Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Antivirus software
  • singletracksurfer

Had/got various free ones but think I need to buy a proper full versiib version (as the pc is still slow and spammy).

Any good recommendations or deals going down?

Thanks.

Cougar

Windows 8 = Windows Defender

Windows 7 = Microsoft Security Essentials

Windows XP = Bigger problems than an antivirus will fix

scotroutes

The free Microsoft one (MSE or Defender) and an occasional Malwarebytes scan.

Cougar

(as the pc is still slow and spammy).

If you’ve already got an infection then installing AV probably won’t help. Start here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ (ignore the Pro trial offer).

z1ppy

Wot he says, most pc issues I see are maleware related, run Malewarebytes & then ADwcleaner

samuri
    Free Member

If you think you’ve got crap on there now then I’d recommend rebuilding it first if you can. If you can’t then malwarebytes scans followed by Microsoft’s appropriate product.

What OS do you have? The point made above is an important one. If you have XP then there’s no more security patches being released.

I’d say patching and sensible online habits will give you far more security than an anti-virus product.
    If you really want to keep your computer secure, use a sandboxed browser like Sandboxie, keep your computer fully patched at all times and delete any email you weren’t expecting.

Number one (by an absolute mile) attack vector nowadays is phishing emails.

Cougar

Number one (by an absolute mile) attack vector nowadays is phishing emails.

Source?

AFAIK, the biggest attack vectors are old versions of Java and browser exploits. That and side-loading adware into other programs.

loum
    Free Member

Windows XP = Bigger problems than an antivirus will fix

Any advice on Vista please?

samuri
    Free Member

Try and find a security community that doesn’t think phishing is the initial contact.

Yes, the exploit will target unpatched/legacy software but the vector to entice a user to the site will invariably be a phishing email. It’s much harder to implement cross site scripting on a site you don’t own.

samuri
    Free Member

Burn it, burn it with fire.

samuri
    Free Member

We’ve not had a single infection over the last 12 months for an estate of 7000 desktop devices that hasn’t been traced to a phishing email if that makes sense. i..e, every infection we’ve had in the last 12 months, was the result of someone clicking on a malicious link in an email.

Now that could be because our proxy policy is doing its job but as you know, it’s a constant race.

Cougar

As per W7.

Sorry, I always forget about Vista.

Now that could be because our proxy policy is doing its job but as you know, it’s a constant race.

Ah, yeah, the corporate world is a bit different. You’ve got (or at least, should have!) complete control over your estate so you can push out security patches and configure firewalls etc more restrictively than your average home user.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not doubting you at all – you’re a computer guy and I’m not – but just so I’m sure, all I need for my household’s Windows 7 and 8 computers is what’s already on them?

scotroutes

Yes. With an occasional Malwarebytes scan thrown in

loum
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar
    🙂

Cougar

just so I’m sure, all I need for my household’s Windows 7 and 8 computers is what’s already on them?

W7 doesn’t come with MSE, it’s a separate download. But, yes.

And that’s a good question. There’s all manner of “total Internet security” type packages out there, some for a not inconsiderable amount of money. There are situations where something like this may be appropriate – I’m thinking hostile environments – but you’ve got to be a little sceptical when the people telling you to get this stuff are the people selling it. See the recent PC World thread.

The single most effective way of mitigating threats is to address the single biggest cause, and that’s the wetware sitting behind the keyboard. Not opening attachments in unsolicited emails, keeping software up to date, not clicking stupid shit on websites, not downloading executable files from .torrent sites, and reading software installers when they ask “do you want to install 37 useless toolbars from our partner?” will all go farther towards protecting your PC than any overpriced software.

What else do you need? Firewall? You probably already have two in place, one built into the OS and a hardware firewall in your router. There’s also various applications which go “are you sure?” when you click stuff, but nine times out of ten they just get annoying and people just blindly click “yes” out of habit. How would you reply to a prompt of “Application ‘commctl32.dll’ wants access to the Internet, allow? [Yes] [No]”?

MSE / Defender are both decent AV solutions which, unlike many others, don’t put your PC on its knees in the interests of winning comparison tests in magazines.

singletracksurfer

wow, wonder off and come back to loads of replies, thanks.

On Windows 7 so will try MSE and do Malware scan. Have usual firewall stuff to avoid any dodgy sites too, so hopefully (all) this’ll work out.

How would you reply to a prompt of “Application ‘commctl32.dll’ wants access to the Internet, allow? [Yes] [No]”? Erm, ‘No’ (I’d hope).

This of thing isn’t really necessary then? http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/gg-download-buyer-54/53398668

Thanks very much.

Cougar

The other thing I’d recommend, incidentally, is Spyware Blaster.

It’s passive software so plays well with others. Basically creates a blacklist of known hostile websites. The ‘manual update’ version is free.

Xylene
    Free Member

Bull guard – used it for years, it has worked for me, and I can get the liceneses from ebay for 3 years for around a tenner.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers

samuri
    Free Member

Ah, yeah, the corporate world is a bit different. You’ve got (or at least, should have!) complete control over your estate so you can push out security patches and configure firewalls etc more restrictively than your average home user.

Nevertheless, the contact is phishing emails for home and office users.

If I could only educate home users about two things it’d be patching and phishing emails and I’d protect the vast majority of them.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Avast and Avira are also pretty good IMHO.

Cougar

Erm, ‘No’ (I’d hope).

… is the right answer, in this case. The filename was one I’d just made up to look like a legitimate Windows .DLL (the real version is spelt with one ‘m’).

Point is, to most people it’s a nonsensical question. What if you answered ‘no’ and inadvertently blocked access to some valid component or other, then couldn’t understand why an application suddenly stopped working?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Antivirus software’ is closed to new replies.