Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Anyone else trying to buy a Raspberry Pi?
  • CHB

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Looks like its crashed both Farnell and RS Components websites.
    There will be a lot of engineering buyers in companies not ordering widgets till they fit another hamster to the servers.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, I am. Disappointing, but expected.

creamegg
    Free Member

just seen it on the news and was thinking of getting one to see if i could teach myself simple programming

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve just “registered my interest” on the RS site, which was now available. I guess that means they’ve gone.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wikipedia:

The first batch of 10,000 boards are being manufactured in Taiwan and China, rather than in the UK. This is in part because import duty is payable on individual components but not on finished products. Chinese manufacturers also quoted a lead time of 4 weeks, compared to 12 weeks in the UK.

marcus7
    Free Member

I doubt they will ever be made in the UK…

dh
    Free Member

I read RS are going to take orders end of the week for some reason.

scunny
    Free Member

I was very keen on buying one to slap on the back of my tv and use as a internet media player/streamer (xmbc etc). But after costing up buying a multiple usb power source, external hard drive, SD card, keyboard and mouse, it was only a few £ cheaper than the Apple TV2 (jailbroken) that i’ve ended up with.

I’ll still be getting a model B to play around with when they’re available, i might wait till the 2nd/3rd batch now though.

tootallpaul

Looks like there all gone.

Think I’ll be joining Scunny in waiting.

I suppose that means I’ll get one with a case, and XBMC will be all sorted!

🙂

Glad to see they are getting so much interest!

P

willard

Bloke at work has been avidly waiting for one for the last few weeks. My favourite game has been telling him that their shipping date has been delayed.

The expression on his face… Priceless!

aracer
    Free Member

Somehow I missed all the pre-launch hype about these. Has anybody actually managed to buy one of these, or is it all still on pre-order? Gutted if I’ve missed out, given that this morning I am usually in the local school doing IT stuff, and it would be cool to take one in next week (rather than them all going to IT nerds).

miketually
    Free Member

To me, it’s looking more and more like these are all going to be bought up by people wanting to use them as toys and/or entertainment devices and less like they’re going to end up in the hands of kids to use to learn programming.

just seen it on the news and was thinking of getting one to see if i could teach myself simple programming

You don’t need a Raspberry Pi to teach yourself simple programming. But, kids whose parents are scared of letting them loose on the family PC do.

deadslow

There is one available on fleabay! Cheeky git as is a preorder one! Fleabay

br
    Free Member

I’ve a C64 at my folks home, maybe its time to bang it on ebay?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Try not to be too gutted aracer. The first lot are meant to be going to the IT nerds, so that they can write the software for the boards that will enable you everyone else to do something with them.

aracer
    Free Member

Fair enough – I’m just still a bit in the dark – reading on it seems the educational launch isn’t supposed to be until later. Still plan to get one into school if I can get my hands on one before then – we do pride ourselves on being at the leading edge on IT here!

AlexSimon

For kids to learn programming – there is Lego Mindstorms.
    Although as I’m not a programmer, he’s on his own!

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m wanting one even more than I want an iPad3!!

Rachel

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m going to use one as a wireless bridge, media streamer, openvpn client and TV downloader. Should keep me busy 😉

andytherocketeer

I’m wanting one even more than I want an iPad3!!

Judging by the way 2 of the biggest international component distributors got totally DDOSed, you are not alone.

To me, it’s looking more and more like these are all going to be bought up by people wanting to use them as toys and/or entertainment devices and less like they’re going to end up in the hands of kids to use to learn programming.

^^ that.

I knew they’d be a sellout but was expecting their site to go down.

Rumours now suggest that the prices are going up significantly. No way in hell am I gonna buy one off ebay. tbh, I don’t really need one, but would have been fun to play with.

GrahamS

You don’t need a Raspberry Pi to teach yourself simple programming. But, kids whose parents are scared of letting them loose on the family PC do.

Virtual Machines FTW!

Milkie
    Free Member

Has anyone ordered one yet?

I’ve filled out the form from RS, but haven’t heard anything. 😕

SammyC
    Free Member

Rumours now suggest that the prices are going up significantly.

I think that was David B. being misquoted when he was talking about the price of the schools version @ £75 which includes a lot of extra stuff like teaching guides, documentation etc etc.

IIRC the price point for the base A/B models stays the same and may even come down.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Looks like its crashed both Farnell and RS Components websites.

If it’s responsible for Farnell being down at the moment then I’m mighty pissed off.
    Come to think of it if they’re not responsible, I’m still mighty pissed off with Farnell being down.

I was going to get one, but realistically I’ve got so many other things I can program and not use, that another such object isn’t high on my list at the moment.

aracer
    Free Member

Though if you read the info (I now have) it appears the educational launch will come later, so there will be some for kids then. Personally if I do manage to get hold of one, it should at least get somewhere near the hands of some kids – have now been into school and had a chat with the other IT chap there. He’s also trying to order one, and when we get one, as a first step to try plumbing it into our VM network, though I’d also like to try and push them as a technology thing for the kids to do stuff with (it is only a primary, so probably aimed a bit above them, but the Y6 kids are pretty bright). Just need to speak to the right people so we get signed up with the educational program.

From the sounds of things there were some available for direct sale from Farnell this morning, though they all went within minutes, and now pre-order there. The RS thing is just an expression of interest – apparently they’ll actually be selling them next week.

aracer
    Free Member

realistically I’ve got so many other things I can program and not use, that another such object isn’t high on my list at the moment.

Oh yes – me too, and lots of projects I never quite seem to get round to (just added another huge time sink trying to learn Android dev). The thing is, this has an incredible spec. for the price. The only downer on that is the video output – it might seem to make more sense to just plug in to a TV for home use (just like the old days of ZX81/BBC B), but in school we have banks of monitors – no phono or HDMI on those.

Interesting to see the “educational” price. Knowing the sort of budget we have in school, hopefully we can just buy the standard version and maybe just one set of extras.

It does appear this is responsible for the DDOS on Farnell – though it’s coming up and down, so you should be able to sneak an order in. RS appears to have recovered.

br
    Free Member

Interesting to see the “educational” price. Knowing the sort of budget we have in school, hopefully we can just buy the standard version and maybe just one set of extras.

to copy?

aracer
    Free Member

to copy?

Well I’m assuming given the way this is being marketed they wouldn’t have a big problem with that if it’s what it came down to. Though I’m also assuming we wouldn’t need or want to copy the whole pack (and that there must be a lot more to it than documentation for the price – I mean for most embedded stuff like this, doc is free to download). No need for more than one teaching guide.

We shall have to see – I know there’s no spare money in the pot for this though.

allthegear
    Free Member

aracer – the HDMI standard was chosen precisely because it has the widest support. If your school monitors have DVI sockets, all you need are cables with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other – plenty of those around.

(HDMI is a superset of the DVI standard)

Rachel

aracer
    Free Member

If your school monitors have DVI sockets, all you need are cables with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other – plenty of those around.

(HDMI is a superset of the DVI standard)

Ah now that’s something I didn’t know – but then I’m not really up with all this new fangled stuff like HDMI (still a good old CRT TV here 😉 ). The IT at school is bangernomics as well, but I think we have monitors with DVI (mine here is only good old analogue).

Cougar

Give it a couple of months and we’ll be up to the fetlocks in the buggers.

Personally, I’d wait till the v2 comes out, mass-produced and with all the bugs ironed out by the poor sod early adopters.

Russell96

Mines arrived today, been laid up all week with a stomach bug so it’ll have to wait a little while longer until I have the energy to have a good tinker with it. Have to say it’s smaller than you think it it.

andytherocketeer

Got an email telling me mine will ship 1st weekend in June.

Just got back from business trip to find UPS bloke had posted it 🙂

Need to find a PSU for it now before I can actually do anything with it.

roady_tony
    Free Member

i’m still hoping that IT companies decide to retrain experienced IT job seekers rather than complaining no one knows how to Program anymore…. (after years of outsourcing programming to various other countries that now become too expensive and have zero initiative and require a lot of management and handholding (IMHE) )

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Mine came yesterday. Runs Debian Squeeze reasonably and runs XBMC fairly slowly but the streaming (Youtube, full screen, 720p) is perfect.
    Another late night tonight no doubt…

tootallpaul

Order placed- 10 weeks lead time.

There was a chap on here who was working with a school to make cases- anyone know how to get hold of him?

Cheers!

P

willard

Still waiting. I guess I’m at the back of the queue (AGAIN) for one.

All I need it to do really is act as a VPN end-point at home. Nothing taxing really. Maybe a media streamer and SSH server too, but nothing really special.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mine arrived over the weekend.

Note to all, don’t try to get by with a 700mA supply for it, it won’t network if you do.

andytherocketeer

Got mine c/o Farnell a while back. Works fine off a stock HTC microUSB charger 🙂

Got my code to buy c/o RS about 2 weeks ago. If I order today, estimated shipping date would be mid/late-September! RS must have lost 1000’s of potential sales to Farnell.

aracer
    Free Member

Note to all, don’t try to get by with a 700mA supply for it, it won’t network if you do.

Depends whether it’s a genuine 700mA supply or just labelled as such.

RS must have lost 1000’s of potential sales to Farnell.

How so? The lead time doesn’t seem too dissimilar between the two – when would you get one if you ordered from Farnell today? Mine came from RS a week or so ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else trying to buy a Raspberry Pi?’ is closed to new replies.