• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best Tyres for use with Stan's No Tubes
  • zedbedboy
    Free Member

I've been trying to use the "No Tubes" system with my current Kenda Tyres but air keeps leaking through the sidewall and no amount of sloshing the goo around will seal it up.

Are other tyre types less porous?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

UST tyres? I like Schwalbe.

scaredypants
    geetee1972
    Free Member

Maxxis tyres tend to work very well. In particular the High Roller and Minnions work exceptionally well. I've used both myself on various wheels for a number of years with no problems.

Northwind

I've had no problems with my nevegal or excavator personally, I know kenda have a rep for porous sidewalls but after one ride that just went away for me.

gingerflash

My supersonic contis are very porous. It just took longer to seal them and more sealant.

Taz

Maxxis & Schwalbe both probably work the best for initial sealing though the schwalbe's are prone to side wall rips

Kenda's have worked well for me but they do need a little more sealant, more shaking and generally a bit more patience. I have converteed Blue Grooves, Nevegals, SB8's and the Han's Rey one (name escapes me)

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bontrager "Tubeless Ready" tyres

sadexpunk
    swoosh
    Free Member

are they old tyres and therefore might have cuts in the sidewalls?

sadexpunk

theyre not new but there are no cuts in the sidewalls. problem seems to be little patterned ribs on the kenda sidewalls (you can see them in the pic). this obviously leaves tiny gaps. id guessed the sealant would seal every little gap, but it obviously doesnt. baffled me. still does really, but im not going to spend ages thinking of why, just accept it and move on.

so ill now get rid of my 4 kenda tyres and buy a couple of more tubeless friendly tyres 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Anyone used Bontrager Jones ACX? http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager_acx-tlr.html

Thinking of trying some.

zedbedboy
    Free Member

Sounds like I need to perservere a bit more and add some more sealant

mossman

Tried Maxxis (Larsen & Ignitor) which pretty easy to seal
    Conti Mtn King, nightmare cos of leaky sidewalls
    Bonty Jones ACX, really easy the inside of the tyre gets a really good coating of tyre juice stuck to it which really helps.

Edit.
    Just clicked on your link…
    Those are the tubeless tyres which I have a set of, I can't get them on
    any rims but on-one without lots a swearing and several broken tyre levers.
    They're a very tight fit.

Shackleton

Done various Conti protection tyres and Maxxis ADvantage/Crossmark/Ignitors.

All fine although I always go for a gentle ride for 20mins with the tyres at 45psi ish to get them to slosh about and seal the bead/sidewalls.

thefallguy
    Free Member

of all the tubeless ready tyres I have tried, the Specialized Purgatory has been the easiest to inflate, it seats quickly and sidewalls seal the best. Tyre rides well too!

sadexpunk

hmmm just found some panaracer fire xc's in the garage. 2.1's. anyone any experience of using these tubeless?

or shall i just sell these, and my 4 kendas, and start again with 2 more tubeless friendly jobbies?

tazzymtb

sadexpunk- panaracers will stansify very nicely have done, cinders and rampage with no issues at all 😀

bear-uk
    Free Member

My pana's took a lot to seal, had to put loads of sealant in and leave them on a bucket for about two days, turning and sloshing a few times.
    They were porous on the stamped sidewall writing, Eventually all was o/k and they worked well enough until the crap weather arrived.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I use Stans with Kenda tyres.Generally,they have been easy to make tubeless,but the last one,an Advantage proved difficult. The rotating and tapping simultaneously method eventually did the trick.

tazzymtb

if the latex milk is showing lots of samll holes in porous sidewalls and not sealing at all even with lots of shaking letting to dry on one side etc.. you can try joes no-flats, seems to be a bit thicker, works better in the very chuffing cold and at higher pressures if you run speedking supersonics etc..

br
    Free Member

My riding buddy gave me (for the kids) a Nevegal that he couldn't tubeless up, as it just wouldn't hold air – so maybe there is an issue?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best Tyres for use with Stan's No Tubes’ is closed to new replies.