Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone bought a camera from the cheapo Hong Kong electronics stores?
  • mudmuncher

My canon 30D died recently and thinking of replacing with a 70D or even 6D.

I can save literally hundreds buying from places like SLR-hut or simply electronics who are based in Hong Kong but ship to the UK. Anyone have any experiences of these companies.

There seem to be pretty mixed reviews, but I guess if I pay using PayPal or credit card I can get my money back if it doesn’t turn up.

richmars

Yes, I got a Canon 60D last year from Digital Rev. Only problem was I had it delivered to my work address, and the importers thought it was a business item, so held it pending payment. I had to phone to tell them it was private. Nothing to do with Digital Rev who helped with some emails.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I used HDEW who are UK based but obviouslly/perhaps/maybe have a grey source. Good price – good service.

mudmuncher

Just checked and….

Official UK 6D with UK warranty etc. is £1229 from Jessops.

HDEW = £1200 (import, their own warranty, but UK shop)
    Digalrev = £1079 (import, but give their own warranty)
    SLRhut = £899 (import, leap of faith, PDF only manual, but HUGE saving)

70D is £599 in SLRhut and £750 for a UK sourced official one

I must admit I’m tempted by the SLRhut price, just would have to hope it didn’t go wrong!

Drac

must admit I’m tempted by the SLRhut price, just would have to hope it didn’t go wrong!

They do a 3 year warranty for £90

mudmuncher

They do a 3 year warranty for £90

I guess that is an option but not sure how good that would be and if you’d have to send it back to Hong Kong.

My other concern would be if some of the features were different between a UK spec and an Asian model.

kayak23

Impressed with digital rev. Bought a macro lens from them. Very quick delivery and all Bob on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I use One Stop Digital, I’ve had a few lenses and my Canon 650D from them. Always fast delivery, and when my camera went wrong they took it back and fixed it without complaint. That took about 6 weeks, but that’s the price for buying frm so far away I guess, so no complaints from me.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Used DigitalRev and camerainthepost both no probs

PePPeR

Talk to Ian Kerso,

http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/

As good a deals as Hong Kong without the risks.

Great offers with proper UK receipts to keep warranty problems at bay!

fisha
    Free Member

I’ve used DigitalRev before, and currently have an order sitting in Brum waiting customs checks before its sent out to my home.

Cant fault the process from them at all. D-Rev have been on a scene for quite a long time, and I remember them being active on photoforums many years ago.

d45yth
    Free Member

Ignore the above and get a 6D from Portus Digital. He’s selling them for £949 with an extra year’s warranty.

Most folk on my uni course, including myself, have bought from them with no problems.

grum
    Free Member

I’d avoid SLRHut personally. HDEW and OSD I’ve used with no issues though.

m1kea
    Free Member

Have brought from Digital Rev in the past without problem. Not used Ian K but he has a good rep.

We were in HK last year and I understand that a lot of the local shops can now only offer ‘local’ warranties. Not sure what DigRev’s position is on that these days

stumpy01

I bought a Tamron 90mm macro from OneStopDigital and the whole process was pain free. I think it arrived in 3 days!!

antigee

had a bad experience with simply electronics – reviews on face value ok but if you dig around a bit will find plenty of complaints that they don’t respond too well if sell a no stock / out of stock item – think it took me 6weeks to get a refund for a camera they couldn’t supply that website said in stock – refund appeared only after I copied them my complaint email to Visa

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mudmuncher, I have bought a few lower priced items from HK electronic stores but only when visiting in person. I personally wouldn’t buy mail order and not such an expensive item either. Whatever it says you will have no warranty. The biggest saving you are making is no VAT or import duty (ie by breaking the law), there is a decent chance the shipment gets intercepted by HMRC (I have had friends to whom this has happened). If you did want to do such a thing you are better off buying in person somewhere when on holiday.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought a camera from the cheapo Hong Kong electronics stores?’ is closed to new replies.