Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Belper/Derbyshire riders, crichton chase help please.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I know the surrounding area like the back of my hand but still haven’t got over the other side of the river into the chase! I’ve had one failed attempt at finding something over there but not with much joy. Any pointers on a way In or where to head for? Cheers in advance.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Or Crich chase even!!

joemarshall
    Free Member

There’s one main footpath through it, from the canal just out of Ambergate. Most of the trails all come off that – a bit hard to describe but dead easy to find riding there.

Probably a bit muddy at the moment though, usually best in summer or when frosty.

sprocker
    Free Member

get yourself to the resevoir at the top then head back down the hill towards the fire station. when the road turns left go left through the gate and through the field, straight down over the wall left again. follow along the edge till you cross the broken wall then turn left up the hill. Bit of a climb up then you are there follow your nose down, several ways all good down to the canal.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Always finish the ride we’re on tomorrow with a run along the canal back from the wharf shed to shining cliff where we set off from. Can we cut up off the canal anywhere to get up to the top and then back down? Or is it best to ho to the end then ride up by the council yard or further on towards bull bridge??

sprocker
    Free Member

you can get up by coming of the canal where there is a slip way type road to the A6 next to a big house, turn left here through the gate and head up and you will find it

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cheers sprocker, we’ll have a gander that way tomorrow. Some good stuff over ribera way as well apparently, you privvy to that run as well?

sprocker
    Free Member

yep head up the road over to starkholmes from cromford decent road climb then turn right up white tor road which is proper steep. Turn left at the junction then very steeply further up hill. At the top(after rest) take the first left and through farm about half a mile take the bridleway on the left (just after road becomes track). Follow up to top then just fire straight down. About 3km which will bring on to a road again. Take first left down path for more descending through a wood :D. we do a route which does these to shining cliff and black rocks which virtually touches no road for 22 miles, welcome to join sometime (sundays always though).

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah would be good, I’m a wirksworth lad originally so black rocks is like home to me! Someone mentioned the riber descent a while back and referred to it as brown pants hill if i remember, 😀

h4muf
    Free Member

It’s all 10 minutes ride out for me! Never found it either!

What Res and what fire station???

the-muffin-man

Access Points…

Here
    Here (up Chase Road off the A6)
    Here (up slip road type road off A6)

You can also get in around the back of the Gas Works, but you probably need a local for this route…
    Here

And there are many tracks in this area…
    Here

No idea where the fire station is! And the res is underground.

h4muf
    Free Member

Well,i thought sod it i’m going to find it!

Went up off cromford canal.straight up the footpath to the top.
    Meet up with the proper path,turned left then turned right over the stile,up the field and onto Chadwick lane!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158724718

Found the Res too!

Look for this Gate!

Crich chase entrance. by h4muf, on Flickr

ssboggy

The brown pant descent at Riber is probably the track to the left off the main bridleway descent coming south from the top of Bilberry Knoll, if you get to the first gate you’ve gone too far. As you turn off the main track go up for around 30m then take the singletrack slightly to the right then go through a broken wall on the left, follow that down and you’ll come to it.
    Eventually you come out through Bow wood at Lea Bridge

ssboggy

Wrightyson, when you come back from the Wharf shed to Ambergate on the canal you could turn up the road at Whatstandwell towards Crich and get onto Chadwick Nick Lane and in by the gate on the pic above

sprocker
    Free Member

ssboggy, the riber one do you split of the bridleway to the left just before the gate into the field, I have never tried that.

ssboggy

Yes that’s the one. Its about 40m from the gate

sprocker
    Free Member

will give it a go cheers

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice bit of info here, thanks a lot for the updates! Unfortunately yesterday’s ride was cut short due to my two riding buddies having an off on the last steep bit of black rocks, one snapping part of his helmet in half. Offered some gaffer tape but they both wanted to go home and not do the chase!! Big girls 😆

pinch_flat
    Free Member

So i’m looking for a bit of advice about riber. I tried to find the ‘brown’ pants descent and while i found the motocross area with the three very steep chutes i couldn’t find anything to describe as brown pants. i took path afterwards- this path, did i take a wrong turn after the chutes?

DVATC1
    Free Member

come join the fun on a Tuesday night, theres not much of Derbyshire we’ve not ridden.
    http://www.dvatc.co.uk/2010/

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Yeah unfortunately my very unpredictable work patterns makes it difficult for me to get out on organised weekday rides.
    Anyone got any advice on my trail question?

benman
    Free Member

Brown pants is the motorcycle shoot, trail heads directly up the field afterwards to Bow Wood.

Now can we stop posting directions/maps to all the cheeky trails!

al2000

Benman +1

It’s not hard to find stuff, just spend some time exploring.

Carax
    Free Member

Matlock CC ride from opposite Stanly Fearns every Sat 9.30 often take in many of the trails mentioned above, Y not tag along.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Belper/Derbyshire riders, crichton chase help please.’ is closed to new replies.