib shorts. My question is, is there an advantage to bib shorts over straight lycra, have I been missing something?

I want to get a good pair as I'm spending more time in the saddle now but haven't used bib shorts before. When I've looked on here for threads recommending decent chamois shorts they seem to be bib ones. So any recommendations for the £40-50 mark?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bibs are better, they don't fall down or compress your waist.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bibs are way better, I recommend Giordana at all price levels.

beefy

Bibs are way better, I always find normal shorts uncomfortable around the waist and bibs also mean you never get an exposed/cold back.

Make you feel good too 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I'm a bib convert now I ride to work more without baggies over the top. However, don't parade about the house doing Big Daddy impressions – it baffles the wife!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your wife is not a 70s wrestling fan? 😮

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Bibs every time.
    Don't own a pair myself but these seem to get favourable reviews. I'll be getting some of the tights for winter.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Once you (and your other half) gets over the comedy look of bib shorts (which are underneath everything anyway) they are absolutelyl the future. wouldnt ever buy regular shorts now, and hoping any of my old regular shorts dies soon…..

pedalhead
    Free Member

..except if you're doing long distance touring/racing in cold conditions and need to take a dump 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Bibs all the way!

SkillWill
    Free Member

That guy modelling the dhb shorts is dreamy…

Sounds like bib shorts are definitely the way forward I can't believe I've been so naive all these years. It certainly will be a nice treat for my girlfriend too.

wwaswas

I've never had a problem with shorts digging in my waist. Got some Skins cycle shorts recently and they have a wider waistband on them.

rootes1

bibs, don't bunch round you middle… and they are the next level up on the lycra fetish level from shorts… next up again is a full skin suit

baggies over bibs like a mullet – road at the front, mtb at the back

Gore Contest are reasonable money, i use the 3/4 version as I have very long legs

MRanger156
    Free Member

Bibs all the way – comfier and look great with an unzipped jersey!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Just got my Giordana bit shorts in the post! whoop whoop, can bib full legnth thick fleecy winter leggings which are lush! hopefully wearing my bibs this weekend.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Bibs all the way. After moving to bibs when I started road riding I wouldn't go back to lycra shorts now. Much comfier and also great for terrifying the wife with!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Bibs all the way – comfier and look great with an unzipped jersey!<

With our without chest wax sir?

FFS…

Pieface

Bibs have a nice 'enclosed' feeling and are generally nicer.

However –

They are warmer in the summer
    Going to the loo can be problematic – check they have a low front or zip, #2s cause particular problems
    I've never really had a problem with wasitbands

On multi-dayers I take both types to suit the conditions

MRanger156
    Free Member

Definitely without chest wax. Its the 'in look' at trail centre car parks.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Definitely without chest wax. Its the 'in look' at trail centre car parks. <

Yeah – I find a nice turtle neck goes well on the old zipped jersey too 😉

belgianbob

Another one for bibs, although I'd also second the point about going to the loo. Low scooped front can make taking a pee easier, but if you need a dump in a hurry, you've got next to no chance…

alexxx
    Free Member

My mate bought me a craft bib for my birthday, only had a 10 miler in it due to a flat but the padding in it was noticeably better than my £40 nike shorts.

never really had a problem with shorts digging in but it now gives me somewhere handy to stash my mp3 player and yep toilet runs are fun when you forget!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Skillwill – when you first try bib shorts on standing up it'll feel like the 'braces' are far too short and they are too small for you.

Try either getting into the 'cycling' position or trying them on the bike quickly – you'll find hunched over they suddenly make a lot more sense.

jond
    Free Member

>don't parade about the house

Not too sure what the nieghbours at the bottom of the garden make of me if I go out watering the garden – bib shorts with half height welly boots probably look a little bizarre…

It's worth keeping an eye on probikekit.co.uk – they often have offers on Nalini bib shorts – in fact:
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C8185
    – they're not bad at all (and certainly fine for <20 quid) – I've only really been using them this summer (3 pairs over 3 or 4 days commuting a week) so I dunno how well they last yet. Haven't yet resorted to wearing any non-bibs this year, yet.

BTW – the Nalinis seem to be a bit oversized – I normally wear 30-32ish waist stuff, had to order size 3 (26-28) to get the right fit – generally a big, plus the leg grippers were too loose (and I'm not skinny).

I haven't bought Lusso bib shorts, but judging by their Roubaix (thermal) and Coolmax (thick lycra) longs, they ought to be well worth a try.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts Vs Standard lycra shorts’ is closed to new replies.