Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • are chain reaction delivery times getting longer?
  • neil853
    Free Member

it used to be that you'd order one day and it's be here the next, now its at least two days and sometimes three. For mail order to succeed and be attractive for me it has to have quick delivery times, otherwise i'll pay more and get in straight away from my lbs 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2-3 days? How VERY dare they!

Taff
    Free Member

It's always been up to three days it was Wiggle that was always next day delivery but seeing as Wiggle don't seem to have as much stock as they used to perhaps everyone is going to CRC now

nickegg
    Free Member

Can we please ban all mention of CRC! It's getting very boring, sorry OP!

Are people aware that Royal Mail delivery the items not CRC themselves?!

anc
    Free Member

Yes they are a bit slower.. but not slow by ribble standards. Price of success I guess. Merlin and wiggle usually next day still. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

It's down to RM in my experience – it used to be 1 day to deliver here (my work) but then it became two days for the last few years and my most recent order was back to one day.

Jamie
    Free Member

It is still free delivery tho, so anything up to *gasp* 2 or even *swoon* 3 days is fine.

stumpy01

CRC used to be order one day, receive the next even if you ordered quite late in the afternoon. Wiggle were pretty much the same, even if you went for free delivery.

Now though they definitely seem to be slower & I don't think it's due to the postage, but the order processing. It used to be the case that you'd get the order confirmation very shortly after actually ordering, but now the order sits at processing for a couple of days before anything happens.

The problem (as I see it) with Wiggle & CRC is that it always did used to be next day, even if that wasn't what the postage information necessarily said. People get used to a particular service, and then when the service 'deteriorates' to something approaching what is actually still a pretty good service in terms of order turnaround, it is seen a poor service because it 'never used to be like that'.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No down in Devon – usually next day or day later IME 🙂

whytetrash

Yep stumpy is spot on…processing is now delayed…next day delivery just doesn't happen for me any more with CRC….still good BUT not as good!

Trouble is we now all know they can do it…just don't currently!

toby1

This week I ordered Tuesday and got a delivery Wednesday 🙂

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

mine arrived (in Australia) this morning after 2 months. Whole order held up by $5 hope brake rotor bolts being out of stock.

poppa
    Free Member

They don't garuantee next day delivery anyway. Adjust your expectations, place toys back in pram, carry on.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I'm usually singing CRC's praises but put in an order on 25th June, it was dispatched 27th and it's still not here yet. But if it's been dispatched i suppose it's royal mail to blame.
    Also put in orders with on-one, merlin, superstar and wiggle on 25th they all arrived monday or tuesday. Even a frame posted to me on monday was here wednesday morning.
    Hope i get a free water bottle for the distress this has caused! 😀

neil853
    Free Member

no they don't promise next day delivery but in order for mail order to be attractive they have to be competitive on delivery times. I like dealing with crc on the whole, their website is easy to work with and communications are good. It would just be better if they could get the stuff here a little quicker 😉

poppa
    Free Member

I don't think Royal Mail give free water bottles for late deliveries.

toys19
    Free Member

Its defo the processing time, I ordered 10 am monday morning, it was dispatch on tuesday morning, they state that if you order before 3pm it will be dispatched that day..

ianpinder
    Free Member

If you order a lot of stuff, more then 3 or 4 items they send it parcel force 48 hr as standard. Now that's not going to be there the next day.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

10 days and still waiting…..*

*replacement order was issued yesterday and upgraded to next day delivery, lets hope it arrives today!

hora
    Free Member

In a nice way to CRC -Ive stopped ordering from them. Part of what appealled to me was the 1st class-almost next day service.

philfive
    Free Member

CRC are getting slower but to be fair it makes little difference.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

If you order a lot of stuff, more then 3 or 4 items they send it parcel force 48 hr as standard. Now that's not going to be there the next day.

Ordered 5 items, one item being a set of handlebars so fairly big/long, 55 quid was the total order, sent first class postage.

Think the 48hour is on large items or higher priced stuff

Jamie
    Free Member

In a nice way to CRC -Ive stopped ordering from them.

They must be heartbroken.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well my mate ordered the same product at the same time from wiggle yesterday delivered to the same place (yes we should have ordered it together) and his has arrived, mine hasn't 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

foxyrider:
    Well my mate ordered the same product at the same time from wiggle yesterday delivered to the same place (yes we should have ordered it together) and his has arrived, mine hasn't

I think you may have invented a new game there….

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I agree that a day or two doesn't really make a difference, but it's a competitive market and prompt, reliable service is something that makes me order again from a particular seller. I've used highonbikes through Ebay a couple of times and they have been exceptional (1st class delivery, posted same day, fab communication).

Edit: Funnily enough I ordered something from Evans for the first time recently … never arrived but got a refund easily enough. In 8 years of living at my current address, this is the only time this has happened. Merlin totally forgot to send an order once, but held their hands up and apologised, so I'm happy to use them. CRC once sent me 1 medium and 1 small elbow pad … it does seem that some retailers "sit on" orders for 2 or 3 days though, which is a pain, especially when you get an instant acknowledgement.

nickegg
    Free Member

I thought the appeal of mail order was it's cheaper than elsewhere, free postage (if you choose that option) and you can just sit on your arse and not even have to talk to anyone to make the order.

Imagine that…it's cheaper, free postage and delivered to your door. Most LBS can get a part in for you as quickly but it'll be more expensive and you'll have to collect it….now which do you prefer?!!!

Drac

Ordered some seals for my Pikes on Tuesday, heard nothing from them no email or anything. They arrived Wednesday am.

hora
    Free Member

They must be heartbroken.

It was part of their USP. I doubt Im not the only customer. Retailers to ebb and flow- some up their game and soak up the extra business that CRC lose.

Saying that- they are a massive business and their churn rate wont hurt them overall.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Things do seem to take a bit longer sometimes but it's not really an issue is it, given all the advantages nickegg mentions? Unless you habitually order stuff on Thurs to fit on Friday evenings, but I've never taken it for granted that it would be next day even when it always was.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I think we forget that there may be just one or two slightly obsessive people on here who want their new purchase NOW!!!!! 😆

Of course, I do not count myself among this group 😉

TheSlider
    Free Member

Reluctantly I agree they are not as good as they were. Recently, I needed some gear cables so ordered from them 'knowing' they'd come next day.
    Not only didn't they come for 3 days but they sent the wrong things !! Kept what they'd sent and re-ordered as it's more trouble to send stuff back.
    Could've / should've gone to a local shop but I really like using Chain Reaction….usually….and the local shops aren't great.

hora
    Free Member

I think we forget that there may be just one or two slightly obsessive people on here who want their new purchase NOW!!!!!

I think this goes back to the basics. Successful internet sellers flourish above both other internet sellers and retailers as they offer something extra- one day delivery.

When you lose that bit extra you become one of a pack again.

If I have to wait a 3-5 days I'm more inclined not to worry about other criteria. It'll also make me more inclined to click on a couple of other online retailers to compare and possibly order from there instead.

Once upon a time you'd feel very confident that they'd be the cheapest (or one of the best) and have super-quick delivery time so you'd feel confident in just going there..

ianpinder
    Free Member

People want things cheap so they buy mail order, crc is the biggest and therefore has the best buying power hence, most of the time it's the cheapest. (Waits for each individual example where some one bought something cheaper somewhere else. )

If I want something quickly i'll go and buy it from a shop.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The prices they offer, the website they have (the best IMO) and the general service they give is enough to not warrant worrying about it IMO.

Had the odd blip with them but it's been very few and far between.

Merlin are good but has anyone noticed how their stock levels have plummeted?

Apparently the industry is getting a little tired of places like CRC and Merlin offering stuff at below trade prices so is starting to turn off the tap.

Wiggle are just too pricey IMO – my LBS beats them on many items.

All three don't do Specialized either – in fact not many big on-line retailirs do apart from Evans. Annoying if you like their kit.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think we have got used to quick delivery recently. I remember CRC almost allways took 2 days in teh past i.e. 3-4 years ago?

All three don't do Specialized either – in fact not many big on-line retailirs do apart from Evans. Annoying if you like their kit.

Yeh they are protecting their bike shop retailers and prices – I like speccy gear (not bikes) and therefore its just as cheap to go to LBS 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

I'll see your crc and raise you a dave hinde……

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Evans are crap lately. last two orders paid for priority delivery. First one took three days to appear, last one ordered on 30th june and its still not been despatched.

BikeSheff
    Free Member

If your that desperate for your shiny new product. They have these places called shops you can walk in hand over some money and walk out with your shiny new product. Give it ago.

Actually, I take it back. Sorry. I suppose trying to find one of these shops is a bit difficult when Chain Reaction have put most of them out of business.

Taff
    Free Member

To be fair I order brake pads quite often from Wiggle and they used to be next day when I was living in Plymouth, I now work next door practically and it takes two days. Maybe the post maybe wiggle but they don't process it as quick as they used to.

If I'm in that much of a hurry then I will get it from the shop or pay for delivery but it's just comparing with what used to be and what is now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘are chain reaction delivery times getting longer?’ is closed to new replies.