Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • About to go to 2×9 – sanity check my setup?
  • manilow
    Free Member

Hi guys,

About to switch to 2×9 as big ring is redundant for me. I’ve got standard XT triple HT2 cranks with an XT 11-32 cassette and am looking to do the following:

– remove big ring
    – keep 22T inner
    – replace middle with new ramped 34T ring: either Blackspire Super Pro or Middleburn Slickhift Hardcoat:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=435

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3331

– add bash ring (my riding is XC/trails so nothing hardcore here). Thinking the RF Light in 34t:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40422

or e.thirteen in 36T:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50668

Can you give me some advice on:

1. Which middle ring (Blackspire or Middleburn) as I’ve had mixed review for both, but think either would prob do!
    2. Size of bash ring. I’m not really looking to upgrade middle, so would a 34T be big enough to cover middle? Does this depend on manufacturer?

Thanks in advance and throw in any other suggestions.

Cheers
    Chris

ampthill

Why not just leave it as it is, I’m not sure what your gaining?

I can’t see it weighing less or shifting better

If you need the clearance just cut the teeth off the outer ring.

Please don’t take this as a flame. More a reality check. If my argument doesn’t stand up that’s fine you’ll be more sure your doing the right thing

wormhole

IME the set up you describe will be fine and both are good enough chain rings, price is probably the guide!! I tend to use cheap as poss and replace as required! I run a 36t on my 5, this does have an issue with going from middle to granny in the stand, but once on the bike the sag seems to allow the shift fine. I found that the 36t gave me a little more grunt when needed, but did make me sweat a bit more on the climbs. Again bash rings are an esthetic thing IMO and go with what you think looks best as they are all much of a muchness in operation.

you wont look back….in fact you will think maybe 2 x 10 or 1 x 10 or…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    StuE
    Free Member

Not used Middleburn ring but have the 34T Blackspire and Raceface bash on my Foes,and they are both very good,don’t forget to shorten the chain

starsh78
    Free Member

Ive recently done this, i changed my ratios completely transforming my bike for the better, I now run a 28t inner ring and a 38t middle, had to move my mech down, however now i have a sram 11-28 cassette gave me more usable gears for fast singletrack.

manilow
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

ampthill – I do see your point and to be honest there is no problem here to be solved! It’s just a case of Sunday gadget fever – an affliction we all have…

wormhole – thanks for the tips too.

Will do a bit more research and most likely, spunk £50 later that does’t need to be spent!

Cheers
    C 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Definitely go 36T for the bigger ring. With a 34 you will spin out too easily. Weight/cost difference will be trivial or zero. Bashring should be same size as biggest ring. Personally I use a bashring because I ride a lot of rocky stuff and the state of it shows it works. IMO a bashring also looks better

manilow
    Free Member

StuE – when I first shortened chain for the initial bike build I measured it on small/small and through the rear mech (on advice from bike mechanic mate!). Do you think I still need to shorten it if I go to 34T Middle?

starsh78
    Free Member

yes i shortened my chain as it didnt need to stretch to a 44 ring

shindiggy
    Free Member

StuE – when I first shortened chain for the initial bike build I measured it on small/small and through the rear mech (on advice from bike mechanic mate!). Do you think I still need to shorten it if I go to 34T Middle?

POSTED 28 MINUTES AGO #

Do you mean measures largest cog to largest cog through the rear mech? I cant see smallest to smallest working, you chain would be too short.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘About to go to 2×9 – sanity check my setup?’ is closed to new replies.