Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone here got Wickes oak laminate doors…?
  • DrP

What did you finish them in?
    I’ve got a bunch on order as they fit the bill, but the instructions online say they aren’t suitable for wax/oil..Just varnish/stain.

I really like to use osmo poly oil for my wood (fnar) but can’t see a valid reason why I can’t/shouldn’t use it here..

Just wondering what you lot may suggest! Staff in wickes weren’t too helpful.. :-/

Ta!

DrP

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Try one with Osmo, just to see if it will take it. If it does, you’re laughing, as it’ll look one helluva lot better than stain or varnish. After all, Osmo isn’t ornery wax/oil.
    If it effs the door up try the other side with Osmo exterior oil. That’s more varnishy but doesn’t ‘alf take a while to dry…

DrP

Cheers…
    Though if it goes wrong it’s a pricey error!
    DrP

project
    Free Member

The doors are just block board or chipboard cored, and a thin veneer on the outside and strip wood down the edges, the reason they tell you not to use oils or waxes is because the solvents will react with the glue bond and lift the veneer and theyll probably refuse to replace the doors, so an expensive learning point.

Measure the opening at top middle and bottom of frame and ensure whoever fits them doesnt have to tak e to much off the sides of door to fit, theyre only covered by a thin strip down each side , and none at base.

If they get delivered they will probably be delivered in cardboard packaging, remove it all before you hand them to the joiner,check for dents, splits or water damage as they do come complete with damage, also lay flat with cardboard between to stop scratching.

Finally 3 hinges 3 inch long, and pre drill all holes as screws may snap.

project
    Free Member

Finally theyre very heavy so best a 2 man job.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pop into the store with some small samples of your oil, apply with a cloth and see what happens. Do it to the ones at the back of the the display and return in a week to see what’s happened 😈

unovolo
    Free Member

Got the B&Q version (probably the same manufacturer)I’d echo Projects sentiments regards trimming to width as theres not a lot to play with.

I used waterbased Satin varnish as I don’t like the Shiny,Shiny finish of normal Gloss varnish, seems to have worn well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here got Wickes oak laminate doors…?’ is closed to new replies.