Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anybody cracked their Zesty?
  • gamo
    Free Member

and if so how was the warranty dealt with?
    Brother has found cracks around the BB shell on his 2010 314,
    he has phoned the shop where he bought it and they want to
    see it, they also said he will probably get a new front end
    so wondering if this is normal?
    He is pretty p-ssed off as this was a replacement after meta 5
    failures!

carbon337
    Free Member

There have been a few on bikeradar, bottom brackets and rear chainstay areas.

nickegg
    Free Member

Where exactly around the shell? From the edges inwards?

I have seen one photo of a single crack in BB. It looked to me as if it might have been caused by the BB bearings being pressed in on the piss, which might cause that.

Mine's fine and that's all that matters.

gamo
    Free Member

Yeah edge inwards! driveside.
    Looking at it i thought that perhaps bb cup hadn't been
    pushed in straight or just not enough material around the shell?
    Odd place to crack otherwise!

gamo
    Free Member

timmys

My '09 514 came from new (or it happened after 5 miles of road riding) with a bottom bracket shell crack. Seems to have happened to a handful, though that's actually the first 2010 bike I've heard of having a bottom bracket crack I think..

Lapierre's solution is to replace the front triangle. There are reports, that I'd take with a huge pinch of salt, that due to the popularity of Zesty's it can take a long while to get hold of the replacement.

Hope it doesn't put him of his Zesty as they are are bloody great bikes!

Macavity
    Free Member

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

"Relevant or Related Legislation:
    Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:
    • Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety."

mrelectric

So the LBS has responded helpfully, as you'd hope & expect. However does the Lapierre frame warranty apply to the original owner only?
    I may want a 2nd hand one but this is a big concern. This will effect any used value a lot for current owners too.

Wookster

HAd two bikes neither zesty's get new front ends on warrenty no hassels really.

timmys

mrelectric
    I may want a 2nd hand one but this is a big concern.

I think the warranty is for original owner only. My impression is that these bottom bracket shell cracks are due to a manufacturing defect rather than a design flaw and when they do happen they tend to happen very quickly, so if a bike is going to suffer from them it it will be obvious long before it is likely to be sold on.

rudedog
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy a second hand Lappierre bike

higgo
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy a second hand Lapierre bike

maybe of the price was right – could put a second hand Marzocchi 55 on it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anybody cracked their Zesty?’ is closed to new replies.