Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone bodged a dropper post?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Was servicing my KS seat post the other day and it’s very much like the up/down mechanism from an office chair with a clamp on top. Ok there’s no doubt a lot more to it, like the grooves to prevent side to side movement and all that sort of stuff, but someone on here must have bodged their own from some office spares?

Edit: Hilarious pictures from resulting accidents also welcome 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Used to have one of these in the early 90’s on my paper round bike. was “wicked”

phutphutend

Whilst racing the Mega I had some string and a jubilee clip that limited both extents of my seatpost height. Just likt the thingy above. Meant changing height wasn’t instant but I could jump off and set pedalling height or downhill height whilst running along!

mk1fan
    Free Member

On a Sussexmuddyarse ride the other week one guy had put an old fork spring down the seat tube.

Don’t think it worked too well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep, can’t quite figure that out, does it make the seat bouncy? Looks pretty cool.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

nope.

1. undo seatclamp
    2. put weight on seat
    3. when seat is low do up seat clamp
    4. reverse to go up but stand off the saddle

mrblobby
    Free Member

A lot more reliable than a reverb I bet 🙂

inigomontoya
    Free Member

So there’s a clamp missing from pic? I like that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So there’s a clamp missing from pic? I like that.

no, the clamp is integrated into the frame, the normalQR bolts been replaced with one with a hole drilled in it, the QR levers on the other side of the frame.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Oh ok, so that’s the tip of the qr that’s just visible. Still like it, clever and simple.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was expecting better bodging on here. Going to start the hunt for parts….

Deveron53
    Free Member

My mate made one in the late 1980s. Put a tailgate gas strut down his seat tube and spaced it with some sockets. It had no ‘twist’ control but apart from that and the weight, worked as well as a Hite Rite!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bodged a dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.