Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "Automagically" (slaughtering English content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

In my boss’ quest for world domination we are using Mailchimp for email marketing.

In the tuition videos, the narrator* seems unable to say “automatically”.

What is the world coming to?

*American, at least.

mogrim

Been using automagically for years in IT stuff, have you really only just heard it?

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

Get wit’ da programme Grandad.

bencooper
    Free Member

It was briefly funny with IT geeks, wasn’t it? The same people who thought “exsqueeze me” was the height of wit.

scruff
    Free Member

Baking Powder?

GrahamS

Been used (in geeky circles) since at least the early 90s that I am aware of. Probably before that too.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”, hence some things just happen automagically.

DezB
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ever watched the film Idiocracy!? 😉

midlifecrashes

It’s all about re-imagineering the paradigm, innit bro. 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Twunts behaving like tween-agers imho

mogrim

It was briefly funny with IT geeks, wasn’t it? The same people who thought “exsqueeze me” was the height of wit.

Not really used as funny, more for situations like “it started working again, but I don’t know why and can’t be bothered to spend time investigating it because the payoff is likely to be considerably less than the value gained”.

tonyd

It’s a good word to use if you want to get senior management nodding agreeably.

GrahamS

Not really used as funny

+1

IME it tends to get used to mean either “works automatically but I have absolutely no idea how” or “works automatically through a very complicated process which I understand but can’t be arsed to explain to you because it isn’t particularly relevant”, or sometimes just “I wish to give the impression that I understand how this works – but actually I don’t”

See also: white box, black box, hand-waving, and timey-wimey stuff 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

mogrim said » Been using automagically for years in IT stuff, have you really only just heard it?

+1

Get wit’ da programme Grandad.

OMG some folk consider it cool 😮

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"Automagically" (slaughtering English content)’ is closed to new replies.