Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • arrrrgh Inbred and chain suck!!!
  • shaman
    Free Member

I had bad CS on my 456 (Red) that wrecked 2 chains and damaged the chainstay. Changed the front mech and have not had a problem. The old front mech had been on my previous 2 inbreds which had no CS problems. I reckon part of the problem is that we tend to build inbreds ourselves and maybe we just dont get all the settings right.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

robdob, think for a moment, chainsuck is only a problem once the chain continues to stay attached to the drive ring once it has past its lowest point.
    So something is making the chain stay attached, what do you think makes it stay attached, the frames magnetic properties?

Anyway, if we can’t increase girth as per sheldon brown to combat the problem, why can’t we increase the wheelbase a few MM?

brant
    Free Member

Do you take me as some sort of retard?

You are my 14yr old daughter and I claim my £5.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my inbred is a single speed; never a sniff of chainsuck. 8)

martinxyz
    Free Member

whats all this hammer,clamps,woods thing going on? like 2unfit2ride says,its the drive at fault. so why tweak something thats taking the brunt of another problem?

carlphillips
    Free Member

no drive at fault on my bike though..?

checked my rear mech and its pretty much a short cage but not a roadie mech, so i think i may take an extra link out (although i reckon my chain length is ok) to see if it helps any, failing that i may do the g clamp thing, how exactly do i achieve this without wrecking my frame? i assume you support the stays by wedging a bit of wood between them then belt the shite out of the stay untill a dent appears..? or wind the g clamp in till it starts to compress the metal (probably neater i guess!!)

shaman…a front mech wouldn’t cause CS.

renton
    Free Member

my inner and middle ring are deore steels and fairly new so they aren’t the problem.

i don’t get suck under load ,only when cruising along under no pressure and it sucks like a whore earning her money!!!

drive train is probably a year old.

going to hit my frame with a **** big hammer see if that will cure it

carlphillips
    Free Member

renton, as i mentioned earlier i twisted a few chains, if its doing it very often then it’ll be worth your while just checking over the chain and making sure there aren’t any twisted links as this’ll really make it suck like the whore you describe, my current chain has 3 power links from a ride a few weeks ago.

oh and its strange that my components came off my heckler on which i never ever got any problems (still prefer the 456 tho!!)

firestarter
    Free Member

**** me this has gone down hill and im steaming drunk. im sure a retard somewhere will be offended. brant i for one would like to thank you for the inbred i used to run and the 456 i do now 😉 until i sober up and then i may not . lol

Pieface

FWIW I have never owned an inbred, but I’ve only ever had chainsuck with worn Shimano rings (they seem to squash and deform creating little nibs to catch the chain, as well as wear down) and crazy SITS ’08 mud. Never had a problem with Middleburn rings whatever state of wear, except for the SITS 08 time, but a bit of chainsuck in that event was fairly trivial compared to what others had.

soobalias
    Free Member

brant, when are you selling these cheap simple steel rings?

*places order*

finish line green is sticky. tard.

CountZero

Thought I might chuck a comment in here, having read robdob’s question about him being a retard. I have a prototype frame that I bought from Brant, a 567, which is a somewhat overbuilt 456, (obviously). All the bits bar forks came from a Hummer. At the time, there were lots of threads on here about Hummers and chainsuck, a problem I suffered from myself.
    Using the exact same drivertrain on the Inbred I have the same problem. It’s usually when the chain gets a bit dry or gritty, but not always, the chain sticks to the middle ring when changing to the granny causing the chain to pull up between the ring and stay. To blame Brant is frankly bloody childish, he has designed a frame using existing tubes to get the largest possible tyre between the stays. If the drivetrain causes problems then that’s where the fault lies. You’re obviously not old enough to remember when chainsuck plates were a standard feature on frames because of the continual problem. Many Inbreds have been sold, very few seem to suffer the chainsuck problem. This should give you a clue. FWIW, my drivetrain is six year old SRAM X9 front and rear, with RF Turbine ISIS cranks, an RF ISIS Signature BB, also six years old, and RF middle and granny rings with a bash. Now, it could be that changing to an external bearing BB might well put the cranks out far enough to give the bit of extra clearance to stop it happening. Perhaps Brant could confirm. I can’t afford to ditch an otherwise perfectly good drivetrain, so I’ll see about getting a chainsuck plate, at the moment I’ve just got a couple of jubilee clips around the stay to protect it.

firestarter
    Free Member

thank god im not the only one that can remember my chainstays getting creamed in 1991 way before i could blame brant 😉

brant
    Free Member

Interesting stuff on chainsuck here:-
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=507203

renton
    Free Member

count zero ,you really need to read the whole thread
    im not saying the frame is the reason im getting chain suck but because of the clearance issues between frame and chainset when you get chainsuck it is tearing the frame apart.

now i realize i need to have a look at my drive train and see if its worn im looking for some sort of way of preventing it happening on the inbred as i happen to really like the frame!!

i already run lx ht2 chainset with external bearings and have steel inner and middle rings.

Brant is obviously aware of the problems people are having with the frame as he has now changed the design and put a “dent” in the frame where it occurs.

johnners
    Free Member

FWIW I had some problems with chainsuck on a Mk1 Soul, sorted out by moving from a 113 to 118 BB. I’m using Octalink though, the same option isn’t there with HT2, you’d just end up shifting the whole crank assembly to the right to get more clearance and you won’t be able to do it at all on a 73mm BB shell without reducing the crank/spline interface.

BigDummy
    Free Member

My maintenance and lubing habits have not changed much over the last 10 years, but I am pretty sure that my geared Inbred suffers worse from chain jamming than other frames (Kona, and Kinesis Maxlights) did. I understand that the chain stays hooked to the ring as a result of being dirty, worn or whatever, but a lack of clearance does clearly make the problem more dramatic. (I’m sure there are things I could do to stop it happening, the point is simply that I have not done those things while running other frames and have not had the problem to the same extent.)

It’s not usually a great problem anyway as long as you’re paying attention, the only time it’s really had a go a spoiling my day was Hit The North.

I might try socking it with a hammer at some point though… 😀

brant
    Free Member

vinnyeh

MBA had it sussed way back at the endo of the 80’s when Zap said elevated chainstay bikes are the future 😆 – cos you don’t get chainsuck (or at least the effects), and you can use shorter chainstays. Come on brant, how about an e-stay Ragley.

willej

oh and its strange that my components came off my heckler on which i never ever got any problems

I should think you never noticed the chainsuck on your Heckler, because of the elevated stays. I miss my SC Superlight and Scott Endorphin for that very reason; no chainsuck!

I’ve had some chainsuck problems on my 456 in the past but it stopped all together when I changed my RaceFace Race Rings chainrings to Middleburn Hardcotes. The tight chainring/chainstay clearance on the older 456s just exemplifies the problem when it happens.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is there going to be a steel or aluminium version of this beauty brant?

brant
    Free Member

BD. Both.

oldgit
    Free Member

Had mental chainsuck on day one of my 853 build. However common sense says that the frame can’t make the chain stick to the rings and draw it up into the space between the frame and rings.
    Re built it, checked all the alignments and checked for wear. I replaced the middle XT ring with a deore steel job and hey presto no more chainsuck ever again.
    Routine maintenance and inspection keeps chainsuck at bay, did plenty of solo 24’s on mine with no problems.
    BTW the green finish line in the black bottle is hellishly sticky, I end up with half my local trails in my drivetrain with that stuff.

renton
    Free Member

im using Fenwicks wet lube which i got cheap and have noticed that its quite sticky stuff so that might not be helping!!!

ive done the frame mod using a ball hammer and it seems to have give me a bit more clearance.

fingers crossed

johnners
    Free Member

ive done the frame mod using a ball hammer

Good lad!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘arrrrgh Inbred and chain suck!!!’ is closed to new replies.