Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Are Google building a Terminator?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

seosamh77
    Free Member

dunno, but this guy is well down the road to skynet! 😀

LsD
    Free Member

I’m not worried about them building it- I’m worried about when begins to learn at a geometric rate and becomes self-aware…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Believe they are incorporating it into their Cyberdyne Systems division.

clubber
    Free Member

Presumably google are looking at robots per Isaac Asimov et al for the long term… Possibly with the (US) military as an early customer given their willingness to spend lots of money…

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one else LOLing @ the wrecking ball?

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ yes me ^^

Mr_C
    Free Member

No one else LOLing @ the wrecking ball?

NELI

LsD
    Free Member

I emitted a grudging “heh”, no more than it warrants. 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t be evil

Just buy a Terminator manufacturer…

Odd.

miketually
    Free Member

They’ve been buying a few different robotics companies, including some that do very clever things with ‘eyes’ and robot arms. The guy who was previously in charge of Android is running it.

They released a story after Amazon’s “drone delivery” story saying they were possibly working toward robotic delivery services; they do have self-driving cars after all.

scuzz
    Free Member

scuzz – Member

You do realise that if you keep giving money to Apple they’re going to build a Terminator, right?
    Posted 2 years ago #
    *Close but not close enough*

TooTall
    Free Member

I met BigDog a couple of years ago. Very unsettling.

maxtorque

I find the “Bigdog” piss take funnier:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJZVZFRFJc[/video]

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Hope So

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

JoeG
    Free Member

Actually, its the ED-209 model. The subsidiary is called Omni Consumer Products

CountZero

Mmmmmmm, Summer Glau…

kimbers

interstingly Google has bought 5 other robot making companies lately

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24764-the-mystery-of-googles-sudden-robotics-splurge.html#.UrAqlhpdVI4

sadly the chances of robots looking like Summer Glau are a long way off

Lummox

Just watched all the videos in the bbc story! Wow!

GrahamS

Just watched all the videos in the bbc story! Wow!

On a more “consumer” scale try this:

😯

GrahamS

Oops sorry just noticed seosamh77 posted the same link. Amazing stuff.

GrahamS

Incidentally when the robot uprising finally happens, does anyone really think they’ll deploy humanoid (or umm… doganoid) to hunt us down?

Why bother when they could kill you with nanobots so small that you wouldn’t see them coming?

gordimhor

Okay How much for a quad? 😀

GrahamS

Pricey if you want the good ones.

The Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 seems to go for between £230 and £320 on Amazon depending on the exact model and kit.

http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

teasel
    Free Member

That thing hurling around breeze blocks looks pretty formidable. If it doesn’t manage to hit you with a brick it’ll drive you insane with its hoof on tarmac impressions.

At least you’d hear them coming…

seosamh77
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member
    Okay How much for a quad?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SpaceCraft-4-axis-360%C2%A1%C3%A3-Helicopter-copter/dp/B009S32P6W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1387375146&sr=8-6&keywords=quad+copters

Contemplating this one for a wee bit of playing around with, £34, fast forward to about 2.30 to see it flying! 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhIn6IKvx8[/video]

GrahamS

Slightly different prospect that one though.

The Parrot has a 720p camera, Wifi, gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer, pressure sensor, ultrasound height sensors, optional GPS, runs Linux, is controllable from a smartphone and can be programmed in Javascript! 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Slightly different prospect that one though.

The Parrot has a 720p camera, Wifi, gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer, pressure sensor, ultrasound height sensors, optional GPS, runs Linux, is controllable from a smartphone and can be programmed in Javascript! Aye, but I’d like to see if I use the thing more than once before I spent any more money on them!

Ultimately I reckon I’d like one of those flying wings you get, take that up the highlands, and kit it out with some VR technology, thing you’re about 2 grand for that kinda set up though!

Would be a great trail finding tool! 🙂

GrahamS

Yeah I can’t really justify spending that kinda dosh either. 🙁

I’d quite like to program one up with target-tracking so it could do automatic chase-cam stuff. Wouldn’t even be that hard to do if it had something distinct to follow and there was nothing it needed to avoid crashing into.

seosamh77
    Free Member

That would be amazing, hadn’t thought of it like that. One thing is for sure, we are at the beginning of a revolution with these things imo.

GrahamS

Yep! Mate of mine recently went back to uni to do a masters in robotics. He is entirely convinced that we’re on the verge of a robotic revolution. Manufacturing ability, material science, computing power, etc is all coming together nicely.

GrahamS

Fixie Robot:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3vfSQePcs[/video]

crazy-legs

Re the quadcopters, do a search on here. There’s been a few threads on them, one is about 4 pages worth.

I’ve got a Hubsan (from Amazon, there are a few different models) and that Parrot AR Drone linked to above.

GrahamS

Is the Hubsan strong enough to lift a GoPro?

crazy-legs

No chance! Hubsan is the size of your palm!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Are Google building a Terminator?’ is closed to new replies.