Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A dutch guy converts a coach into camper!
  • deadslow

Really fascinating video! Bigger budget than most van builds I guess? How much would a second hand double decker coach cost for a start?
    [video]https://youtu.be/xeMT1d_L-hw[/video]

gobuchul
    Free Member

How much would a second hand double decker coach cost for a start

Didn’t see any double decker coaches but plenty of others from £5k to £200k.

Take your pick. http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Given how much some people will pay for a T5 camper it’s probably not that expensive really.

And quite economical if you do longer trips (drive to the alps and live on it for a fortnight is probably not that different to flights, plus bikes, plus hotels).

nickc

given how much space he had to play with, the downstairs seating area is pretty cramped.

cool upstairs though

gobuchul
    Free Member

(drive to the alps and live on it for a fortnight is probably not that different to flights, plus bikes, plus hotels).

Although it will cost you at least £700 for the tunnel.

martinhutch

Was all the rage for a time in the 80s.

martymac

A neoplan coach like that will do 6-8mpg.
    9 on a long run in flat terrain.
    Great machines to drive though.

Klunk
    Free Member

think i’d just gone for a shower, lose the bath. Also I didn’t see any custom bike storage 🙁

RustySpanner

Some friends bought a Bedford ‘Chinese Six’ (Italian Job type), stripped it out and used it at the arse end of the UK free festival scene.
    Hammocks, stove, the lot.
    Grey primer, if anyone remembers it.

Too complex in the end, expensive to maintain and run.

Traded for an ex GPO Austin Lorry they painted in Rasta colours and drove to Portugal.
    🙂

They’re all still there, last I heard.

alpin
    Free Member

nice, butyou are massively restricted as to where you can travel and park up. Can’t see you being able to use many campsites or smaller, remoter roads.

Surely he will spend most nights at truck stops, not quiet secluded locations.

There was a guy on Amazing Spaces who had converted an old double decker. However, it was stationary on his small plot of land. That was nice.

Lionheart
    Free Member
    shifter
    Free Member

Saw something similar pitched up at a site at Woodhall Spa a few years ago. For some reason they needed a trailer as well.

spooky_b329

Did anyone see ‘how to live mortgage free’ on telly last night? Had a guy that was converting a coach into a home. He had some really clever ideas to make life easier for his disabled wife, like vertical lifts to the top deck and a air-height adjustable chair that ran the length of the bus.

However, couldn’t help think the only real drive was for the techy inventing stuff (and the lift looked really fragile, like a first version proof of concept, and ready to take your fingers off) and that he’d run out of steam before completing the actual living areas.

I couldn’t really see what the chair offered over a decent (self-lifting) computer chair to shoot up and down in and a boggo stanna stairlift on some normal stairs!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-live-mortgage-free-with-sarah-beeny

trail_rat
    Free Member

I saw the photos of that I thought it was a very poor use of space given the space he had to play with.

Where the **** do you park something like that . Decent pitches frown upon long term van living . The places around me that let you live long term are not places you want to live ….they are the sorts of places you direct folk that want to score some green

CountZero

Spending as many hours as I do on the motorway and dual-carriageway network, I see a lot of the big coaches around, the National Express, Megabus and Falcon Coaches especially, and I’ve often thought about converting one as a touring mobile home, with the possibility of having an on-board garage with a small car, motorbike and mountain bike in.
    Getting a car in might be doable if it’s like an Ariel Atom, or you’re going for a full double-decker, but the normal size coaches would just be good for storage in the lower bays, with the top deck as accommodation.
    As has been pointed out, it’s parking the sodding thing! It’s certainly not going to be possible to just pitch up at the small holiday destination of your choice with a thing that size, there just wouldn’t be anywhere that could take it.
    And I’d hate to try to get the thing down a South Devon lane, even the A-roads around Dartmouth and Kingsbridge are a nightmare with a regular size saloon…
    Fine if you’ve got millions to spend and can find places to park where cost isn’t an issue, but horribly impractical under normal circumstances.
    Better to spend the money on a Unimog with an expedition back on it.
    Just looked at that used coaches site, the sort of thing I see, like the Van Hool coaches, are astronomical!
    2013 one here, for nearly £200,000!
    http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/Vehicles/View/5377
    ‘Gulp’ You could buy a house for that!
    In fact, that’s about what my house is worth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A dutch guy converts a coach into camper!’ is closed to new replies.