Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • BEST town in Britain?
  • iDave
    Free Member

if i could move away from where I am now, it would be to Bath. No doubts.

felixthecat
    Free Member

no mention of Huddersfield?! (The Paris of the North)

cinnamon_girl

Am I allowed two?

Marlborough, Wiltshire.
    Rothbury, Northumberland.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ahh RRRothbuRRy, forgot about Rrrothburry! Lovely place.

cinnamon_girl

Gateway to the Cheviots 8)

ratadog

Fond memories of Northumberland, Corbridge with Newcastle within easy reach for when you need a big city but would suggest the Whitby, York, Scarborough triangle gets my vote.

RustySpanner

For scenery, walking, climbing and riding – Llanberis, North Wales.
    Expensive and limited local shops amenities though.

Reeth in North Yorkshire, Wooller (and anywhere within a 20 mile radius TBH) in Northumberland, Skipton in Yorkshire, all pretty much perfect.

Hebden Bridge; 'home of the teenage alcoholic' is nice, but I currently work there and have lived down the road for 15 years, so fancy a bit of a change. Lots of very damaged people and a lot of hard drugs for such a small place.

Merstone on the Isle of Wight (very happy memories of hiring this place
    http://www.hose-rhodes-dickson.co.uk/holiday-lettings/property-detail.asp?property=20
    as a youth 20 years ago – 16 of us, £100 each back then…)

Dingle on the West Coast of Ireland would be pretty perfect. Not in Britain, but I'm prepared to compromise.

luke
    Free Member

Swanage, is a dump but some of the outlying villages are nice.

Salisbury or Stockbridge would get my vote and hopefully a move to the area isn't that far away.

zaskar
    Free Member

Bristol is nice (Yes it's a city and county too -not Avon!)

Stamford is a nice town in Lincs, lots of places to eat for 30+yrs George Hotel is good to stay in for an old fashioned hotel.

Peterborough? I think every place has lower spec areas like Southmead in Bristol.

Peterborough has great surrounding areas and places like Longthorpe and F. Medows are really nice. You won't see them by driving through…
    It may be flat but if you're a roadie-there are some hills but there are so many routes and you ride to Grantham and back.

I was dragged to Sheffield to see some gardens etc I was stunned how big the staircase stream was. You really have to look for nice places and put away prejudice.

Just have a look through English heritage guides for places to visit.

Bath -I love riding there and back on the roadbike-plenty of hills and loverly limestone buildings, plenty of friendly places to eat and friendly walkers with their backpacks waving back at you on the cycletrack.

Bradford upon Avon near Bath has some nice places to eat.

Stowe Gardens is my favorite place.

Punting in Cambridge?

York cobbled streets -shopping town area is great too.

I love England! but then again I love this planet :O)

robdob
    Free Member

I love England soooo much it's amazing. Wife and I keep thinking about going abroad for a holiday and just don't want to leave, there's so much more to see!

My faves:

Huddersfield – where I live and always hope to.
    Holmfirth
    St Ives – strolling along the seashore at 10pm and popping into surf/skate shos which are still open in the summer. perfect.
    Bedgellert – just lovely.
    When I visit Peterpoddy – Guildford. Yes really! Nice cabal to walk along, ace shops.
    Cromer – the perfect seaside town with a front that feels like 100 years ago – no amusement arcades!! And in really nice nick. The bakery in town makes the BIGGEST pastries too 😀

Before I went to Brighton I thought i'd love it but it's just a dump. Dirty, smelly, crap shops. Why so popular? And to cap it all, everytime I think of the magnificent pier that has been allowed to fall into the sea it makes my blood boil. I though with all the money down south someone should have saved it. Certainly would not have happened if it had been on a northern coast. People really care about that sort of stuff up here. Ooooh I'm angry again.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘BEST town in Britain?’ is closed to new replies.