Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Ambergate- pics and tell me about it?
  • hora
    Free Member

Well?

the-muffin-man

Its a local place for local people – we'll have none of your sort around here!!

iain1775
    Free Member

there is no such place
    It doesnt exist

Pook

Yeah nothing much round there. The high peak trail up the hill and back down again. A train, a lock, a coffee shop.

hora
    Free Member

Not for me. A friend in NY called Mr Gates who has a daughter called Amber and wanted to know about a place in yee old England that would interest him.. 🙄

iain1775
    Free Member

hurt arms is a nice pub
    does a good sunday lunch
    least it would be if the place existed
    but I made it up

hora
    Free Member

Is it worth a hypothetical drive past Edale, Ladybower etc from Manc?

Pook

Not if you're coming to disrupt my party it's not.

Anyway, you can't get there cos it's not on Sat nav, google maps, OS or anything.

It's like Brigadoon.

the-muffin-man

hurt arms is a nice pub
    does a good sunday lunch
    least it would be if the place existed
    but I made it up

You certainly made up the bit about the Hurt Arms doing nice meals!!!!

Nope – flat as a pancake mate – we've only got towpaths and old railway tracks around here.

iain1775
    Free Member

muffin, admitedly it is about 5 years since I last ate there, but I seem to recall there being plenty of stuff on my plate!

the-muffin-man

It wasn't too bad 5 years ago – its been through a few managers since then though, and currently seems to have a 12 year old in charge! Well he looks about 12!

It is nice on a summers night to have a beer and watch the cricket and see the hot air balloons go up.

Anyway back to the OP – photographic evidence…
    canal – towpath – railway – thats all there is!…

StuF

and those are just VERY tall trees in the background…

goot
    Free Member

Ambergate….

Remember it well….. caught a bar end in the Nads and split my 'sac' open……..balls hung out like them posh tea bags !!

Pook

winters ride in ambergate….

StuF

that must have been a lot of snow to hide those trees

the-muffin-man

and those are just VERY tall trees in the background…

Thats billowing smoke from the ritual burning of incomers.

hora
    Free Member

[runs out of thread and slams door petulantly]

theboatman
    Free Member

Hora – before you flounce to far, did you get those brakes?

This should help you find the woods;

hora
    Free Member

Hi Steve, yes (thank you) payment should be with you tomorrow am (it was sat in the post room prev.

Question. The bolt through hole in the rear is too narrow. Im guessing it suits vintage brakes only!

theboatman
    Free Member

Nice one, I've responded to your query in your other thread. Ambergate is really not worth driving through the Peak to get to, although it is a grea place to have on your doorstep. If you do ever venture this far down I'll happily have a ride out with you and show you around.

h4muf
    Free Member

As it's only 10 mins away,it's my gateway to the peaks.

hora
    Free Member

theboatman ta. Lee, jammy bastard! 10mins from my house you can but copious amounts of crack or 42inch Plasma's.

the-muffin-man

Sorry Hora – I was in a stupid mood yesterday!

Anyway – Ambergate – the best riding is of the cheeky variety and you to get the best from a day trip it would be ideal to have someone local to ride with. If you don't mind exploring on your own then the main areas are…

• Shining Cliff Woods, Crich Chase and Black Rocks – all are sensitive areas to ride in though so are best avoided at weekends if possible.

You can easily link all three up to make a decent ride by using the canal as a quick route between them.

I'd like to offer my services, but I'm lucky if I get out once a fortnight at the minute so I'm not very fit!!

There are also some nice trails in the woods near Lea Bridge, here…
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=431305&y=356550&z=120&sv=431305,356550&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=767&ax=431305&ay=356550&lm=0

thepodge
    Free Member

If it existed, which it doesn't, then it would be one of my all time fave rides

cuckoo
    Free Member

A hypothetical drive to a hypothetical place 🙂

If this place existed it would be quite a long journey from Manc. You would be passing a hell of a lot of excellent legal riding to get to an area where the best riding is cheeky and in sensitive areas that could be tricky to link without a guide / knowledge.

If a knowledgeable local offered to route guide it might be worth the hypothetical effort when the trails are dry and ideally outside peak hours.

Without the guide it could be canal…

& old train lines

I imagine if this hypothetical place did actually exist and it contained woodland, at this time of year they could look something like this

The-muffin-man is right though, the incomers burn well in these parts 😈

hora
    Free Member

Grrr (shakes fist at screen and shouts at the sky)…..yaaa bugga's!

(I've had no sleep last night).

the-muffin-man

Some imaginary trails, in an imaginary place, on an imaginary sunny day in May…

😀

justa
    Free Member

yo Tim – time we went out again and you showed me some more of those trails !

I went out with DVATC the other night – hoping you would be there 🙁

the-muffin-man

Hi Justa

I've not been out with the Derwent group for over a year now – my work combined with the wifes work means tuesday nights are difficult for me now. So if I do go out it tends to be later on.

Give me a few weeks to get some sort of fitness and we'll sort a ride out!

…just off to that imaginary pub now, to have an imaginary pint of Amstel and watch an imaginary game of cricket!!

hora
    Free Member

Those last two pics look like Wharncliffe!!

iain1775
    Free Member

Those last two pics look like Wharncliffe!!

Nah definately around the Ambergate area
    Thats just how I always picture the fictional place in my mind, Shining Cliff, The Chevin, Drum Hill all part of a nice loop from my doorstep in the centre of Derby, God I can daydream sometimes 😉

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I imagined somewhere similar to t-m-m's pictures during winter… I even imagined my biked being there but the imaginary trails are hidden by the simulacral snow…

MoreCashThanDash

I reckon West Hallam is close enough for me not to be used as a Wicker Man if I were to stop off at this hypothetical place…..

the-muffin-man

…you should be OK – you Notts inhabitants are even odder than us!!! 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Notts? – Notts you say? Go and look at a map and then come back and apologise.

How very dare you!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Ambergate- pics and tell me about it?’ is closed to new replies.