Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Becoming a bike mechanic…
  • tootallpaul

I’m seriously contemplating a career change at the moment- been unemployed for almost 6 months now and wondering if a new direction would be a good plan.

Any tips for breaking into the bike business- I’m a competent home mechanic, and I’m willing to learn. In fact, I’d love to learn more…

Cheers all.

Paul

PS- I’m not overly worried about money. Job satisfaction is far more important at this stage in my life.

weeksy

Some bloke in London looking for shop staff at the moment in here…

weeksy
    tootallpaul

Should have said- based in Glasgow…

Shame though, that would have been perfect.

P

tootallpaul

And would it be worth investing in a Cytech course?

stumpyjon

Won’t hurt but I imagine most LBS will also want practical proof of your spannering skills.

Are there many vacancies in this area at the moment?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

PS- I’m not overly worried about money. Job satisfaction is far more important at this stage in my life.

Just as well, I’m trying to leave the mechanic’ing as the money is crap!
    Most places would be more interested in your actual ability than Cytech qualified, but many would put you through it if thought it would be of a benefit, but obviously you’d most likely have a contract tying you in to thier employment for a set time period if they did.

lovewookie

Freewheel North were looking for a bike mechanic. I imagine you’ll need a qualification, but I’m pretty certain they could help you out with that (and If they do I’ll probably see you)

get in touch with Norman at freewheelnorth@hotmail.com

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Worth keeping an eye on here as well:

Jobs

br
    Free Member

Go see all your LBS’s, and see if anyone is looking – even just for a Sat. boy as a start.

schmiken

Don’t want to be an arse – but you are aware you’ll spend much more time trying to get crap BSOs to work than nice bikes? Having done it for quite a few years that’s the one thing I’d really stress to anyone contemplating it.

druidh
    Free Member

The Bike Chain in Edinburgh was looking recently. I’ve no idea how that went, if they found someone or what qualifications they were after.

tootallpaul

Cheers all…

I will start trawling the LBS’s in search of a suitable (any!) position.

Lovewookie- thanks, I’ve dropped Norman a line.

Paul

StefMcDef
    Free Member

schmiken – Member

Don’t want to be an arse – but you are aware you’ll spend much more time trying to get crap BSOs to work than nice bikes? Having done it for quite a few years that’s the one thing I’d really stress to anyone contemplating it.

What’s a BSO?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

By far the worst paid job I ever had.

But also by far the best job I ever had.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

BSO = bike shaped object,

Its worth a try but its not all 3k bikes as someone put above. But its lovely job, generally work with like minded people and get cheap bike parts you can fit to your bike at work.

Worth a shot if your not doing anything else.

schmiken

BSO is a bike shaped object/catalogue bike/piece of shite.
    Don’t get me wrong, if you have good colleagues it’s great. If you have idiots and morons to work alongside it sucks. Hard.

That’s why I’ve now gone into a sideline business (weekends and evenings) as a lone bike mechanic myself. Feel like the thousands of pounds of tools and experience might as well go to some use!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Becoming a bike mechanic…’ is closed to new replies.