Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Any shorties on here and what size frame do you ride?
  • philsimm
    Free Member

I'm looking to build up a trail bike for Mrs P who is a shade under 5ft 3. I'm thinking 14"-15" frame? Her inseam is about 28" Has anybody done a similar thing and any frame recommendation?

Cheers

Phil

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Nop, but I'm 5'11" and ride a 14" frame with a 400mm fully extended seatpost. Inside leg is 31"

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I'm 5"4 and ride a 17" myka and a 16" inbred, both are a tad on the big side though, I think 14/15" would be good for someone who is 5"3 (although obviously this depends on lots of factors)

philsimm
    Free Member

Is that a 14" On One frame you riding then Dirty?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

i'd look at an extra small giant 13.5 inches or something I think. I am 5ft 4 but got 29-30" inside leg and ride a small giant and 16" cube.

matt_outandabout

mrs_oab is 5' rides a XS Cannondale F900SL – fits sooo much better than her old Orange CLockwork and older still Saracen something or other.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It's different for short women, they will still have proportionally longer legs than shortarses like me.
    5'2" with a 27" inside leg. I ride two Marin's at 15.5" & a small Boardman Comp road hybrid.
    TBH the Wolf Ridge is too tall but the rest of the geometry is spot on, same with the Mount Vision & the Boardman although the latter i can actually straddle without resting on my plums!

My G/F who's 5'4" rides a medium Myka FS & my tiny female friend who is 5'0" rides a 14" Kona HT.

RustySpanner

Five feet six here, ride a 15inch Rock Lobster, but it needs a layback post with the saddle right back & a 90mm stem to get a long enough stretch.

Loads of standover and I imagine it would fit someone much smaller.

Muddydwarf & I live quite close to each other, imagine we could organise some sort of test ride for your Mrs if you can get yourself up to the Rochdale area.

OK with you MD?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

missleelovesbikestoo is 5 foot and rides a 14" Inbred – with a 60/70mm stem and inline post it will be a perfect fit.

stumpy01

I'm 5'6" with 30" inside leg.

I ride a 16" Inbred with about a 70mm stem & inline seatpost. Feels like it could do with a teeny bit longer stem.
    And I've got a medium Stumpjumper which is bog standard and feels fine, although it would be interesting to try a small.

philsimm
    Free Member

Was thinking of a 14" Inbred frame yeah, they used to have a section on their website with real life riders and what size bikes they rode etc. Seems to have dissapeared. – second hand ones don't seem to crop up that often tho.

Rusty, thanks for the offer, mrs phil is off the bike at the moment though after coming off and breaking her finger at Llandegla last weekend on her crappy Halfords special hence the reason for new build.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I looked around for nice small frames and for the occasional use the Inbred gets (!) it's not bad. I bought it new discounted from On-One a few years ago and built it up with sale bits from around the web. A nice narrow diameter Fire Eye riser bar and small circumference grips finished it off nicely.

A crappy Halfrauds special won't give her confidence any boosts!

philsimm
    Free Member

Exactly Lee, bought it to see if she likes biking and she does so time for something a bit more up to the job. Dirty Jo Semi is another option but the website is down at the min.

stumpy01

My other half has a Spesh Myka and really likes it!

jahwomble
    Free Member

My Wife is 5 foot three and has a 30 inch inside leg, 14 inch frame staight post and a 70 mm stem and that feels about right for her apparently.

cinnamon_girl

I'm 5'5" but with long legs. Only blokes bikes for me and here's my 14" Inbred ss with silly long seatpost. Other bikes are 16" frames.

Don't forget that the Inbred has a very long top tube. Also used to have a 15" Rock Lobster but that does have a short top tube. Actually that could fit nicely for your OH.

RustySpanner

CG, how do you find the 14" Inbred compares to the Lobster, standover, stretch etc?

Did you try a 16" Inbred as well?

cinnamon_girl

Here's the Rock Lobster:

cinnamon_girl

Rusty – Lobster was really too short in the top tube for me but it was a lovely bike. 14" Inbred is fine for singlespeeding, don't think it would be comfy with gears though!

Used to have a 16" 456 which was far too long in the top tube so that had to go.

cragrat73
    Free Member

The wifelet is 5' 3" has 13" trek hybrid which she likes.

RustySpanner

EDIT, Thanks CG, you've answered my question!

Find the Lobster just long enough with the seat right back, 90mm stem and a layback Thomson, but standover is spot on.

May have to try and blag a ride on a 14" 456.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

5'3" which IMPO is average height 😉 ride 14" inbred and 15" rocklobster both feel great.

cinnamon_girl

Lobster had a layback seatpost.

Rusty – were you thinking of changing then?

philsimm
    Free Member

Right – time to put a wanted ad in the classifieds then I think.

Thanks all for your help
    🙂

cinnamon_girl

I am currently not selling any bikes … but I do tend to change them now and again. 🙄

FWIW my latest is a 16" Soul and that's a pretty good fit.

aleigh
    Free Member

i'm 5ft 3 and have a 14" wsd frame – most of lads think it looks like a kids bike!

the top tubey thing is what's important for me, anything too long hurts my back.

RustySpanner

Yeah, I love the Lobster, it's a fine bike, does everything I ask, but 456 frames are so cheap it seems daft not to give one a try!

I've got a 17" steel Rockhopper as well, which was my main MTB for years, now used as a tourer and is the perfect size for that job.
    Just too big for serious off road use, but I only realised this after getting sized up for the Lobster at Merlin.

RustySpanner

Just remembered, I tried a small Cotic Soul as well, before buying the Lobster and that fitted very well.

Beautiful ride & handling too, but I couldn't afford one at the time.

Partner's daughter rides a 15" alloy Rockhopper, which is also a nice fit, very similar to the Lobster.

I'd seriously consider 170mm cranks too, I find they make a big difference to me.

cinnamon_girl

I reckon the Lobster is lighter than the 456. Paint work is so much better too. The red is a lovely shade. If you're happy with the Lobster, why change?

Paintwork on my Inbred started to look a mess after only a couple of rides, I'm hardly hardcore. 🙄

Edit: steel is more comfy than alloy. You do sometimes see Cotics come up for sale on the Classifieds. Just posted a pic of mine on the latest Cotic thread.

mamadirt
    Free Member

It's different for short women, they will still have proportionally longer legs than shortarses like me.

Well, most of them do 😕 . Don't think I've ever owned a bike with standover clearance . . . hence the comical nose-up seat position on my bikes for hasty bail outs off the back 😡

My 14" Inbred suits me perfectly (despite the fact that I'm hating singlespeeding with a passion at the mo'), as do 14" Konas. 5'2" btw but with short legs and long arms 🙄

RustySpanner

Why change?
    I've always wanted to try a 456, just to see what all the fuss is about!

Really fancied a Cotic, but the Lobster was very reasonable, about £600 less than a Soul would have cost fully built.

Ms Spanner bought an alloy Lobster when we visited Merlin to order mine.
    It was ex display and set up perfectly for her with female specific saddle and grips etc. It's ace, soooo light.

toys19
    Free Member

I had a 456 14inch frame smallest one, it was fine int he leg department but way too long. (I'm 5ft6 with 27.5 inch inseam) I now have an XS Cotic BFe. Much better. I also ride a small bullit. Very good.

antigee

aleigh – Member
    i'm 5ft 3 and have a 14" wsd frame – most of lads think it looks like a kids bike!

the top tubey thing is what's important for me, anything too long hurts my back

tick for mrs antigee exactly same hieght and before getting a trek wsd hated riding cos of back ache

malibu_babe_28
    Free Member

I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam. I've got a 17" Myka which I'm in the process of replacing with a 16" Soul, which is on the larger end of the range that fits me. Cinnamon_girl – what length stem do you have on your Soul? I was thinking 60-70 mm. I also thought about the RL 853 (as you say, it looks great, and the sizing is a little smaller), but went for the Soul as I just loved the Orange with wrap decals.

Vortexracing

5ft 4" here with a 27.5" inside leg and ride a small Cotic Soul and BFe plus a 15" Ventana X5

mamadirt
    Free Member

philsimm – Member

Was thinking of a 14" Inbred frame yeah, they used to have a section on their website with real life riders and what size bikes they rode etc. Seems to have dissapeared.

Found it . . . here.

Must get on with making the tea instead of continuing my never-ending search for perfect tiny bicyclery 🙄

stevede
    Free Member

I have an orange sub 5 frame soon to be for sale which would make a great girly trail bike – i now have a more suitably sized five (18"). Has an 08 swinger shock in good working order, few paint chips etc but overall good condition for its age. It's either a 14" or 16" and way too small for me even with layback post and longish stem. If you (or anyone else) are interested i'll take any measurements required.
    Email in profile. Based in cornwall but in bristol as of tomorrow for the week if any easier.

philsimm
    Free Member

Mama – your a star.

Steve – ygm

Thanks 😀

Phil

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi
    I'm 5' 3" with 28" inside leg. My road bike is an XS giant (44cm) with feels a great fit and I have a Turner 5 spot in small which I love and feel really comfortable on. I don't know whether this is because I was used to a 16inch hardtail…

stevede
    Free Member

Phil – YGM back ref sub 5

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Any shorties on here and what size frame do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.