Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Bands you’d really like to see reform
  • CountZero

Don’t know if anyone has put a similar thread before, but this is a regular topic of conversation over a couple of pints, whenever yet another old band gets back together. Anyways, one caveat, all the main original members must be alive and kicking, no ‘one guy from an original four/five-piece’, please. (Thin Lizzy springs to mind…)
    Right, here’s my list for starters, * marks those I never got to see first time around.
    Genesis (Gabriel/Hackett line-up)*
    Talk Talk*
    Belly
    Lush
    Kenickie
    Star 69
    The Julie Dolphin
    Curve
    Pretty Girls Make Graves*
    Catatonia
    Creedence Clearwater Revival* (I think Satan will host the Winter Olympics before this one happens, tho’)
    Dark Star
    Six by Nine
    Dubstar
    Mulu
    Ten Thousand Maniacs
    Screaming Trees
    Soundgarden
    Talking Heads
    Tiger
    Voice Of The Beehive
    XTC* (about as likely as Creedence)

So let’s see yours then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Liitle Angels…..too posh to mosh, too good to last.

“I ain’t gonna cry, baby, not even gonna think it over…..”

And, of course, GNR, but I think we’ll see hell freeze over before that happens!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have seen half of Talk Talk live, with Beth Gibbons on vocals doing the Rustin Man stuff. That was very special.

Stone Roses was the first one that came to mind.

ChrisL

Faith No More – of course they have reformed, but the only date they’re doing in the UK this year is a festival with a line-up that is otherwise of no interest to me. 🙁 Hopefully next year they’ll tour properly.

ton

the jam……….. 8)

Nick

nah, whats gone is gone, move on

flyingmonkeycorps

Did Pretty Girls Make Graves split up? They were good live!

I dunno if I’d want these bands to reform, but I would quite like to go back in time and see them at their peak…

Jawbreaker
    Uncle Tupelo
    Unitas
    Soundgarden (totally with you on that one!)
    The Pixies
    The Dead Kennedeys
    Minor Threat
    Black Flag
    Jurassic 5 (with Cut Chemist, they’re not the same now!)
    Texas is the Reason
    Winter in June (although I did see them once)

Kenickie were ace live too and Tiger… I *think* I remember them. Gonna have to scour the record collection now…

djglover
    Free Member

The best bands NEVER split up

Home

😀

sc-xc

The only 2 bands I regret missing…

Have seen Sonic/Spiritualised/Darkside, but not Spacemen 3. Missed Culture Shock but have seen Citizen Fish/Subhumans a few times.

sc-xc

Jurassic 5 (with Cut Chemist, they’re not the same now!)

too right.

djglover – have you seen this mighty epic?

johnhoo
    Free Member

Siouxsie & The Banshees
    Shame Joe’s dead, otherwise I’d have to say The Clash

other than that, nobody really

theotherjonv

The Smiths – but I suspect that’s about as likely as Morrissey doing a corporate gig at the British Federation of Master Butchers.

nickc

Second the Smiths.

The Jam.
    Au Pairs
    Sundays

CountZero

Saw Beth and Rustin Man in Bristol. [hijack]Just got an email with dates for Massive Attack! Woo hoo, wasn’t sure if they were going to be doing anything live, and they’re playing Swindon Oasis. Result.[/end hijack]
    Shame FTM aren’t doing any dates this year, hopefully next. Never thought they’d ever get back together.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

can’t believe someone mentioned texas is the reason on here… saw em ages ago in leeds, one of the best bands i’ve ever seen.
    also, winter in june… hahaha!

personally, i’m not a fan of bands reforming really. they ended for good reason (usually) and should just move on. i think.
    although i had to swallow my pride when lifetime played in leeds a year or so ago, and yeah it was worth the 10 year wait…

slimtubing
    Free Member

Can’t beleieve the Mighty Husker Du not mentioned yet, for shame.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Yer at least they could earn a few bob out of it – to be honest 90% of the bands mentioned broke up for a damn good reason – that most likely being that a job in the local supermarket would pay more!

and remember kids

Home recording kills music.

Pigface
    Free Member

Husker Du were one of the best bands ever but getting them to reform, no no no no it would be awful. Can you imagine them trying to put there heart and soul into Chartered trip Away, Broken home broken heart, it would border on sacrilege.

Faith No More with out Jim Martin wont be the same either. I think its best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

darrell
    Free Member

only joking

iseeadarkness
    Free Member

Big Black
    The Modern Lovers

And for Rapturefest: Minutemen…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Pink Floyd, with Waters and Gilmore.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Specials, gotta be

meehaja
    Free Member

Specials are playing Leeds in a few weeks. best part of £50 if you want to ruin all your happy memories of what was a great band? IME never go and se your hero’s when they reform… the only good one I saw was the Who, and if you shut your eyes they were amazing. If you looked at them, it was like my dad playing air guitar.

That said, I’d go see the Get Up Kids i they reformed. They were great live!

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Rammstein

hora
    Free Member

AFI- Please please play!

Rage Against the Machine in a small venue.

Rammstein- Yes again. I took my GF (hates metal) to see them and she loved it (especially mein teil). Loved the atmosphere, the showmanship and the mental bass that was around the venue.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

That said, I’d go see the Get Up Kids if they reformed. They were great live!

they did, last year. don’t think it’s ongoing though, but they definitely played a couple of shows in the U.S.
    i preferred them before they added the keyboards though (i.e. “four minute mile” and prior)…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Rage Against the Machine in a small venue.

smallest i saw them in was newcastle mayfair (i think 2000 capacity)… it was great.

hora
    Free Member

xherbivorex noooooo I do HATE you now!!! Noo….. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Specials- I agree. I liked the old whistle test but not sure they’d have the same undercurrent now?

Same with simple Minds 🙁 never seen them (too young) but would love to (and probably ruin my impression of them)

Ps. xherbivorex dont talk to me ever again. Call it insane jealousy.

Haze

Rage as already mentioned, Fugazi (although not technically split up)

twohats
    Free Member

can’t believe someone mentioned texas is the reason on here… saw em ages ago in leeds, one of the best bands i’ve ever seen.

Was that the gig at the Duchess? I was at that gig and thought that at best, they were very average.

As for The Get Up Kids, they were pretty poor the 1st time around… IMO of course…

I saw Rage Against The Machine play in Manchester many moons ago, it were reet good…

robdob
    Free Member

Dire Straits. I love American punk mainly but if I had to have one album on a desert island it would be Alchemy Live by the the Straits. It just doesn’t get any better.

jojoA1
    Free Member

The Smiths (Saw them at Eden Court, Inverness in 87/88 I think and would have worked much harder to remember stuff if I’d known how significant they would be to me later. I touched Johnny Marr though!!! :))

Ben Folds 5

jimster
    Free Member

and remember kids

Home recording kills music.

I hate it when musicians/artists say this – if it wasn’t for bootlegging most bands wouldn’t be around, it was the easiest way to hear new bands/music, borrow an album of a mate – tape it and listen to it, if you liked it you’d go out and buy it.

Back On Topic, no-one – as has been mentioned bands split up for a reason.

Now if this were a “Bands you wished you’d seen” thread…..

jimster
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    The best bands NEVER split up

Home

Hate to admit this – first concert at the Malvern Winter Gardens was Def Leppard 1980.

The-Beard

Currently it’s:

Sleater-Kinney

&

Pavement (rumours are abound about this already)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Ps. xherbivorex dont talk to me ever again. Call it insane jealousy.

okay, well i’d best not tell you i went to 3 of the shows on that tour then…

Was that the gig at the Duchess? I was at that gig and thought that at best, they were very average.

yep, with samiam. TITR are one of my top 10 all time bands though, and i loved it.

Coyote
    Free Member

As said above, what’s gone has gone. You shouldn’t go back.

stumpy01

The Almighty
    Pantera (bit difficult though, what with Dimebag Darrell getting shot on stage!)

RaglanSurf
    Free Member

Although Hackett wasn’t part of the line up I did see Gabriel appear with Genesis at the Six of the Best concert at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1982, and coincidentally Talk Talk were on the bill as well although they weren’t particularly well received by the impatient crowd. I seem to remember more than a few bottles flying in their direction.

Would love to see the Smiths perform and probably The Jam but I think Weller’s past it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Bands you’d really like to see reform’ is closed to new replies.