Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best way to ride Helvelyn
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

North to south (Keswick to Grassmere) or south to north?

Is there much difference?

Cheers

lowey

North to south is my choice as you get to go down Dollywagon (and Grisedale) if you do it from Glenridding / Patterdale. The only decent down that you miss doing it this way is the one from Lower Man.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The Dodds (from the Old Coach Road) is notoriously grassy and boggy. Probably dry enough at the moment to ride, but its a grind and a half, both up and down

My favourite way is up the switchbacks up Keppel Cove (nearly rideable) and down Sticks Pass

Blackflag
    Free Member

Cheers

Is it rideable (N2S) all the way from the old coach road just east of Keswick?

Blackflag
    Free Member

sorry, my last post was a bit out of sync with ir bandito

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes, over Bruts Moss onto Great Dodd if its dry. the marked bridleway under Wolf Crag isn’t really there so will be a push up.

Alternativly, you can carry up from Thirlspot around Brown Crag, onto White Side to gain height quickly. Its rideable once you’re on White Side

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

Keppel Cove is theoretically rideable, although practically it’s a mission unless you really, really, like hurting yourself. Steep, loose and gravelly.

Grisedale Tarn->Patterdale is an awesome descent, but the trail down Dollywagon Pike to get to Grisedale Tarn is a bit unpleasant. It’s been stepped the whole way down but there’s a load of truly unpleasant wheel-trapper water bars. It’s all clearable, just not all that much fun.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone done keppel cove as descent? I’d imagine it’s fast, but maybe over too quick?
    How about Sticks Pass down to Glenridding?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Keppel Cove descent is very, very, very fast. Made interesting by the negative camber on the built-up trail switchbacks. A good brake-smoker.

I’ve only done the top half of Sticks Pass as I snuck off on the cheeky trail around the north side of Glencoyne. But it is very good and rocky.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cheers!

Garry_Lager

Went up the Dodds last year after a prolonged dry spell and it was really nice – an energy-sapping grassy track but not too steep so you could spin up most of it. Hike at the very end. Lovely climb really if it’s a nice day.

Sticks pass descent to Ullswater is great – very hard in sections but predominately singletrack. There’s a rocky switchback section above the mine that really would demand commitment to clear it – be beyond most I would reckon. Type of trail you want to ride again immediately after you’ve done it.

andytherocketeer

Sticks Pass ought to be a fun descent.
    Keppel Cove was far too fast to justify the effort getting up. Lots of walkers, but they all kindly moved out the way for us. Handy bail-out option if the weather turns. Was blowing a hooley over the top on the day we went up there, but then instant shelter the moment we started the descent, and it was like summer.
    Next time I’ll probably go up Keppel Cove, and back down Sticks Pass.

Blackflag
    Free Member

So whats the best way down if you want to end up in Grassmere???

Blackflag
    Free Member

Great Tounge or Birk Side?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Look what I found, Sticks Pass descent:

Grasmere eh? I’ve not been down that way, but I imagine Birkside will be very steep, Great Tongue will be a better ride. <Goes off to Geograph for a look>

So, head up from the Old Coach Road, down Sticks Pass, either back up Grisedale to Grisedale Hause, or push up Keppel Cove to go over the top and gnar it down Dollywagon, and then down Great Tongue. Sorted 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks for all the help. 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ooh, Birkside looks interesting:

(courtesy of geograph.org.uk)

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve pushed my bike up Birkside, I’d imagine it would be quite good going down if you have skilz, otherwise it might be a bit of a push down 🙂

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Birkside’s good, although there’s one fix the fells section that’s tricky (between your first and second photos). Lower Man, Raise, and Sticks Pass down to Glenridding is more fun.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best way to ride Helvelyn’ is closed to new replies.