Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • "Autumn" Waterproof gloves…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I need some waterproof gloves for “this time of year”, specifically for the Bearbones200 next weekend. I have Specialized Sub Zeros for proper midwinter riding and they’re ace, but will be too warm. I’ve had a few pairs of Endura Strikes, which would be ideal if wasn’t for the fact that they’re rubbish.

So, I want a glove like a Strike, but which is waterproof, has the insulation INSIDE the waterproof membrane, and doesn’t fall apart at the first hint of being washed.

Any recommendations?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Alturas for the last 5 or 6 years. Still going (and niffing) strong.
    Not overly warm.Just right for autumn.

sillyoldman

Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier WxB gloves are exactly what you describe. Not cheap, but they’re the only cycling gloves available that use OutDry technology which puts the membrane in the correct position (bonded to the face fabric) rather than in traditional waterproof gloves where the membrane sits behind the insulation material.

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    thomthumb
    Free Member

On One X365 gloves?

usually a fiver – and worth it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

usually a fiver – and worth it.

Which waterproof gloves are a fiver?

lunge

For this time of year I use these:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLPXFLAGL/planet-x-softshell-flanders-gloves

They’re not overly waterproof but they do keep you warm even when wet.

BadlyWiredDog

Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier WxB gloves are exactly what you describe. Not cheap, but they’re the only cycling gloves available that use OutDry technology which puts the membrane in the correct position (bonded to the face fabric) rather than in traditional waterproof gloves where the membrane sits behind the insulation material.

Not quite: Gore-Tex and others use a floating bag liner that sits between the glove outer and the insulation, so the insulation is in the right place, however water can pool between the outer and the floating waterproof liner, so your hands get cold. OutDry is a PU liner that’s actually stuck to the inside of the outer glove so that pooling can’t happen.

Big fan of OutDry. Mountain Hardwear use it in mountaineering gloves and I picked up a pair of those Pearl Izumis on Amazon last spring for around 25 quid, which was a bit of a result.

Kahurangi

Autumn riding is what the Aldi ‘waterproof’ gloves are for – but you probably want something that’s actually waterproof.

/edit – I had some dhb ones that would have been what you were after – but alas – not waterproof in the slightest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘"Autumn" Waterproof gloves…’ is closed to new replies.