Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Am I about to make a wise 'investment'…
  • psychle
    Free Member

or not?

Following on from the 'bling ming or retro heaven' thread of this morning… I've been in touch with the seller and have arranged to meet up tomorrow to inspect the Ibis Bow Ti, all being well (and it fitting me!) I'm fairly sure I'll buy it… and the price? well, it's going to be in the region of £2000 or thereabouts…

which is, of course, a lot of cash; but my thought is that this is one of only 256 made in the world, it's in very good condition (if it's been described correctly) and it's something I've always wanted (which is probably the most important thing!)…

I'm 'justifying' it to my long-suffering and amazingly understanding wife as a proper investment… I can't really see the frame going down in value (unless I damage it!), and I'd actually expect it to go up given it's rarity, is this a fair assumption?

What does the STW massive think? Am I crazy?? 😯

singlespeedstu

If you like it and can afford it buy it. 8)

I wouldn't buy it as an investment though. It's a bike not an investment.

tails
    Free Member

Glad its your money not mine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can't think of many mtbs that will go up in cost.

psychle
    Free Member

can't think of many mtbs that will go up in cost.

meaning you think this one will, or that I'm dreaming?

luked2
    Free Member

I think making yourself happy by getting loads of neat stuff has been tried a long time ago, some guy by the name of David

psychle
    Free Member

It's a bike not an investment.

true enough 🙂 but I am kind of thinking that at worst, if all my life fell to pieces and I had to sell, that I'd break even or even better work out in front…

epicsteve
    Free Member

As an investment – definitely not. Even if it does go up in value is it going to be by a significant amount, or just enought to brag about? If you can afford to throw £2K at it just on the off chance then I'd say you've got a enought cash anyway that any increase is unlikely to be financially relevant to you.

On the other hand – if you want it and can afford it them why not?

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder 'cause I think it's pig ugly.

druidh
    Free Member

what epicsteve said.

I can't see it going up in value. You'll have a very small market of interested buyers.

You're going to own it and NOT ride it?

Oh – and it's ugly as sin.

thomthumb
    Free Member

meaning you think this one will, or that I'm dreaming?

unfortunately that your dreaming. imo

psychle
    Free Member

I think making yourself happy by getting loads of neat stuff has been tried a long time ago, some guy by the name of David…

Thanks for the philosophical/religious quote, interesting 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

The only chance of it going up in value is if you bdon't ride it and find someone who really wants one. You seem to want to ride it, in which case it'll lose value.

If you want it, buy it, but it's not going to be a particularly good investment IMO!

psychle
    Free Member

As an example, I know the last frame I saw for sale in the US went for USD$3600…

shakeythejakey
    Free Member

haha nice bible quote luked2 🙂

angryratio
    Free Member

You could always spend 2g on something modern where everything works and it does it without flinching and spares are easy to come by..
    and its not just a garage queen/wall art.

Don't get me wrong 2 grand means more to some people than others. 2 grand would be useful to me at the moment.

epicsteve
    Free Member

As an example, I know the last frame I saw for sale in the US went for USD$3600…

Which backs up what I said – the difference is unlikely to be financially relevant to you (other than for bragging etc).

psychle
    Free Member

that's frame only though… this is a complete bike (with a lot of very bling retro gear…)

psychle
    Free Member

in the current investment climate, I'd be happy with a 10-20% return, which I wouldn't expect to be unreasonable?

njee20
    Free Member

It depends entirely on finding 'the right person' who appreciates its value. Yes, you may do alright, but you may not, or it may take a very long time!

druidh
    Free Member

You've started a thread and been disappointed with the answers, so now you're determined to justify it. To us, or to yourself?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You are about to spend 2k on old tat. You are mental. Good luck to you!

epicsteve
    Free Member

in the current investment climate, I'd be happy with a 10-20% return, which I wouldn't expect to be unreasonable?

Unless you've a buyer lined up immediately then it's pointless. Given recent threads indicate you're not short of cash I doubt a possible £200-400 is something you'd really notice. If you see it as a bit of fun then fine – but totally pointless as an investment.

psychle
    Free Member

You've started a thread and been disappointed with the answers, so now you're determined to justify it. To us, or to yourself?

not disappointed with the answers at all 🙂 I don't need justifying, just thought I'd canvas the opinions of STW is all.

In the end, I'm buying this because I like it and I want it, not as an investment (though don't tell the wife that!) However, I do feel reasonably confident that if I keep it in similar condition then I should be able to see at least a small return on the 'investment'… time will tell I guess 🙂

steveh

You may also have slightly dented your ability to haggle with the seller given that you've pretty much said you're going to buy it!

luked2
    Free Member

EDIT: removed exclamations of disbelief at that bike…

If it makes you enjoy your riding more then why not if you can afford it?

epicsteve
    Free Member

In the end, I'm buying this because I like it and I want it, not as an investment purchase.

Which is perfectly reasonable, even if it also makes this thread pointless other than as a "look at me, I'm enormous" sort of thing.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Where are you going to hide the pig ugly thing while it's busy going up in value? 😆

psychle
    Free Member

Which is perfectly reasonable, even if it also makes this thread pointless other than "look at me, I enormous" sort of thing.

yep, it's a bit '****' of me, sorry… I'm a little excited is all 😳

You may also have slightly dented your ability to haggle with the seller given that you've pretty much said you're going to buy it!

Don't think there's much room for haggling to be honest, but I will be pointing out that buying outside of the Evilbay will save around 10% in fees, hopefully this can be taken into consideration!

Slogo
    Free Member

investment…. pftt its a bike, just enjoy riding it!

just seen a pic of it! what a piece! looks gash! has your wife seen it?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

i think your dead right to go for it.in its present state made up with nos parts and unridden its as close to a museum piece i suspect youll ever find.as with most early full suss mtb i think you may find the ride might not be up to its modern day equivalent.but then again,they make modern bikes in runs of more than 260.
    if you manage to buy it for £2000 which i think is a fair price for a bike of this condition,the second you take it for a ride its value will tumble in terms of museum piece priceing.i own a 1980 se racing loop-tail Quad-angle (the steel one) and out of a run of only 150 made there is less than half that left in the world,i saved like mad as a child to buy this frame,rode it like a nutter throughout my childhood went to uni and left it in my parents loft where it lay for about 5yrs,lent it to a neighbours son for a year as he didn't have a bmx (bare in mind at this time i was still un aware how much it was worth).now 29yrs later its been striped re-sprayed re badged and re built using as many of its original components as possible,and in terms of value it is worth a small fortune,in its present state the bow ti has the same potential. and in another ten yrs could go the same way as my bmx purely based on the fact that in ten more yrs some of the 260 made will brake or just get trashed.if you buy it and use it as a bike i think you may find some of the bikes components arnt quite up to scratch,and youll end up changeing them out for more modern day ones.my advice would be to buy the bike if its as good as the seller says it is.remove every single component that will cost more to refurb than replace.cover it in heli tape and ride it,if its not your cup of tea re-build it with all its nos parts,mothball it for ten yrs and flog it.for a profit,if the frame alone isnt worth £2000 in ten yrs ill be very surprised.

psychle
    Free Member

with a name like merchant-banker, how could your advice be wrong 🙂

It's pretty much what I'm thinking as well, strip it down, mothball the retro bits, and rebuild with some modern more parts for enjoyment. I don't honestly expect to ever sell it, but who knows what the future holds eh?

cheers 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

its not an investment and if you are buying it on that basis you are deluded

atlaz
    Free Member

Investments rely on you finding someone who wants to buy it for more than you paid. Given how ugly that bike is, I'd struggle to imagine there were 260 people EVER who wanted one, let alone want one now.

Your money and if you're buying it because you want it, good on you; it better have a "nice personality"

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

i beg to differ• investment-a thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future.the key is in the interpretation of investment.if i can buy something for £2000 not use it and in 5yrs sell it for maybe £5000 then to me that was a investment ok its based on an assumption its value goes up but in the case in question i think its a reasonable and quite safe investment.also bare in mind we are in the uk and maybe our friendly american neighbours would pay a fortune for this bike. but the seller for some reason is not offering world postage.but thats his choice, i no of two friends in america who could get rid of this bike in a jiffy and for quite a good profit.therefore in my eyes it has the potential to be an investment all be it a small one.

Turnoisier
    Free Member

I may be the only one, but I'm now desperate to know more about what a steel '1980 se racing loop-tail Quad-angle' is, and what it looks like.

Any chance of some pics….?

psychle
    Free Member

I'm curious as well, sounds kind of cool 🙂 It's a BMX right?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

'1980 se racing loop-tail Quad-angle'

Pass the Kleenex, would you?

You should see how much original Cook Bros BMX stuff goes for though….crazy.

psychle
    Free Member

is that similar to the BMX frame that went for something like USD$25,000 on Ebay a while ago??

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think this is a bit tragic TBH.

Do any of you guys still have your boxed Han Solos too??

FFS.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

psychle, I think that was a Cooks that went for that.

Now, if only I could find that one off Troy Lee painted Intense M1…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Am I about to make a wise 'investment'…’ is closed to new replies.