Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Attn Pentlands Users
  • ojom
    Free Member

Hey

I have (personally, not shop related but i don’t have a non shop log in) created a Facebook group for users of the Pentlands to share information and comments in an easy to collate way.

Please feel free to join if you are a user and are keen to help maintenance of the trails regardless of wether you walk, run, paraglide or trot stallions up there.

The aim is to get everyone chatting nicely and sorting out dates with the Rangers on fix days with TJ.

No arguing like on here please…

http://www.facebook.com/groups/335370013167009/?notif_t=group_r2j

Cheers

Mark

bigjim

fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

nah good moves, well done.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s 100 users already.

No wonder the paths are in such a mess 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

That’s what i thought CC…

bigjim

scary!

druidh
    Free Member

That’s 150 now signed up to the group. If we can mobile a small percentage of that on a regular basis, maybe we can actually make a difference.

In the meantime, let’s us the group to share information about trails, blockages and other issues.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Facebook threw me off so I won’t be returning.

My bucket & spade & man-power are ready to go though, i’ll keep myself updated through here & pestering people who are allowed on Facetook.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Waht did you do?

Nae worries – we will make sure you get to know

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Well up for more repairs this summer.

I’m not on Facebook so please can someone post up if a day gets organised…

Thanks!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

TJ:
    I was C Finnimore, not Chris Finnimore, or Christopher Finnimore & I adamantly refused to “confirm my identity”.

To “confirm my identity” they wanted my telephone number, another email address and a digital version of government issued I.D. Which, of course, they would approve and treat with absolute confidentiality. Of course.

Seething didn’t come close . So, let me know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How odd

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hi

any more for this?

Or any non facebook users want to put their 2p worth in as to where our efforts should be concentrated?

Ta

chriswilk
    Free Member

not on FB just now, but as a regular pentlands commuter I’d say there are 2 bits that could do with sorting.
    The main one is the water run off at the Glencorse side of Maidens.
    There is a bit near the top, just after the stream that now has water running down the path. Witnessed a broken arm on the ice there a few weeks ago. It must just be needing a channel clearing to fix, and it will cause a lot of damage if left as is. The other bit is where Maidens and Phantoms join. This really is a mess now, again, I think just due to a blocked drainage channel or two.

The other really annoying bit is the water run off towards the farm at the bottom of pistachio, but I guess that’s not really PRP ground.

kcal

hm. not on FaceTube, haven’t been in the Pentlands for 6 years (though first started biking there about 20/25 years ago); but sounds like a really good idea.

I guess I’m totally out of touch with what bits *really* need doing (and get the traffic to justify the effort) but Black Hill would be good, Maidens / Phantoms juction was always a bit of a mess and it doesn’t look to have improved any.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Maidens update.

Thismorning went over at 7am on the way to work – as normal.
    On way back at ~5pm work had been done on the drainage.
    On the Harlaw side, all the railway sleepers have been dug out a bit and run off’s dug.

Be aware, there is a new, metal water bar lower down than the last sleeper. This looks like a pinch puncture waiting to happen.

On the Glencorse side some work had also been done. The stream has been dug out again, a few new channels further down too.
    Met the guy doing it at the bottom and he was moaning about the spring right at the maidens/phantoms junction.

So it should be better for a while until everything silts up again.

druidh
    Free Member

Hmmm – it’s surely no more than an amazing co-incidence that I was out photographing all of these problem areas on Monday 🙂 The problem with the sleepers is that folk ride around them. I’ll have to take a wee look-see in order to determine if they’ve resolved that.

Northwind

I think the waterbars on the smooth side probably just need some turf toupes put round the side, to cover the damage and raise the edges a little… Those ride-arounds attract the eye, a patch to make them less obvious won’t stop everyone but it’ll make it less tempting.

druidh
    Free Member

NW – why can’t there be a wee ramp up the “down” side of the bar to encourage folk to go over it and not round it? Otherwise, the trail just keeps getting wider and wider again….

WB2c by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

You can already see a new line developing as the first “bypass” is now so muddy

Northwind

Sounds like a good idea to me.

druidh
    Free Member

chriswilk – Member
    Be aware, there is a new, metal water bar lower down than the last sleeper. This looks like a pinch puncture waiting to happen.

It’s not metal! It’s a strip of wood with a piece of rubber embedded in it. Looks like it should divert the water and let riders just rider over it…

P1020651 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

P1020650 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

druidh – Member
    NW – why can’t there be a wee ramp up the “down” side of the bar to encourage folk to go over it and not round it? Otherwise, the trail just keeps getting wider and wider again….

Is someone from PHRP reading this thread??

P1020655 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

There’s been some other work too.

P1020659 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr
    A channel running under the gate.

That won’t last as it’ll get trodden on from folk using the stone stile. The net result will likely be more water running down the top of Maidens.

And the wee burn crossing the path has been cut through so it doesn’t run down the path now. Shame – I always enjoyed that watersplash.

P1020660 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Attn Pentlands Users’ is closed to new replies.