Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone own a dual active sim phone?
  • sheeps

Looking at getting one, as I’m bored of having to carry two phones (need to keep work and personal separate)

Looking for some real world opinions, particularly around both phones being ‘on’ at the same time, and both sims able to get data.

Also, whats the warranty situation, as I seem to be able to find eu phones, but no UK ones

Ta

inbred853

Moto G 4th Gen, both sims in use at all times, except for data when one will need to set for that, but 10 sec to switch sim data preference.

cp

Oneplus 3 has dual SIM, besides which is an excellent phone. Android has options on what each SIM can do.

cp

What do you mean by ‘both SIMs able to get data’?

sheeps

As far as I’ve read, not all dual sim phones allow 4g data off both sims?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve found most dual sim phones have one slot for 2g and one for 3 or 4g, therefore only the sim in the 3/4g slot can use data.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, handy for having a work sim and a non-work sim in one phone.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Moto g4 plus. Haven’t used the ‘other’ sim yet as have a separate work phone and no ‘other woman’ at present (ever) ;).

jimoiseau
    Free Member

One Plus 3 user here but used to have a Moto G 3rd gen. On the moto both slots could use 4g but only one of them at a time, so the switch is via software only and as mentioned only takes 10 seconds. I haven’t tried it on the OP3 yet but I will be soon I think, to try out various networks as 3 signal is crap in my new flat. I can come back and update on how it works on the OP3 if you like?

Edit: A couple of clarifications: The Moto G3 wasn’t sold as a duel sim phone in the UK but was in Colombia 8) and having googled it, it seems the OP3 works in the same way as my G3 did.
    In practise, that just means you shouldn’t try using it with 3 unless the 3 sim is for data only, as that sim will be unable to make calls or texts when not selected for data (as 3 don’t have a corresponding 2g network like the other providers do). Also be careful with third party providers (tesco etc) as they may only buy 3g/4g services from their supplier network and not 2g.

pablojm
    Free Member

honor 7 – highly reccomended never getting a non dual sim phone again.

Same as others you select one for 4g, but both active for calls.

allan23
    Free Member

Moto G4 too for keeping work and home separate. [Edit, if you buy using the Moto Maker designer on their web site then they’re all dual SIM, if you buy from Amazon or a shop then be a bit careful as some boxed Moto G4 are single SIM only. Price savings weren’t that much going anywhere other than direct with Motorola when I got mine.]

I did have a Lumia 640 for a bit and the Windows Phone handling of dual SIM is far better than Android’s. Just a shame that M$ support for Windows phone is dwindling faster than the UK economic profile.
    Data management was nce on Windows too as you could do a kind of load balancing that used the best data connection.

I setup a separate work Google Mail account for work contacts, it all kind of works but I have to be careful of accidentally dialing a customer from the personal SIM. Windows phone you could specify which SIM a contact was linked with so it was slightly better.

There are a couple of modes of dual sim use for Android and I’m still working out which is best.

As others have said it’s calls and texts both live and data on one SIM.

sheeps

Thanks all.. being offered a Sony Z5 by work, which appears to do LTE/4g of both sims. Any experience of this phone?

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve got a Samsung Galaxy S7 dual sim. It is the Asian market phone which you can get off of Ebay.

I’ve used it when travelling as my local sim has massive charges on roaming (crappy Isle of Man providers). Mine has a 4g/3g slot, and a 2g slot, so I switch my sim to the 2G, then put a local sim in the 4g slot for data while in Europe. Works really well, and it means work can still get hold of me if they need to.

nickjb
    Free Member

being offered a Sony Z5 by work, which appears to do LTE/4g of both sims. Any experience of this phone?

I’ve found the screens on Sony xperia phones to be very fragile as has a friend of mine. Maybe not an issue for a work phone but no way would I spend my own money on one. I’m sure someone will be along to say they knock nails in with theirs but from the experience in our group of dozens of phones over the years all the broken screens have been on Sony Xperia phones

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I have a Chinese one for travel.

Cheap ones need switching off.

More expensive ones have the option to choose Sim.

Have not come across one that works at the same time but would be handy.

Years ago you could buy a dual sim adapter and put that into a decent Nokia lol.

ulysse
    Free Member

Mine just asks you what Sim to use on calls or texts..
    Sim1 4g sim2 work, 3g
    Blackview bv6000

whatgoesup

Galaxy S6 DUOS here from ebay for the same reason as the OP.
    Both SIM card slots do 4G data, but only one at a time – you can choose which and it’s quick to change.

Previously had a MotoG but found it slow and laggy compared to previous phone – the dual SIM aspect worked just fine though.

sing1etrack

The second sim sometimes has to go in the place the SD card normally would so check this if you need to use SD too.

twisty

I am using an LG G4 dual sim. Can do data off both sims or you cAn manually turn off data of one/both, you can pick which sim you want to use for outgoing calls & texts

Travis

I have an LG V10, which does the same as the G4.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a dual active sim phone?’ is closed to new replies.