Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Anyone riding a cannondale prophet?
  • llamaknob
    Free Member

Noticed frames going cheap.are they any good?on par with stumpjumper or reign?

Stu_N

Cracking bikes, one of the first to crack the slack head/ steep seat angle geometry to give you something that climbed well and descended well.

I’ve just sold my MX, various minor reasons. I’d not have changed but I picked up an ex demo Cotic Rocket frame that is an amazing ride. I was looking elsewhere as I am slightly between sizes on ‘dales so the med I had was a fraction small but large was well too big. That, plus the Prophet was never going to be RS Reverb compatibile and dropper seatposts are very much in my future, made me Rocket-curious and now I have it there is no room for Prophet as well.

I’d urge you to try one – if you don’t like it then you can almost certainly move it on for what it cost you – but they are great bikes. I’ve had a lot of good times on mine.

iffoverload
    Free Member

bit long in the tooth, but i like it, good all rounder, get the MX version if you can.

ps gravity dropper 😉

Mugboo

My mate Simon loves his.

llamaknob
    Free Member

Thanks for reply seen em going for around £300 frame only I was thinkin stumpy but too rich for my blood at the mo but you say not compatible with a remote seat post,that is a shame I’ve fancied one for a while maybe not then ??any other alternatives around the same price bracket?

llamaknob
    Free Member

Very heavy?,compared to say a stumpy or heckler

Simon

Love mine, had it 4 years now and see no reason to swap it.
    27.2mm seat tube is not a problem as I’m using a Gravity Dropper, which is simple and low maintenance – just like the Prophet’s single pivot suspension (still on its original bearings). Great angles, 1.5 head tube so you can use a wide variety of forks.
    Never ridden either but Stumpy will be lighter and the Reign heavier.

llamaknob
    Free Member

What about sizes fellas I’m 5.9 with little T. rex arms medium?small?

Simon

I’m 5’9″, of normal proportions and ride a medium.

Simon

And here it is……

llamaknob
    Free Member

The frame design gets a bad rap,I like it. Thats nice.more pics please folks

alexdodd
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve got one, they’re amazing value for money. I picked my (none MX) frame with headset front mech and RP23 for £280 back in August I think. Can’t fault it, they have somewhat of a bad rep due too possible crackage, but right now, mine seems fine… I can’t really complain, love the design, the choice of slack & single pivot simpleness, seems a bargain all rounder, I wouldn’t choose anything else (for the money I spent) over this again. I very nearly got an older stumpy with one of the older floats. Pretty glad I didnt!

alexdodd
    Free Member

What I had in my hands but never really bought…

parkesie
    Free Member

Had one for ages great do it all bike simple to maintain and with the lefty max not much maintaining to do.

cossyrush
    Free Member

I built one up to ride as a winter bike a few years ago, to save my s-work stumpy.
    1×10, g-dropper etc…
    It became my go to bike.
    I stripped it last summer to build a covert, but built it up again in the autum, and again it became the bike I wanted to ride.
    I use 150mm forks and the slackest setting which is 67.5.
    The only slightly annoying feature is the seat tube which means you’re stuck with a GD dropper, which I don’t like when compared to a reverb.
    Building a five now, so it will be really interesting to see how they compare.

I saw a post where someone had 650b wheels on theirs, could be interesting.
    I’m going to hold onto my frame.

So in sort, I really rate them , great value frames. The did a shorter travel version 120mm as apposed to the normal 140mm.
    You can pick up full bikes for between £600-£800.

z1ppy

I did wonder about the 650B wheels, but they only work in the XC geo setting, bugger that. The 120 SL’s only difference was a shorter shock, same frame & can be even bigger bargains than ‘std’ one.

siwhite
    Free Member

I have an SL which has been my only bike for about 6 years. I can see no reason to change it – it’s a great machine. I’ve just upgraded the RP3 to an RP23 which has made a huge difference – the SL had a shorter shock as standard – and the next thing will be to find a Lefty Max 140 as the current fork is a Lefty Speed 110. Find a 27.2 dropper (best thing I’ve ever bought for any of my bikes) and you’re set.

Sizing – I’m just shy of 6′ and have a medium – I would try a med and a small to see what works. I come from a DH background so don’t like long riding positions – you might be OK with a med and short stem.

cossyrush
    Free Member

I think the 650b option could be interesting, what about that with a 1.5 deg angle set to get the head angle back?
    I only rode the bike once with on the XC setting, didn’t like it, it felt really high, so I swapped it back quickly.
    I’ve also got a 190×50 shock which might work with those wheels, and be a compromise between the two settings.

z1ppy

Can’t use an angleset with a 1.5 steerer or lefty, which are my options, but the shock idea could be worth investigating.

alexdodd
    Free Member

I’ve actually so far only ever rode mine in XC setting, i’m pretty happy with it like that!

robnav
    Free Member

if you use a 190mm x 50 shock the tyre will buzz the seat tower on full compression with a 26″on the dh setting,you may get away with it in the xc mode but it will definitely clash with a 650b.

robnav
    Free Member

i did have one by the way and they are great fun bikes, stick a coil shock on it and a pair of 160mm forks,maybe even a pair of 180mm forks and you`ve got a great little mini dh bike. used mine for a couple of years over the surrey hills mainly and loved it!

Doug
    Free Member

Go well as a do it all bike as you can also run a 200*57 shock in the XC postion with some offset spacers for 160mm travel. Combine this with 160’s up front gives about 67deg. Add a second pair of heavy duty wheels and your all set for the uplifts/Alps. Pop the aircan and lighter wheels back for all day goodness.

Sold it once and then bought it back as I missed it so much.

Got a Canyon AL+ at Xmas to replace it which isnt quite as capable but a few lb’s lighter as I now also have a dedicated Big Bike. Can’t bring myself to part with my frame again as it’s got a couple of dents so wouldnt get what it’s worth to me.

shifter
    Free Member

Love mine. Started life as a Prophet 3 but nothing on it remains as standard. Ran it with Pikes for a while, now 150 DPA Revs. Gravity Dropper obviously 🙂

Simon

I think the only original bit on mine is the seastpost clamp, I’ve changed everything else over the years.
    Biggest improvements were swapping the Pike coil 409s for 2012 Dual air Revelations and the Float R shock for an RP23.

z1ppy

AlexD, please try the FR mode, don’t limit your enjoyment of this frame by only ever using the XC setting. There a lot of fun

Simon

Come on all you Prophet lovers post up some pics!

shifter
    Free Member

Ok, ok! No need to nag 😉
    [/url]
    IMG_00000025 by woldspinner, on Flickr[/img]

z1ppy

Being used, not pampered… sorry for the rubbish, non-action photo’s but you did ask..

With Lefty

C’dale Prophet by z1ppy2, on Flickr

140 Rev’s

Bike & barge by z1ppy2, on Flickr

It’s just a fun bike, lots of ppl have used them as play thing (160mm forks), other like me just enjoy them as great handling fun trail bike

Simon

Looks good in black Shifter.

shifter
    Free Member

Ta. With added dust:
    [/url]
    DaleatDegla by woldspinner, on Flickr[/img]

kilo

Bought mine cheap of e bay for a winter hack a couple of years ago and kitted it out with cheap kit, bits from the shed and Marzocchi 44 RLO’s on the front. Has been a really good buy, even more so since changing from the xc setting.

llamaknob
    Free Member

Cant believe the response, this is a real favourite by the looks of it.I should have kept my mouth shut, the prices may go up now.someone mentioned cracking frames anyone had expetience with cracking on thier frame? I mainly ride trail centre due to being lazy and time constrictions, never dropping more than two feet or so.what set up would you suggest, forks, shock etc.and thanks for replys, great info

iffoverload
    Free Member

i have an manitou isx6 shock and rev 150s with a zero stack headset, corners like a dream, only prob is the trails feel too smooth 😉

llamaknob
    Free Member

Thats it im on the market in a few weeks, looking for one in black after seeing shifter’s but at that price I can afford to powdercoat.are the decals easy to pick up? I want it to look showroom before I build it.

shifter
    Free Member

<braindump>
    I’ve heard of some Cannondales cracking but not a Prophet. In 5 years I haven’t needed to change the swing arm bearings but I’ve been through a few shock mounts. The Cannondale lower headset cup is a big old lump, a Hope reducer fits but you get reduced fork top to down tube clearance. I dumped the standard BB mount front mech for a SLX seat tube mounted double specific mech.
    <endbraindump>

kilo

The Cannondale lower headset cup is a big old lump, a Hope reducer fits but you get reduced fork top to down tube clearance.

I ended up using a token reducer as the big old lump hope reducer seems to be discontinued;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38693

so far so good

z1ppy

They can crack but I’ve never heard of issue happening much (twice on here IIRC), adn there still a **** loads of them coming and going on ebay.

Old photo thread

lots of prophet threads before tags got taken away from the masses.

As for colour, the raw ones are much better than the ‘single’ colour frames IMHO of course (don’t mention the poo brown one!), but the only colour scheme I’ve been tempted with otherwise was this:

It just worked so well.

PS: they have a straight 1.5 steerer, so 1.5 or tapered fork bargains are the way ahead.
    PS#2: Ebay seller for graphics (there are probably lots of others)

Simon

I’ve got a Hope Step Down in mine with the deeper lower cup.

Simon

Qwerty Cycles are good for hard to find Cannondale bits and pieces.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding a cannondale prophet?’ is closed to new replies.