Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advice please – removing over-tightened cassette on Hope Bulb hub
  • addy6402

Hi,

Can anyone please offer some tips to remove an over-tightened cassette on a Hope Bulb hub?

The usual chainwhip/lockring tool won't budge it and it's been to a bike shop (prior to my ownership) without success…

Thanks!

Stoner
    Free Member

its fiddly, but try and orientate the whip handle and lockring tool spanner so that they are 10-15degrees apart with the unlocking action closing their angle. put the tools in a vice (between and perpendicular to the vice jaws) and slowly wind the vice up. As the tools close they should break the lockrings grip.

you may need 3x pairs of hands and/or a workshop bitch.

james
    Free Member

Put the skewer around the casette removal tool (with some room for it to undo)
    Position the adjustable spanner/moldgrips and chain whip so that you can stand on them (put the wheel next to a workbench or something so you can gain balance with your hands (or are you using a socket?)

If jumping on them doesn't work, retry with some pipe over each handle to lengthen them. Try by hand, then retry standing and then jumping on them

*I've only had to get to standing on just the tools. I've no idea if going beyond that will break something

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

so only the lockring's stuck ?

in the end, I guess you could cut it off if the above advice & standing the lockring end of the hub in plugas beforehand don't work

coatesy
    Free Member

Another option is to either fit the lockring tool in a vice and work the chainwhip from there(but a bit tricky), or remove the entire cassette and freehub assembly(they only slide on)and clamp the cassette in a big, solidly mounted vice and use a socket type lockring tool with a decent breaker-bar on it.

twohats
    Free Member

Put the cassette tool in a bench vice and kind of hold onto the wheel with the chain whip hand to use the leverage of turning the wheel to undo it, if that makes sense!

soobalias
    Free Member

the bike shop didnt do it?

tell me you havent taken the hub out of the wheel/spokes

james
    Free Member

I hadn't even thought if the hub wasn't laced upto a rim. If so, I think you may need to get a rim laced upto it

addy6402

Thanks for the replies folks, the hub is still laced into the wheel. I wonder if the shop weren't quite as resourceful as you all! I'll give some of these suggestions a try and report back…

br
    Free Member

Pedros do a cassette wrench, works better than a whip, although though they seem to not do it anymore…

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/pedros-cog-wrench-item37242.html

or this one

http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/uploads/DSC_0503.JPG

I have the first tool, and no cassette so far has defeated it – although the one put on by CRC onto my sons wheel required 2 of us.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

brute force and ignorance!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – removing over-tightened cassette on Hope Bulb hub’ is closed to new replies.