Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Best bike for 10 year old girl
  • padman
    Free Member

My daughter is getting into her cycling – started cross racing this year, but really prefers mtbing. She’s outgrown an isla bike Beinn 24. I’ m thinking of getting a hardtail next. She medium height – 140cm now, but growing fast. She also has 3 younger sibs to hand a bike down to, so worth spending reasonable amount on. Not really impressed by spec of isla creig 26. Was thinking of merida Juliet xs women’s bike. Any thoughts? Would like disc brakes and air sprung fork

Jase
    Free Member

Petite Womens Cannondale from Pauls Cycles?

matt_outandabout

We have a few mini-framed 26″ wheeled bikes.
    In size order – Isla Bikes Beinn 26 small – great wee thing, with added uber cush forks (Manitou Mars Elite, £40) for little ones. Cost £275

Carron Valley by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Trek 4300 – classifieds bargain, plus new boingy forks (Marzocchi x-fly’s – really, surprisingly good, £40 boxed and nearly new from retrobike) and lots of cheap XTR 8sp from Retrobike. Surprisingly light. Cost £180 all in.

Specialized Hardrock – latest bike in the house. Womens version, short, upright and nice wheels & forks – all for £250.

2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Cannondale F900SL – uberlight, great kit and forks tuned for 7st & 5′ mrs_oab, but noticeably longer than the other bikes in the TT.
    [
    Biking near Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Big-M
    Free Member

My boys are 9 & 11,

11 year old is on a 14″ Scandal with Fox forks, running an XT 2×9 set up – kids don’t need a 42 tooth ring, all pretty much 2nd hand stuff, I’m impressed it’s a light weight build. His wee brother is on a BeOne Karma 15.5 Hardtail, dual air Rebas, again XT 2×9, probably not as light as the Scandal but shorter in the top tube so more suitable for him.

They both used to ride my wife’s Gary Fisher Tassajara, that’s when I realised that they could fit on and handle small 26″ bikes. They didn’t want her bike as it only has V’brakes, TBH, they’re better off with disks the speed they seem capable of getting up to.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Best bike for 10 year old girl’ is closed to new replies.