Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone ridden in Oregon? Can I rack your brains?
  • neilc1881
    Free Member

Clearly lots of people have, but have any of you lot ridden over there? I’m off ot visit family in Washington State at the end of the month for a month. Last year we went North to sample trails at Galbraith mountain and then to Whistler, this year I’m thinking of heading somewhere new for a week or so. Bend was a place that some Galbraith locals mentioned but I was wondering if there are any other first hand experiences.

Particularly if you’ve camped in Oregon, any good sites for families? We’ve got a 4 year old and I was going to take her trailgator out there for a little singletrack action (she will be ‘set free’ on appropriate stuff). Was also wondering what bike to take, last year I was on the Five which was ace for Washington and BC, but would it be worth taking the mmmBop instead for Oregon (it is also more trailgator friendly) or should I stick with the Five and try and take out the new Pompino Versa for tagalong duties as well? Admittedly it’s a great problem to have!

Thanks,
    Neil

closetroadie
    Free Member

Not yet but I fancy going.
    Obviously check the Oregon forum over on MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Watch out for bears and poison oak.

neilc1881
    Free Member

I’ve established a great rapport with bears so no problems there. After a few scares in Yosemite I watched that Timothy Treadwell film and a lot of Yogi. I’ve worked out how to handle them now. Thanks for the tip.

marty
    Free Member

Had a few days in Bend a couple of years ago and we’re off back for two weeks more later in the autumn.

Two great days riding – Phil’s Trails are just out of town and has lots of fantastic singletrack. Next day we rode in the Ochoco’s (east of Prineville) and I’d probably rate it as my favourite ever route – finished with an 8 mile swoopy, dusty descent back to the cars. Hopefully the weather will still allow trips to the river trails.

We stayed in a house in town, so not able to comment on camping. Try http://www.visitbend.com/

BearBack
    Free Member

Visit Hood River.. coolest place in the USA (probably)
    Some pretty nice riding there.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Magic, cheers fellas, from the videos I’ve seen on YouTube I’m erring towards the full susser, what bikes did you ride there?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I rode in Oregon last August with my brother – fantastic riding, you’ll really enjoy it I reckon.
    We mainly rode around Hood River and Bend. If you can get a copy of the ‘Kissing the Trail’ guidebook then that’s probably your best bet. Loads of route options in there, of various lengths and difficulties, so you should be able to find some stuff to do with the trailer, as well more technical singletracky stuff.
    In Hood River, check out the post canyon series of trails that’s to the west of the town. It’s about 4.5 miles outside, so easy to ride to.
    Around Bend, we did quite a few trails, including iirc Surveyor’s Epic, Gunsight Ridge, Dog River, Paulina Lake ridge ride etc.
    If you go to Bend in August, take lots of water! It’s high altitude desert, and the temps were pushing upwards of 30 degrees by 11am when we were there – little wind either.
    Re bikes – I used my P7 with 130mm forks, my brother used his Santa Cruz SL. No problem at all, lots of fun.

HTH

RHSno2
    Free Member

Going there in August for a few days. Hood River. Can tell you after.

I am told by my buddy that there is LOADS

jimmy

Befriend David Hemming on Facebook. He’s the face of MBUK from the 90’s and lives there now, always posting sickening pictures of sweet looking trails…

neilc1881
    Free Member

Great advice again, thanks am off to look at more beautiful flowing trails… another sleepless night here I come! The missus is fed up of being kicked in the side every time I dream my way over a jump and give the sleep bike a bit of a tweek.

molgrips
    Free Member

I squeezed in one tiny abortive ride in Oregon. I did some fire-road, found a stupidly steep trail to push up and an enormous tree.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden in Oregon? Can I rack your brains?’ is closed to new replies.