Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Are Mavic 317 rims any good?
  • wl
    Free Member

I’m looking for some reasonably tough rims but not too heavy, to run Maxxis 2.35 tyres on. Anyone know about 317s? Ta.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Mine are wonderful, had them for a year on an Alpine 160. They make me moist just thinking about them. 😆

wl
    Free Member

That good, eh? I’ll grab a couple of pairs and some Kleenex then. I’m heading to Verbier in summer – need something reliable and tough for the endless sublime singletrack there.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

You could get them instead of those Crossmax wheels and spend the difference on a small bungalow in Wales.

_tom_
    Free Member

Mine taco’d on a badly landed 180.

james
    Free Member

317s on an Alpine 160, really?

They’re not overly heavy at 440g IIRC(disc version), though they’re pretty narrow at 17mm internal. A 2.35″ maxxis was about* the maximum I ever would run on my XC717 (same 17mm internal width I believe)
    I once ran 2.5″ maxxis briefly as I was using them as a spare wheel, the angle the tyre had to make to meet the rim was really ridiculous. I needed 50-60psi to reduce the pinchflats (which I still managed) with maxxis 1.2mm freeride tubes

If you can afford the extra outlay Mavic XM719 Disc rims are about 20g heavier and 2mm wider. At 19mm internal they’re not amazingly wide but they’re certainly give you a better tyre profile with a 2.35″ maxxis and you cen get away with 2.5″/2.25″ maxxis IMO (though a bit at the expense of the tyre profile)

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Not tried any 180s but done loads of skids and 3 bunny hops.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Out of interest wl, what are you running at the moment?

sherry
    Free Member

Would a Mavic EN521 not be a much better choice for the riding your intending? Yes its 100g heavier but also plenty strong with tyre widths of 2.1 to 2.5. Depends on your weight and style of riding though.

coatesy
    Free Member

Alpine 160s normally come with Mavic 321 rims, slightly heavier/wider,definitely stronger, but at around the same price they may also be worth considering for a wider tyre.

DickBarton

I drove over mine a few months back…rim was fine, hub was fine but rotor was humped.

Seems to be fine now…not the strongest and not the widest (think my next set will be 19mm, I’m running Conti Vert Pros and they seem fine but the tyre does look like a balloon…

Lighter than the tubeless ready high end rims, but I think they are 19mm and probably stronger.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I was going to get some but was warned off them by friends who have broken them quite easily. Having said that, these friends are quite heavy and ride hard so maybe it’s a weight/riding style thing. Plenty of people say they’re great.

maxray
    Free Member

Does 2mm make that much difference?

_tom_
    Free Member

Oops nevermind, realised mine was a 321 so disregard what I said!

wl
    Free Member

Cupid – I’m riding an Orange Patriot – last model they ever made and it’s mint, perfect for the Alps. Also got an Orange SubZero hardtail – also mint and also perfect for the Alps! The new wheels will be a second set I can swap to for the amazing backcountry rides I’ll be doing with Bike Verbier. I have 321s and they’re good, but I’d like something lighter for epics.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Wow Will you sound wild, i bet you have a goatee and can juggle 😆

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have 719s with 2.25 tyres on and I find it very squirmy at the back end. I am tempted to get wider rims….first choice is always Mavic though, I don’t think you can go wrong with Mavic.

wl
    Free Member

Cupid – I am. I wear a necklace with a bead and I don’t wear a watch.

spacemonkey

I’m still running my original (front) 317 from 2003. The rear got buckled beyond repair and have since gone for 717s. Well impressed overall. Will probably get another pair this year unless I get another good deal on 717s.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you’re sticking with Mavic I’d go for either 321’s or 521’s

How’s about a nice Stan’s Flow?

james
    Free Member

“Would a Mavic EN521 not be a much better choice for the riding your intending? Yes its 100g heavier”
    A DT Swiss E530/E540 would be cheaper, lighter(or the same) and wider internally(IIRC) though

“Does 2mm make that much difference?”
    When its the difference between 17 and 19, yes it does (as per what I said above)

MrSmith
    Free Member

too narrow for good tyre profile, can be prone to cracking round the nipples, would spend the extra on stans rims stronger/wider for the same weight

Northwind

I’d definately go bigger. People underestimate what lower end, lighter weight rims are capable of but they’re still not a good match for this sort of use IMO. 321s if on a budget, Flows if not IMO.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Northwind. You speak the truth my friend.
    UK knows it….

Mugboo

I have had 317 on both my HT & susser.

They are all slightly buckled but perfectly usable. I don’t treat them gently and one of the rears has survived a genuine 6 foot drop on the hardtail (landing not far off flat).

You get what you pay for. They are cheap, lightish, strongish.

Pay a bit more and you’l get better rims.

Running Flows now so we’ll see how they survive..

messiah
    Free Member

As Northwind.

317’s feel squirmy with tyres over 2.25 and under 35psi, and also prone to pinch flats.

Mavic used to make the best rims but they haven’t really changed in the last 10 years. IMHO they are now too narrow. Stans may not make the best quality rims and are probably not as strong as Mavic’s, but the extra width and design mean that the tyre protects the rim better, and therefore thay are currently the better rims to use. Mavic have concentrated on their own wheel builds and ignored the rim market for a few years, hopefully they will see whats going on and catch up… but they are French so who knows what they will actually do.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Wl, Your not that guy from Hebden are you who always shouts at white cars and only eats toffu?

woodsman
    Free Member

A bit light and narrow for that tyre size ideally. If you’re buying new go up to a 19mm for a 2.35.

I’ve got through a few 17mm Mavic rims in the past. Currently on 819 – works well and not too heavy. I used a 321 in the past, but I did notice the weight and it wasn’t any stronger than my 819.

As always it depends on rider and ride style.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Depends on what tyre size/pressures you want, the quality of the build, riding style and weight in that order, IMHO.

But on balance it sounds as though you’d be wanting xm719 or even 521 (cheaper and heavier but well good in my experience.) Also if you get into 521 territory look at dt e540 for similar wieght/profile/strength. I think crc do the last 2 pretty cheap at the mo.

Just get someone good to build them! Fancy/tough rims will still pringle and break spokes if you get them built poorly/in a hurry.

munkyboy
    Free Member

ive had en321’s on a nomad for 5years – had the odd broken spoke but still running like new

wl
    Free Member

Cupid – no, that’s just silly. I’m the guy who shouts at tofu and only eats white cars.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Did you manage to convince the guys on Dragons Den about the bamboo spring for the Cane Creek?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Go for the 719’s if you can. My 2.3 conti’s squirmed all over on my Xc717’s and they are a narrow 2.3 if you know what I mean. Got a pair of xm719’s with XT hubs cheap from Merlin. Much better and not much heavier.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Are Mavic 317 rims any good?’ is closed to new replies.