• This topic has 46 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Best type of music
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

Out of interest,

What is STW's most popular genre of music and most poular band?

Rock and ACDC for me
    😀

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was from the 90's indie kid generation so for me it would be The Wonder Stuff, Neds Atomic Dustbin, PWEI and all time faves Stone Roses.
    Present would be Green Day and any guitar based new music, love the Rifles and Young Knives. Jamie T's new album is brilliant too. Too many more to mention 😀

Dan67
    Free Member

my favourite music is dancey trancey stuff big basslines. But I do like most music. Cant stand proper punk though.

4ndyB
    Free Member

The Wonder Stuff, Neds Atomic Dustbin, PWEI, The Charlatans, New Order, Stone Roses, Pixies, Carter USM, Green Day, Levellers, Chemical Brothers, Mad Caddies, Foo Fighters, Depeche Mode, Primal Scream, Lemon Jelly, The Orb, NIN, Radiohead, Frank Turner, RATM, James, The Specials, Leftfield…

Bit of a mixed bunch really.

slimtubing
    Free Member

I think the majority of us Gen Xers are in the same boat music wise (am happy to be proved wrong) so if you chuck on anything indie/post punk through to the death of brit pop you'd please quite a few ears round 'ere.
    for myself it has to be Teenage Fanclub, Husker Du and The Chameleons.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Rock and Metal in most of its guises for me.
    Fave band of the moment is Within Temptation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Classic rock (the 'Smith, ZZ Top, Rush, Van Halen, GNR etc)
    Classical (Bach, Copeland, Elgar etc)

tazzymtb

80's – V.early 90's Goth, anything after that described as goth ended up as metal with bad make up.

mboy
    Free Member

It's all about the House music for me…

Surfr
    Free Member

Rock, Grunge, IDM, Trance, Acid Jazz, Classical, Soul, Glitchcore, House, 80s Gangsta Rap, Electro, 80s/90s Hip Hop, Folk.

Quite eclectic, me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Surely everyone else's musical 'taste' is inexplicable and usually awful ? What delights one person will make hundreds of others cringe. And there cannot be a consensus in these circumstances.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Rock and metal andsome punk too. Mid-90's metal for choice so stuff like Entombed, At The Gates, The Haunted, Unsane, Machine Head etc before nu-metal took over Grrrrr.

nuke

XFM radio weirdly sums up my music listening: they've just played the full version of Stone Roses – I Am The Resurrection but equally more modern music from The Temper Trap, Florence & the Machine, MGMT, The Big Pink etc and I enjoy it all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Neds Atomic Dustbin

Hee, I crewed for them at a gig at Uni once!

tazzymtb

singlespeedpunk- bloody hell entombed! I think I still have left hand path on vinyl somewhere

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

'80s thrash metal, shouty hardcore, and pretty much anything that's being sung like they mean it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rusty trowel – Member
    pretty much anything that's being sung like they mean it.

Never thought of you as a Chris de Burgh fan, old chap!

😈

TheBear
    Free Member

Folky bluesy soul for me.

Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, BB King and Otis Redding…

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Lots of Metallica at the moment, also RATM, Foofighters, Rise Against,Guns N Roses, Linkin Park, Prodigy and Nickleback 😀

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Mainly post-rock for me these days. Mogwai, Slint, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed you Black Emperor, but Oceansize are my top favourite at the moment.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i like both kinds of music

country and western

llama

last few days

dengue fever
    lee perry
    potishead
    miles davis
    tribe called quest
    the orb
    ramones
    lcd soundsystem
    slf
    the who

something for everyone there

iseeadarkness
    Free Member

blackgrass, ditchcore, clicks, scratchy and, my personal favourite, ambient death folk…

john_drummer
    Free Member

New Model Army, Southern Death Cult/The Cult (up to & including Love), The Mission, Bauhaus, Banshees, The Sisters Of Mercy, Fields Of The Nephilim, Three Johns, Skeletal Family, Play Dead, Killing Joke, The Damned, The Clash, SLF, early Undertones etc

But also Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Metallica, RHCP, The Smiths, Chameleons, Nirvana, Hawkwind, Foo Fighters, Fall Out Boy, MCR (ok, I know!), Motorhead, Muse, Kings Of Leon…

And now, not wishing to blow my own trumpet, but…
    The Wick Effect

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

iseedarkness, can I recommend checking out some skiffle'n'bass as well?

juiced
    Free Member

music is a passion for me – Punk, Indie, Electronica, Techo, Trance, Hardcore, Jungle, some Pop, Some classical, Some disco, Some rap , some hip hop…and of course grunge..

metalheart
    Free Member

Alt.Country/Folk for me.

Cat Power (surprise), Bill Callahan/(smog), Jason Molina, Will Oldham (in his multitude of guises), Sufjan Stevens, Jeffrey Lewis that kind of thing. Plus real country too…

Was a bit of a proto grunger back in the day. Been listening to Minutemen and Pavement at lot recently for some reason.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Lets not forget my as yet unformed Zydeco/agitpop band 'slimtubing & the broken hardtails'

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I think I still have left hand path on vinyl somewhere

i definitely still have it!
    anyway, grew up listening to rock/metal in almost all of its guises, and was particularly taken with the whole thrash metal thing from the mid 80s onwards. got properly into hardcore punk (due in part to buying records by any and every band listed on thanks lists on anthrax records!) in the latter half of the 80s, then sort of gravitated towards the whole DC/dischord/revolution summer "emo" bands (that's the original, REAL emo as opposed to the horrendous pseudo-goth bedwetting nonsense that purports to be emo these days)…
    also have a soft spot for 80s/90s rap and hip-hop.
    can't stand soppy UK indie, rave and 'dance' music at all though!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I like a bit of west coast garage punk Psychedelia
    The Thirteenth Floor Elevators, Electric Prunes, The Chocolate Watch Band, The Standells, Country Joe McDonald and the Fish, The Sonics, The Music Machine, The Seeds…………

deluded
    Free Member

Trance – Lost Witness, M.I.K.E, Blank & Jones, Push

Industrial – Front242, Nitzer Ebb, Front Line Assembly.

MrAgreeable

Really enjoying the modal Iranian jazz noodlings of Lloyd Miller at the moment.

alpin
    Free Member

i've quite an ecletic mix of music on the mp3. but, if i only had one style of msic to listen to i think it'd be soul.

i'd rather my kids grew up listening to that than some depp screaming into a microphone.

votchy
    Free Member

The best type of music in my opinion is……………live!!! Doesn't matter what style it is you can't beat live music, everything from pub bands all the way through to massive stadium/outdoor gigs, live music is where it's at

noteeth
    Free Member

Pretty much all of it, you dig?

duntmatter
    Free Member

Grime. Brap.

noteeth
    Free Member

Rave – specifically, the moment it mutated into jungle.

CountZero

My earliest musical memory is Nancy Whiskey singing 'Freight Train', the first rock album I heard was King Crimson 'In The Court Of The Crimson King', borrowed from a schoolmate, the first concert I ever went to was ELP at Cardiff St Davids, today I received Cerys Matthews' new album, and if you were to tune in to Cerys' show on 6Music you'd get a pretty good idea of what eclectic tastes in music I have. 6Music could well be my iPod on shuffle mode.
    Best music? It's all good, s'whether you happen to like a particular style or artist or not s'what makes a difference.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Was about to post untill I read John Drummers post Mines virtually Identical with the addition of The Cure, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Necromantics, anti-nowhere league, and shed loads of others ,could be here all night.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've got no kick against modern jazz, unless they try to play it too darn fast, and lose the beauty of the melody, until they sound just like a symphony.

That's why I go for that rock and roll music, any old way you choose it. It's got a back beat you can't blues it, any old time you use it. It's gotta be rock and roll music, if you wanna dance with me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Best type of music’ is closed to new replies.