Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best Cut Gate Route??
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

which is your favourite for cut gate? which way around? and what ride to get to it etc? probably starting around hope/edale way??

any pics welcome too! would love to see some pics of the terrain etc!

bobbyspangles

cut gate is quite far away from hope, starting at Glossop does a good killer loop.

flyingmonkeycorps

We usually park at Langsett Barn, up Midhope Cliff Lane over the dam then right onto the farm road after the woods – Joseph Lane on google maps. Right through the farm onto Thickwoods Lane, follow this till you come to a gate – turn left up the rutted track. Follow this then turn left. Stay on this path (I believe the Cut Gate Path) steadily up the valley then down the other side, down to Slippery Stones. From here you can keep following the track to Ladybower, from whence you can add your own loop, depending how knackered you are. Then back the way you came till you get to the junction where you joined the Cut Gate Path. Don’t turn right, keep going straight on till you hit the gate and a bridge, then follow the fireroad back to the car park!

Hope that helps / makes a bit of sense. Badly plotted map below:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43341834

**edit** looks like this in winter!
    [/url] Cutgate by Will Slater, on Flickr[/img]

Andituk
    Free Member

Prefer it from the Langsett end, either just up to the cairn and back, or down to Fairholmes for a longer ride.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

done same as FMCs route (not section 30) from Langsett, excellent route.

flyingmonkeycorps

The route above is a “on a perfect dry day when everything comes together perfectly and nothing breaks” kind of route for us… It’s dead easy to add or subtract bits from the Ladybower bit, or just turn round at Slippery Stones.

Andituk
    Free Member

From the Langsett end, I prefer to go up and passed North America, and then turn left at the T-junction up onto Cutgate, and then on the way back, turn right at the junction and down to North America, then turn left through the gate, then right at the T-junction, down into what were the woods. Not many trees left last time I went, until you cross the bridge.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey – cheers for the responses! cheers for the map link, looks promising that, as it includes hopecross etc and climbing up roman road, probably where id start from! great stuff!

thanks again for the input! would i be better desceding down the american classic bit or climbing? coming from ladybower, so i would carry straight on and down, or veer off to the right to do the american bit?

antigee

oldagedpredators complicated but crafty figure of 8 2/3rd way down the post from 3weeks ago below is probably as good as it gets plus i reckon if you don’t cut the corner out of the Langsett Barn carpark you can visit the Bankside Cafe which deserves a plug (no relation)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cut-gate-5

flyingmonkeycorps

Personally I’d go straight on, but either way would be fun!

**edit** What Andituk said actually makes a lot of sense, though going straight on is fun too.

crazy-legs

I prefer doing it N -> S

JustGoRide
    Free Member

We tend to do this..

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=341

But you could always extend it to this if you are feeling fit..

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=243

🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

Straight on is fast and pretty smooth. Turning off towards North America is more like the rest of Cutgate, more rutty and sandy. I prefer to descend that way then climb up the smooth bit, although, straight on is fun for speed too.

peachos
    Free Member

My favourite way to get cutgate into a decent length ride:

Langsett – Mickleden Edge – Cutgate – Slippery Stones – Cold Side – Abbey Brook/Howden Dean – Lost Lad – Back Tor – Dovestone Tor – Whinstone Lee Tor – Ladybower Pub – Crookhill Farm – Hagg Side – Gores Farm (Fairholmes Descent) – fairholmes cafe – cold side – slippery steps – cutgate – mickleden edge.

big ride out @ 45km. you could start from fairholmes. it’s a brilliant ride.

antigee

My favourite cheeky way to get cutgate into a decent length ride:

Abbey Brook/Howden Dean – Lost Lad – Back Tor – Dovestone Tor –

nice but naughty (not very,very)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Peachos that is a cracking route mate

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

peachos do you have a gpx file of that route by per chance?? i have no idea where some of the places are 🙁

popartpoem
    Free Member

It was brilliant in the dry weather last Sunday 😀 Every time I’ve done it before it has either been raining, snowing, windy or icy (usually a mix of each!) … Always good though.

This is just a variation of the routes already posted.

This time I went for a quick blast from the first car park from the A628 / Whams Road junction. Straight across the road and into the woods …. 2nd track on the right, drop to a couple of gates … Take the left gate for a sharp climb on a rocky (but not loose) track … Keep climbing and go straight on towards Cut Gate proper … Ignore track to the left (towards reservoir & N America #1) … Descend then climb again … Past the track on the left that drops through the Heather to N America #2 … Eventually past the cairn and follow the varied descent across the paving stones & switchbacks … Cross the ford … Go round Howden / Ladybower (loads of choices here for a full day of it) … Retrace route up towards Cut Gate … Fantastic pinball run through the rocks … Eventually turn right at track towards N America (#2) through peat land & heather (real fun when it’s dry) … Left through the gate at bottom and climb (easily) to the original track at #1.
    Turn right here and drop towards the woods & home … Or if your having fun, as I was, turn left and go to #2, turn left and repeat to #1 again … Then do it again … Then go home 😀

It’ll probably make more sense if I plot it on a map & post.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

I’ve had a go at plotting peachos’s route.. I think I may have the return leg wrong though. Probably should return on the other side of the reservoir!

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=983

I’ll happily amend if wrong! 😉

Oscillate Wildly – you can download to GPX via the site!

Pook

North to south every time Dave. North America is a bit battered now but still a cracking return.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

chris – cheers! i cant find those bloooody routes you sent me a while ago 🙁 for cut gate, i never got around to it but im going for it this weekend! no excuses! fancy joining?

so chris/pook straight on then instead of veering of right on the way?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

JustGoRide – Member

I’ve had a go at plotting peachos’s route.. I think I may have the return leg wrong though. Probably should return on the other side of the reservoir!

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=983

I’ll happily amend if wrong!

Oscillate Wildly – you can download to GPX via the site!

cheers! but id be starting in and around hope so it would be just a little bit too long to add all of that in – does look a belter that though! interesting to see just straight down, and back up same way, rather than the american bit?

simon1975

My way has a cafe-stop at Langsett if you can stand being in the company of some members of the Empire:
    http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=456

The possible options are literally mind-numbing…

Pook

Just get on bloody bikehike you lazy get! I’ll have a look tonight though. Think I might have something lying about.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Haha cheers pook! Ill look forward to it! I can roughly figure it out just wanna make sure doing it best way!

Pook

Dave (you lazy get), ygm. 8)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Legendooooo! Hahaha I’ll check it out! Cheers if your about give us a shout!

frogrocket
    Free Member

Anyone ridden Cut Gate this week? Thinking of going tomorrow but not sure if worth it as has rained a bit with more predicted for tomo. Will it just be a total quagmire?

Going by train so starting at Hope and aiming to do Hope Brink, The Beast, Lockerbrook, round Ladybower, up and down Cut Gate then back down to Bamford with an optional extra of Whinstone Lee Tor.

Is it worth leaving this for a dry week so that it’s not a total peat bog slog fest?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers.

peachos
    Free Member

sorry wildly, only just looked back on here. i have a gpx if you haven’t already got one (email in profile), but justgoride’s route is the same…doesn’t really matter which side along derwent you head back – usually just nip in the cafe for a pie though.

nice but naughty (not very,very)

i have no idea why half of the stuff that is apparently ‘cheeky’ is not supposed to be ridden on. the climb out up abbey brook is a wide landrover track & everything on the top is slabs and rocks, so hardly any calls of excessive erosion etc.

frogrocket – i’d ride it mate. there’s not been that much really. it should be good!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best Cut Gate Route??’ is closed to new replies.