Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any foxy owners running 160mm forks?
  • gt56
    Free Member

Well? Thoughts please, Fabien B does so why shouldnt I?!

butterbean
    Free Member

The Foxy XR comes with 160mm Float 34’s as standard in the builds.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dune

nickhead
    Free Member

As mentioned – Barel rode the XR for the last 18 months which comes with geometry designed for 160mm forks.

I had my Foxy RR set up with Fox 36s, partly because that was what I had, and because I’m what some might describe as a moderately ‘burly’ rider. I really loved it on the descents, but with the greater than standard axle-crown height and slacker headangle; it was a bit wandery on the flats/climbs so I made great use of the Talas height adjustment. Never quite found the sweet spot you’d get with the standard forks though.

When my RR frame cracked (and replaced under warranty), I test rode an XR and found, as I hoped – that the geometry and ride was pretty much what I had hoped to achieve with my RR, but done properly and with the intelligent component choice was amazingly confidence inspiring. So I bought an XR frame and built it up… with newer 36s – and I’m loving it 🙂

kayak23

A mate uses 160mm Bos forks on his Foxy nae bother..

Northwind

Mate of mine replaced his Five with a Foxy + 36s, he can’t describe it without saying things like “amazing” and “faster than my Session most of the time” and “the Five was awful compared to this”. I think he also went up a size for length.

jpacey
    Free Member

Interesting to hear all your reports.
    Im running a 160mm 36 float spaced down to 140mm on a foxy R.
    Going to exeperiment with 150mm/160mm of travel over the summer to see which i prefer.
    id be interested in giving an XR a ride but why are the stems always postioned so high?

nickhead
    Free Member

The stem is high on my Foxy because a) I’m 6’3″, and b) I hadn’t had it cut down yet 🙂

Losing about 15mm/3 stackers from the steerer height. Because of the nature of the stem on the XR, bars directly over the steerer – it’s a definite measure twice cut once exercise!

They also look higher because of the lack of any ‘stem’ – compare the relative height of the bars with the photo of the RR – not that much difference

jpacey
    Free Member

Fair enough, just noticed yours and Fabiien barel’s both seemed to have a lot of spacers under the stem an wondered if there was a technical reason for it.

It’s interesting to see that mondraker have gone with the 160/140 travel on the foxy xr and FB rode it as his enduro bike of choice rather than a 160/160 dune (before **** off to canyon)

nickhead
    Free Member

All of the Forward Geometry bikes have the mixed travel – Factor 120/140, Dune 160/180 and Foxy 140/160

It’s partly down to there being more weight over the front when descending, I think.

gt56
    Free Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Im going to go 160, but having some issues with the headset. I want a tapered steerer, but the current headset is a 11/8 – 1.5 reducer crown race jobbie to fit straight forks. Any ideas? Ive asked and the answer seems to be as simple as a new crown race. Will any 45 degree bearing crown race fit?

thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any foxy owners running 160mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.