Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • As the nights draw in….what digital "box set"?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Completely absorbed by House of Cards S1 & S2. S3 is on the wishlist.

In the past have also enjoyed True Detective (season 1). Season 2 didnt grab me.

Even got through Bloodline, but the story was weak-ish.

Gotham Season 1 all devoured.

Not tried Game of thrones. Not really been attracted to it, more of a crime/drama kind of guy, but willing to be convinced.

We dont subscribe to Amazon Prime or Netflix…..yet, but now we have fibre BB, I’m willing to consider. NOW TV just seemed really annoying with poor offering. But we are happy to buy boxed sets on Google Play and Blinkbox.

So, recommendations please.

steveoath
    Free Member

Parks and recreation
    Bosch
    Veep
    Wife likes Borgen
    Dexter

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ray Donovan is excellent. It’s a bit of a strange one, I think because of some of the subject matter it can have a bit of a disposable feel but overall it’s superb.

Edit: Dexter was my favourite TV until the last season, completely ruined it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just started watching Deadwood. At last!!

Ray Donovan is indeed excellent.

voodoo_chile

The following with Kevin bacon …intriguing and scary

sweaman2
    Free Member

The Blacklist – not sure if available in the UK but fantastic first two seasons. Hoping it doesn’t all go a bit lost in season 3 which is soon to start.

Also first few seasons of boardwalk empire.

honeybadgerx

I really enjoyed Vikings and black sails, both neither crime or too drama like, just thought I’d keep up the spirit of STW suggestions.

More on topic, I quite like Justified. Also, the shield is great as a less thought provoking one (plus 7 series to go at).

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Oh, and Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul if you’ve not already.

nickdavies

Netflix is well worth it I think for the serials – not big on TV myself but some of the box sets sucker me in for days.

If crime drama is your thing, I’m assuming you’ve done prison break and the other usual American suspects, the original house of cards is quite good. Look at some of the foreign stuff, Spiral/Enregages is brilliant French crime drama, especially the earlier series. Braquo good too not got more than a few episodes into that though.

Some good old British stuff too, The original tinker tailor soldier spy?

Am I the only person in the world who couldn’t get into breaking bad? Just never worked for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

Hoping it doesn’t all go a bit lost in season 3

the ever present threat to a good series. TBH that’s what’s put me off game of thrones.

BTW how’s everything going out there in lumberjack-land? You and yours keeping well?

footflaps

The Americans
    The Bridge (Bron Broen)

Wife likes Borgen

Same here, season 1 was good, but Season 2 is a bit formulaic.

Stoner
    Free Member

BB done (by me. Not really Mrs Stoner’s cup o’tea)
    Bridge been and done. Not sure there’s any knitted jumper drama we havent completed. Oh, oh, oh, hang on, what about the icelandic one with gandalf/dumbledore in it? any good?

The following and blacklist go on the list then

footflaps

Blacklist is good (in a bit of a silly James Spader way, rather than serious drama).

wallop

Where can one watch Parks & Recreation?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

The leftovers – a dark and slightly twisted tale of small town American coming to terms with post rapture breakdown of families antaganised by a weird cult who chain smoke. Christopher eccleston and liv Tyler – well worth a watch

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I thought The Following and The Blacklist were bit cheesy, gave up really rather quickly.

Stoner
    Free Member

“Enregages “

ITYM Engrenages 😉

Caught a late season of that and it was OK. Got the feeling it was passed it’s best. Since Im supposed to be working on my french I might start from the beginning again. Although I found the language so thick with slang and vernacular as to be v difficult to follow.

smilies people and TTSS both done. HoC UK done. Alan Clarke Diaries done. Jonathan Meades collection done.

isitafox
    Free Member

Vikings and Banshee

chakaping
    Free Member

Deadwood is brilliant, I think you’d enjoy it a lot.

And you’ll never look at Lovejoy the same again.

TooTall
    Free Member

Justified.
    It really did sneak under the radar, but utterly fantastic with the best characters. If you like rednecks, white supremacists, dope growers and other criminals.

fasthaggis

Bloodlines

Daredevil (better than an Affleck)

metalheart
    Free Member

I also liked Spiral/Engrenages. All flawed characters without a redeeming one amongst them! Brilliant, gritty, plus you’ll get to improve on your, er, vernacular French 🙂 ETA: I see you got there already, earlier seasons are better.

Game of Thrones, gwan, it’s highly entertaining pish. Why should you be the only person not to watch it?

I’ve also enjoyed Orphan Black.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think Id rather watch yes minister on you tube than parks and recreation.

Justified may be for me, if not her.

Have clicked buy on S1 of spiral, 8 ep for £10

footflaps

Season 3 of The Bridge starts in a few weeks IIRC, although minus Martin Rhode.

Stoner
    Free Member

where?

wallop

Season 3 of The Bridge starts in a few weeks IIRC

*hyperventilates*

REALLY!!!???

footflaps

Showing on this old school thing called a TV. I follow Nordic Noir on FB and they’ve been playing the teaser TV adverts for a few weeks now….

Watch: First Trailer for The Bridge (Bron/Broen) Season 3

Channel 4 apparently, not sure exactly when…

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you like crime drama then ‘The Wire’ really is the king of boxsets, the first series is more than 10 years old now so it’s almost a period piece now, but it’s fantastic TV, some of the dialogue is hard to follow, the accents are think and the ‘street talk’ doesn’t come with subtitles but if you stick with it its very good.

Stoner
    Free Member

did the wire years ago. Sorry.

IHN

Jordskott; the Killing meets X Files.

And, if you haven’t, The Sopranos. Basically ruined telly ever since 🙁

West Wing?

metalheart
    Free Member

Have you tried Luther?

Stoner
    Free Member

luther watched. bit meoldramatic.

Missed sopranos. Could try that, but like west wing it must be dated now.

durhambiker
    Free Member

In a totally unrelated to the genres you’re after sort of a way, Community. Actual decent American comedy. With Chevy Chase. Different format to each episode, the D&D episodes scattered through the various seasons are particularly great, as is the Law & Order episode.

wallop

Have you done Band of Brothers yet, Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

no. not a war tv fan.

Community sounds amusing.

shaggy

Mentioned before but The West Wing and the Wire 2nd here.

nickc

Dr Robot

wallop

Me neither, but Band of Brothers is a bit special. It focuses more on the character and relationship development rather than battle scenes. It’s very moving.

Stoner
    Free Member

Dr Robot

Mr Robot?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You thought the story in Bloodline was weak? I have nothing to recommend to you. (The Following is shit btw.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘As the nights draw in….what digital "box set"?’ is closed to new replies.