Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ridden trails round Christchurch (NZ)?
  • vinnyeh

I’m going to be in Christchurch for a month in a few weeks time, probably renting a place in Sumner/Redcliffs- is it worth taking my bike, or should I just rent one?
    It’s been 20 years since I left, and it looks like a network of stuff has sprung up on the Port Hills since then- is there enough riding to keep me occupied for a couple of sly hours in the morning or evening most days, or am I better off just hiring a bike for a couple of solid days?
    I’m visiting my family, with wife and wee kids in tow so won’t have a huge amount of free time, and doubt that driving inland, say, will be on the cards.
    I’ve tried joining vorb to ask the same question, but they seem to be ignoring my registration request 🙁

kiwijohn

Take your bike.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Take your bike.

A ton of trails on the port hills (everything from 25-30 mile xc routes to world cup downhill tracks, a couple of other places with little family / flattish loops too (Bottle Lake, Mcleans Forest). Some great riding inland if you did get time (can combine some of it with touristy trips to Arthur’s Pass etc.).

hels
    Free Member

Rode the Port Hills a few years ago was really good, although they are proper hills e.g. would be called mountains here, just to warn you !

joemarshall
    Free Member

A few of the trails –

http://www.onyourbike.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=15&Itemid=31

There’s also a trail map floating around somewhere that shows you what is black, red etc. Red is usually rollable, but bear in mind that black can be anything from really very technical, to sheer 20 foot drops.

vinnyeh

great, thanks all. Joe, that guide is quite reassuring. I’m looking forward to this now.

Coasting
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and get over to the West Coast.Far superior selection of tracks.Proper back country exploring.Creosus,Kerwins,Denniston,Blacks Point,Big River,Napoleons Hill.All world class,just to name a few.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden trails round Christchurch (NZ)?’ is closed to new replies.