Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • All this 29er shizzle tell me why……
  • oldfart

The MTB media rave about them but you rarely see one out on the trail ?Is it kinda like an Emperors New Clothes type situation ? 😀

druidh
    Free Member

They are out there, I reckon you’re just not really noticing them.

andyl
    Free Member

it’s not like they have square wheels or “warning, wheels may explode without warning” notices on them. Maybe you are just not noticing them as generally they are preferred by taller riders so still look in proportion.

I’m sure I will stick out like a sore thumb on mine (it’s a little 16″ one)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

U should ride around here, ten a penny they are

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Hardly “Emperors New Clothes” most of us have been riding them for years.
    I started getting rid on my 26er’s for 29er’s back in 2007

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Bike of choice for those in the know high up in the NW Alps, although there are a few still on training wheels…

convert

I’ve ridden with plenty of folk who only found out I was on a 29er at the end of the ride in casual conversation and had not noticed for the hours of following my back wheel.

Also, we are talking about new bikes – what percentage of bikes you see out on the trails are new 2011/12 models? 5-10% max in this current economic climate maybe? And if 30% (it won’t be that much) of all new bike sales were 29ers that would mean 3 out of every 100 bikes you see out of the trails would be new 29ers – that’s even if you noticed them.

takisawa2

Just a fad. Like WiFi. My all knowing mate at work spent a fortune running ethernet cables all over his house, as he honestly believed WiFi was a fad. So no. Big wheels are just a fad. They will die out. Like disc brakes & suspension. Put your money into filing cabinets. PC’s are dying out. Buy up filing cabinets now. And ring binders.

3 in 100 isn’t 30% ?

scaredypants

where can I get these filing cabinets – Halifax ?

(10% of 30% is what convert was getting at)

convert

3 in 100 isn’t 30% ?

You is rubbish at maths!

reread – 30%(best case estimate of mtb sales being 29er) of 10% (best case senario of bikes you see whilst riding being spanking new – this might be higher in Surrey!) is 3% or if you like, 3 in 100.

grievoustim
    Free Member

My all knowing mate at work spent a fortune running ethernet cables all over his house, as he honestly believed WiFi was a fad

😀

superb

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Bike doesn’t carry enough speed across the ground? Learn to pedal harder and mtfu.

Bike doesn’t roll over rough terrain easily enough? Seriously, learn to ride and mtfu.

Bike doesn’t feel right cos you’re too tall? Never heard Peaty, Cam Cole or Ben Cathro complaining. Mtfu.

If you want a hybrid with chunky tyres for bridleways, well fair enough I suppose 🙂

convert

Bike doesn’t carry enough speed across the ground? Learn to pedal harder and mtfu.

Bike doesn’t roll over rough terrain easily enough? Seriously, learn to ride and mtfu.

Bike doesn’t feel right cos you’re too tall? Never heard Peaty, Cam Cole or Ben Cathro complaining. Mtfu.

I’ve got a foot in both camps and even to me that’s some lame trolling!
    If there had been some significant R&D at the time that concluded 26″ was the definative best size to base all future mtb design around you might have a point but it was an accident. On the other hand the 29er alternative is just ripped off from road bikes so equally unobjective. If I’m honest I’m really not sure the wheel size is the first thing I notice when I ride an mtb – bar width, saddle the bar drop, tyre type and pressure all have more effect to me.

maccruiskeen

The MTB media rave about them but you rarely see one out on the trail

I reckon the writers (and readers) of MTB magazines are the minority of cyclists you’ll meet. Popular amongst the kind of people who read about bikes all day and popular amongst people who have one bike in the shed and ride it a weekends are very different things

fairhurst
    Free Member

I jolly well hope to be purchasing one of these very soon 🙂 and my other half is now tempted too.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve seen 29ers every time I’ve ridden for the last 5 years.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have the 2012 spesh cataloge beside me from their thing yesterday at ourn local concept store (highlight: JMC’s bike and food!)

As far as I can see where there is a spesh bike available in the same spec in both 26″ and 29″, the 29er is £1-200 more expensive.

Bearing in mind a 21″ frame is not usually any more costly than a 15″ one even if it has a bit more material in it, and bear in mind that I am talking about the exact same spec apart from the rims on a couple of bikes, presumably not available in 29″, I can’t understand how the extra materials involved in longer tubes, fork legs, rims, tyres, tubes, spokes add 10% to the shop floor price, given that the non-marterial costs for building, transporting, storage and sale are largely of not entirely the same. 😕

If it was me, and my assumptions about the cost of producing a 29er are anywhere near the mark, I would be pricing them the same as same-spec 26ers for a few more years to get people ‘converted’.

When it was all steel inbreds and alloy scandals, on-one seemed to manage to do this without the buying power of the big S. There is still no difference in price between the exact same on-one frame where it is available in 2 sizes.

manitou
    Free Member

Well im going retro… getting a 26er in the next couple of weeks

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

As far as I can see where there is a spesh bike available in the same spec in both 26″ and 29″, the 29er is £1-200 more expensive.

Which one?

HermanShake
    Free Member

I really like having a 29″ front wheel on the rigid (soixante neuf=les boef!) Not sure I’d want a fully 29er rigid unless it was quite light, I need as much acceleration as I can get in the slop. Big wheels lend themselves well to the jhey-mince end of riding and 26″ (or normal wheels) are obviously great for gnar-core. My fs is 26″ and I’m very happy with it as such, the rigid is more of a training tool with a bigger wheel to negate the lack of suspension.

Try one out, I think the benefits are specific unlike the BikeRadar suggestion that 29ers are better in all senses. There are so many other variables which affect the ride that often comparisons are hard to make.

What kind of riding are you into and what conditions are you faced with?

I think the Emperor is busy riding his fatbike 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member

Which one?

Camber 29 £1900
    Camber Elite (26″) £1800 (this one actually looks like it has more expensive rims than the otherwise same spec 29er

Carve comp 29 £1000
    Rockhopper expert (26″) £800 (29er frame is ‘manipulated’ rather than butted, but not £200 nicer ‘manipulated’, otherwise same spec)

At least the prices for what seem to be the same spec women and men’s versions are the same though. The women’s fate carbon 29er hardtail looks pretty nice, mrs j is borrowing one this weekend apparently. Unlike the 2 older women’s spesh’s she’s had, this one doesn’t even look that ‘girly’ either: hopefully she will let me have a quick go too.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yeah don’t get that, i’m spec will have a reason

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

It’s just a bike

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The MTB media rave about them but you rarely see one out on the trail

I’m the only rider in our clique that doesn’t own a 29er HT/rigid. 26″ wheeled FS bikes seem suddenly to have become an oddity.

slackalice
    Free Member

+ 1 ti_pin_man

If the industry marketeers could think up a reason for square wheels being better at every conceivable size from 12″ to 36″ just to extract more of your hard earned £’s…. they would.

For me, it boils down to aesthetics… 26″ wheels look in proportion and ‘right’, whereas 29″ wheels give the MTB frame a kinda gangly look – a bit like a puppy whose legs are growing quicker than it’s body. Although generally, the puppy will grow into some sorta proportion…. and they have cute waggy tails.

I am extremely bored of the mainstream UK biking press/journos trying to crawl up the industry backsides though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You don’t see them round here in the Peak. Mind, even when I was riding at Glentress 3 times a week I never saw one.

I’ve seen maybe 3 in the wild, a few more at races, but mostly under guys who’re given bikes.

Working in shops for the last 5 years I’ve personally dealt with maybe 4 customers who were interested in 29ers and only 1 who I suggested a 29er to.

They’re popular on the internet and in the mags, but your average MTBer that doesn’t spend half their working day on STW isn’t interested in them. They like mid range 5″ full suspension bikes with 26″ wheels.

tazzymtb

You don’t see them round here in the Peak

you do where we ride in the peak, lots of ’em

we’re just usually out very early of very late, so trails of cheekyness can be employed

shaggie
    Free Member

Think about it most upgrades can be added to a bike but changing to 29 means a new frame, forks, wheels, tyres – the bike industry must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Clobber
    Free Member

29er just feels right to me at 6′ 2″

the_lecht_rocks

29″ works perfectly for me in NE Scotland / Highlands.

i’m 6′ though….

short stem, 750mm bars. perfect.

kayak23

27.5 ers are where its at..

MrSmith
    Free Member

it will be heavier and owned by a mtb bore too.

ahwiles
    Free Member

For me, it boils down to aesthetics… 26″ wheels look in proportion and ‘right’, whereas 29″ wheels give the MTB frame a kinda gangly look

shortarse.

this is the last 26er i will ever buy:

[/url]

i should point out that my saddle was too low in that photo, but it wouldn’t go any higher…

takisawa2

For me, for where & how I like to ride, for how I like bike to feel & handle &for what I am ultimately looking for from a bike these days…my Niner fits the bill. I’m happy.

And I think you probably ride alongside plenty of big wheelers without noticing. First time out on my Inbred my mates didn’t notice until I pointed it out.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

20 or 24 inch wheels are where it’s at- face it, you’re old and past it if you’re considering a 29er. Nowt wrong with that though, just face it.

bol

Why would I ever want a bike with bigger wheels?

thomthumb
    Free Member

out on the trail

i can count on one hand the mountain bikers i have seen out on the trail all year.

how many people do you see out – say on an average weekedn ride?

Kryton57

This:

Try one out, I think the benefits are specific unlike the BikeRadar suggestion that 29ers are better in all senses. There are so many other variables which affect the ride that often comparisons are hard to make.

Test a 29er/26er with the same spec / touchpoints on the same trails / trails you ride the most and decide.

Above all, enjoy whichever bike you decide to ride.

shortcut

I love these threads. They are so totally full of drivel from both sides.

Having said that I am loving the big wheels at the moment they maintain speed better and don’t seem to have any significant downsides!

I am sure 26ers have their place. – just not being ridden by me at the moment.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Yet another reason to run from the bank to your nearest bike shop and buy, buy, buy….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘All this 29er shizzle tell me why……’ is closed to new replies.