Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Advertorial on the home page
  • wwaswas

Personally, I’m never quite comfortable with ‘this sort of thing’ – particularly when it’s presented no differently than the rest of the homepage offerings – at least in print there tends to be a demarkation twixt real and fake content.

Maybe a different background or font colour would help?

http://singletrackworld.com/2011/10/cycling-to-a-healthier-future/

camo16
    Free Member

Dude, it’s got ‘Advertorial’ written at the top.

Stoner
    Free Member

wwaswas

not here;

http://singletrackworld.com/

just presented the same as all the other editorial stuff.

and I didn’t see the advertorial bit at the top until I saw Sainsburys finance were paying for it.

I just hope the mag doesn’t go down the same route.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have to take massive exception to this, if only for the truly horrific word “advertorial”. The sort of word penned by some imbecile who thinks that KwikKutz would be a good name for a barber’s shop.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

camo16
    Free Member

not here;

Ah, I see.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye its a horrible faux word

Harry_the_Spider

I thought it was more like an infomercial.

singletrackmatt

Advertorial = Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials = Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The article seems somewhat misplaced here anyway. We all already ride and we are all extremely fast riders, constantly setting new records. It’s not like we are idle IT managers wanting to get a new credit card to buy new shiney stuff with

Pook

double post

Pook

you don’t have to read it.

and you could always submit something

alfabus
    Free Member

@admanmatt, so… you don’t mind us complaining then?

vinnyeh

to be fair, it’s not much different in tone to most of the product content generated for the front page- fresh goods Fridays, new model release junkets and so on.

Not being judgemental here btw- I can understand these things, though it does seem a bit of a shame to me. 😕

vinnyeh

actually, on thinking about things a bit more, I nominate Matt for ad salesmen of the year, for getting Sainsburys to pay to place an article about the virtues of cycling onto a cycling website.

singletrackmatt

@admanmatt, so… you don’t mind us complaining then?

Not if you refresh regularly .

Harry_the_Spider

Can you use the Sainsbury Credit Card to by things other than bikes, pants for example?

xiphon
    Free Member

Unfortunately, most ‘reviews’ you read/watch are advertorials in some subtle way…

..which is why I don’t trust magazine reviews (or website ones) one bit.

Bad review = less ‘goods’ supplied for future reviews = dwindling content = less readers = blah blah blah..

😉

But having said that I’m going to buy a STW subscription with my new Sainsbury Credit Card at 0% interest

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

xiphon if you pay for your STW sub by Direct Debit you get a free T-Shirt 🙂

Mark

Bad review = less ‘goods’ supplied for future reviews = dwindling content = less readers = blah blah blah..

For the last 10 years I’ve argued why this is cobblers and I am resigned to the fact in another ten years I’ll still be doing the same…

🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Is it an orange coloured t-shirt? Might sway my decision…

singletrackjon
    Free Member

Happily enough, this advertorial helps to pay off my credit card bill…

xiphon
    Free Member

…. slowly, at 0% ?

( why do I have an urge to acquire something orange and plastic now? Must be something I read recently…. )

wwaswas

Mark/Matt are you paid per page impression on the Sainsburys stuff or just for placement?

If it’s the latter can there be an indication on the home page as to what it is to avoid unecessary clicks/forum posts?

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

It’s an orangey-red t-shirt at the moment – well it’s red really but…

wwaswas

just read Marks’ comment on the other advertorial thread so no need to answer here to.

The stw office does seem to be very full this week 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Advertorial on the home page’ is closed to new replies.