Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone tried one of these?
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

http://www.whike.com/en/

Apparently road legal in the UK. Just the thing for a nice stormy winter 🙂

fenred
    Free Member

Road legal?!? 😯

Wouldnt fancy taking the M25 on in one of those!

they do look fun tho.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

That looks ridiculous! WANT!

shindiggy
    Free Member

A recumbent trike with a sail, wouldn’t use one on the road. Especially if the wind is in the wrong directions so you could only travel in Zig Zags 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Good job the mast isn’t bigger – he would be elecromocuted.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’d be fun in Lunnon eh. I mean what with all the gusts from passing busses and the like you’ll be getting downdrafts and eddies from all over the place, and it’ll not go upwind very well, which means extra drag whilst peddling into wind and any effort peddled greater than windspeed will mean it’s trying to work in apparent wind mode, which means you’ll be peddling faster than windspeed and the sails trying to work going “into wind”.
    So.. it’ll work whilst broad reaching and running, anything else’ll be hard work.
    And..
    You’ll fall over if you get a gust from anything in the 45-70deg angle, which means you’ll get squished by anything following you.

Could be ok for the beach, but then there’s something else for that isn’t there….

Peyote
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’d be fun in Lunnon eh. I mean what with all the gusts from passing busses and the like you’ll be getting downdrafts and eddies from all over the place, and it’ll not go upwind very well, which means extra drag whilst peddling into wind and any effort peddled greater than windspeed will mean it’s trying to work in apparent wind mode, which means you’ll be peddling faster than windspeed and the sails trying to work going “into wind”.
    So.. it’ll work whilst broad reaching and running, anything else’ll be hard work.
    And..
    You’ll fall over if you get a gust from anything in the 45-70deg angle, which means you’ll get squished by anything following you.

So you’re not a fan then!

Personally, I’d give it a go. I reckon it depends on how quick and easy it is to put the sail up and down. If it had a QR like a dropping seatpost that’d be good, so if the wind was favourable, flip it up and off you go. Once you get somewhere built up, or need to go into the wind, flip and down it goes allowing you to pedal as a normal recumbent.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup, apparently the sail and mast store on the trike, but I guess it depends on how quickly it stows as to how convenient it is.
    Something like Lands ends to John o groats would be an interesting challenge, though crossing the Sahara is slightly more impressive 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah..
    Like putting a windsurf sail on a mountain board (ouch, one broken arm later)
    Just think it’s be a right old PITA to control in sheltered/restricted areas like roads in towns/cities..
    If you are on about wide open spaces then it could be quite fun zipping along at 12mph without peddling..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried one of these?’ is closed to new replies.