Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Best way to lighten my FS?
  • akira

Yeah but use a Shimano QR and compare it to the Ti stuff you pick up on ebay.
    It’s only worth saving weight if you’re not downgrading in quality.

dickie
    Free Member

Why bother, you have two bikes, why do the same on both, doesn’t that defeat the object of having two?
    Or sell both & buy one that does all, may be a 120mm FS.

mboy
    Free Member

SDG I-Beam carbon post and saddle = 400g (£100) – probably save 200g

I-Beam setups are horrid to ride on though. Absolutely rigid, they don’t give at all!

Besides, Easton EC90 post is about 180g, Selle SLR is about 135g and usefully more comfortable than an I-Beam…

I bought into the I-Beam hype a few years ago when they came out, and regretted it almost straight away. Theyre not even as strong as you’d think, I’ve seen plenty of snapped saddles!

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, your I-Beam set up will be a lot lighter when the saddle parts company with the post!

Interesting theory, but no, IMO!

Kryton57

Dickie has a point and its worth remembering what I said.

I have (and will have a lighter say 24lbs) HT used for racing, the FS is the everyday bike that may be used occasionally for events when I feel comfort is needed. Note I am not in a position of going to 4th to podium!

Spending £400 on it would seem to me that dickie’s right – better to sell off the Tracer, and use the cash and the £400 to bag myself something like a Stumpy Elite, Trek EX9, Whyte T120 etc etc next year when the start of the new bike season has calmed down. That’ll get me to 27/28lbs.

Thanks though – I might invest in carbon post/bars but will probably leave brakes skewers etc as its a bit too pedantic for what is ultimately my weekend bike.

P.S. I use a 3l camelbak for everything whoops….

Dales_rider
    Free Member

You should have done as I said at the weekend, whats £1500 anyway ?

grtdkad

Bontrager xxx-lite grips = super cheap and very light

Crank Bros Egg Beaters and a Ti spindle upgrade for about £40 off these guys http://shop.titaniumspindles.com
    My pedals are very light (and I am not!)

bongo136
    Free Member

Fill your tyres with helium.

dans160
    Free Member

This weighs 33lb with the Crossmax on the back. I don’t see why yours is as heavy as it is. However, you could change the cranks and then brakes and then start looking at thet stem and bars etc. You could also change to lighter wheels but that could be big bucks. However, I doubt any quick wins would be that noticebale

M6TTF
    Free Member

Do you really need a 203 and 185 rotor? I swapped my rear 185 rotor to the front and put a 160mm on the rear, it made little noticeable difference to braking power and would save a little bit of weight

br
    Free Member

Aye, your I-Beam set up will be a lot lighter when the saddle parts company with the post!

Interesting theory, but no, IMO!

4 years in, no problems – but then on a HT you spend more time out of the saddle, so probably less likely to damage it.

And the carbon post with the latest FX saddle is very comfy, even on a HT.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a huge number of cases of broken I-beam posts, there’s a reason they’re always heavily discounted…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Swap the frame for the new carbon Intense Carbine, that should save a pound or two 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

There’s a huge number of cases of broken I-beam posts, there’s a reason they’re always heavily discounted…

Mine was fine for a year or so on my FS, ripped me a new a-hole when I changed to HT so I got rid.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Best way to lighten my FS?’ is closed to new replies.