Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 700×35 tyre recommendations for on and off road
  • ElShalimo

Can anyone recommend some good CX tyres for the road, off-road/forest tracks and easy bridleways?
    Local routes are about half road and half off-road and my current tyres are more suited to roads.
    thanks

smokey_jo

I’ve been using these, roll well on road and anything hardpack or gravelly, not great in mud though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unless the trails are muddy, you may not see much benefit.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my current tyres are more suited to roads

what are they and have you tried them off road?

i find 35mm michelin world tours surprinsingly good off road.

small block 8s (32c) are great cx type tyres. 😀

simon1975

SB8’s +1

If only they were still £10 🙁

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m about to go the opposite way!

Started with CX tyres, moved on to “treaded” Michelin Trekkers, anow looking at 28mm Slicks.

Commute is 50% road back lanes, 50% farm track, loose gravel tracks, smoothish bridleway, country park hardpack tracks. Just under 20 miles each way.

From experience I don’t think you need knobblies unless you have long sections of mud.

ElShalimo

my current tyres are more suited to roads

Spesh Borough CX sport like these

smokey_jo

Theseare popular with 3 peaks racers

IHN

I use Conti Speed Kings as an ‘everything’ tyre. No real complaints.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I get away with Conti GP4season’s as long as it’s not muddy. I tried CX tyres but they were horrible on the road, might be Ok with something less aimed at mud though like Small block 8’s?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spesh Borough CX sport like these

Do you like them? Do you want mine? Horrible, heavy, hard, square.

crikey
    Free Member

Panaracer Mach SS; 35mm with a file tread and lugs on the shoulders, s’what I use.

ElShalimo

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I don’t like mine either hence I’m asking for help

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve racked up a reasonable number of road miles on my Maxxis Raze – fairly low profile knobblies. I just stick an extra few PSI in if I am doing a ride with lots of road in it.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

I got a pair of folding Schwalbe Racing Ralphs for about £30 from SJS a couple of months ago, light and roll well, don’t know if there still that price though but if they are at that price you can’t go wrong….

Digger90
    Free Member

If for mixed road & light trail use, then just use the widest road slicks you can and lower pressures. I use either Conti GP 4 Seasons in 28mm, or Specialized Armadillo something-or-others also in 28mm for 99% of the time.

For the actual CX races/trail use then Vittoria Cross XN Pros which have a centre file tread (so roll smoothly) with knobs on the sides (so grip in corners).

ElShalimo

thanks for the suggestions

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Schwalbe land cruisers work well. Good centre ridge for on the road, with a bit of tread for looser off road conditions.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Eh? CX bikes are crap off road. Chuck it away and buy a 456 or something.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m on the Specialized Boroughs mentioned above for everything- mostly road, some muddy canal path. They’re alright (and I don’t get many punctures- oops!) but I’ll probably get something else when they wear out.

Northwind

I’ve been surprised by my Vittoria Cross XG Pros… There’s a 34mm version though I expect it’ll be undersized, the 32s certainly are. I don’t have much by way of points of comparison but they’re pretty tenacious, and not exactly slow either.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I really rate my Bontrager Jones CX tyres, however I’m not sure if they are still available.

mr_stru

Another vote here for Land Cruisers. They’re not too bad on the road and pretty reasonable off and they seem to be pretty puncture resistant as well. And cheap as well.

h4muf
    Free Member

CX Comp Pro’s,Great all-rounders.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

schwalbe smart sams

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘700×35 tyre recommendations for on and off road’ is closed to new replies.