Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone got a Sun Tunnel installed?
  • BlobOnAStick

Is it worth it?

I have a dark landing, which I think would be hugely improved by one of these, but I guess I’m looking at a fair old chunk of cash to fit it.

(For those who don’t know what I’m on about: http://www.velux.co.uk/Private/Products/Sun_Tunnel )

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The cost would be in the buying of it in the first place – I would have thought that anyone with a bit of DIY skills (and a long set of ladders) should be able to fit one really easily.

I think they are a great idea.

flip
    Free Member

Gosh who knew they existed?

Ace idea, shouldn’t be too expensive shirley, it’s only a tube..

BlobOnAStick

Cost about £200 for the bits, then you’ve got fitting on top – mainly I would need someone to do the roof tiles, I’d be happy doing the rest.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have one going from my mouth to my arse.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s the first world version of this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14967535

codebauer
    Free Member

“Rigid sun tunnel” That’s gotta have some mileage

mintimperial

My dad installed a couple in a windowless bedroom at their house. You still need to turn the lights on to use that room most of the time. The pic on that web page strikes me as a bit optimistic, presumably it’s blazing midday sunlight outside. Better than nothing, though, I suppose.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

mainly I would need someone to do the roof tiles, I’d be happy doing the rest.

If you aren’t scared of being on the roof I don’t think that bit will be difficult – I assume they have a plastic surround in the same way their windows do – so it should be a simple case of removing the tiles to create the hole, fit the plastic frame and refit some slates to fit around (and just cut a few of the slates).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

windowless bedroom at their house

BLACK! BLACK!

bigyinn
    Free Member

We have one in our windowless bathroom and it makes a real difference. As long as there is daylight outside (obviously).
    Essentially its just a 12″ dia tumble dryer hose with reflective foil on the inside and a round window on the roof.

bigyinn
    Free Member

“Why do they lock me under the stairs and feed me pins?!”

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m planning on putting a couple in too
    I was looking at these ones
    mine are planned for a windowless bathroom and downstairs toilet

MrTall
    Free Member

I have one on my enclosed landing and its very good. Came as standard on my new build house (6 yrs ago now).

Confused me on my first visit as i was trying to find the switch to turn it off before i realised what it was. Obviously depends on what the weathers like but always adds some additional light as long as it’s light outside. On a clear night with a full moon it can also still provide a little bit of extra lighting.

I’d have another if i moved house.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

My eyes are pies and yours are lies!

That looks a really good idea…

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve fitted a few of these into peoples property’s ..They are a major improvement. and fairly simple to fit.
    I would recommend Solartube as these seem to be the best I’ve fitted.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve always known them as sun pipes. Great idea but installation is key.
    I’ve seen a few professional jobs with problems, you don’t want your dark landing to become a swampy one!.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The one in the OPs link looks about the same size as a porthole on a ship so a very rough comparison might be to close your curtains in another room to about 6 inches gap and see how light it is then.

Surely there would be scope for the designers to include a larger collector area and some clever optics to increase the amount of light fed down the tube. I concede that that might cost rather more though.

carlos
    Free Member

+1 for Solartube

BlobOnAStick

Thanks for the Solartube links – they look much better.

I like the look of this one!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Sun Tunnel installed?’ is closed to new replies.