Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • BA World Traveller – worth pre-booking seats?
  • IHN

Okay then STW wolrdwide jetsetters. I'm off to Sarf Afrika in November, tickets bought. I'm travelling in the World Traveller (i.e. Cattle) class cabin on a 747-400.

Is it worth prebooking a seat, if so, which one (all the bulkhead ones have gone already)? It's £20 each way, so if there's not much to be gained, I won't bother.

cp

emergency exits available?

aisle seats – if you've got long legs or don't like disturbing others to go pee, then it's worth booking aisle ones. Maybe – or just turn up early to check in and request aisle seats. Being stuck in the middle of the middle 4 on a 747 is no fun.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Absolutely definitely positively book your seat or you will end up in the middle of the block of 4 in the centre with no aisle access. You mention World Traveller so it's BA? Don't know why it shows a charge as you normally choose your seat when you book, at no charge.

You don't want bulkhead because that's where the people with babies are put because of the cot facility.
    1) You want to be as far forward as possible – better air quality and less bumpy
    2) At least 2 rows back from bulkhead – screaming babies
    3) Config will be 3-4-3. Go for aisle seat, centre block – access to the aisle, and no-one inside you needing to get out (if there are two of you)

Edit – everyone I know prebooks their seats, especially on long haul, so if you wait until you turn up at the airport you will get the worst available

nickjb
    Free Member

Being stuck in the middle of the middle 4 on a 747 is no fun

2nd that. I was stuck inside an old lady with limited mobility so couldn't easily get out. When the seatbelt sign went out I went for a wander and found a better (bulkhead) seat.

cb

check out seatguru.com – they have plane layouts and advise which are good/bad/stink of toilet type seats

thebunk

SeatGuru.com – hover over each seat for a review…

edit – beaten by cb!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would just check in as early as possible – chances of ending up in a block of 4 if you do that is minimal ime

the pay for your seats is a facking rip off – 30 quid per leg of each journey for me to houston and back- thats 4 flights – 120 quid !

i checked in early and got exit row aisle seats

my bud checked in at the desk in teh airport and got 4 seats to him self !

andytherocketeer

Online check-in 24hours before. Should be able to pick seats, print boarding passes etc. and go direct to baggage drop.

kevonakona
    Free Member

or make sure you fly on Friday the 13th. Pretty much any seat you want if flying to from the western world.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye by early i mean online – at the 24 hours before mark

only time i ended up in a window seat was when i forgot i was flying to london 🙁

-m-
    Free Member

You mention World Traveller so it's BA? Don't know why it shows a charge as you normally choose your seat when you book, at no charge.

It's been BA seating policy for a while; you only get to choose your seat for free if you have sufficient status, or are travelling on certain types of ticket.

I think the bulkhead seats are normally blocked out until 72hrs before the flight as they are held for families travelling with small children – and hence come with a significant screaming risk.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Yes – always pick yourself some good seats. Having the extra room and nobody in front of you makes such a difference on long flights.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘BA World Traveller – worth pre-booking seats?’ is closed to new replies.