Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • 6 music in the car
  • sadexpunk

got a bog standard radio in the car, but just been looking at ways of trying to get 6 music in there, as thats what i listen to most. will make my commutes almost bearable 🙂

do i need a convertor or something? im assuming all my connections are at back of the radio, so itll have to come out i spose to connect something up.

ta

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

One of these looks good

scaredypants

You have a portable digital radio with a headphone socket ?
    Has your radio got an aux input on the front?
    If so, you’re laughing

If not, there are things that will plug in the back of most makes to allow a mp3 etc to plug in, so could do that plus yr DAB radio – I’ve done it on 2 fords and a beemer

(that PURE thing is a posh version of what I had (mk1 I suppose) – mine works pretty well, only v occasional dropouts)

Simon

I replaced the (cheap)head unit in my car last year with one of these , it’s gone up £100 since I bought mine 😯 My car’s old though with a standard DIN sized hole for the head unit, if you’ve got a newer car it might be easier to get a Highway thingy.

sadexpunk

You have a portable digital radio with a headphone socket ?
    Has your radio got an aux input on the front?
    If so, you’re laughing

im not laughing 🙂 hmmm looks a good couple of hundred or so needs chucking at it then :-/ have to work out how important it is to me. get a bit sick of shuttling between radio 1 and 2.

ta

freddyg
    Free Member

This is a cheaper way.

scaredypants

freddyG’s is what I use – is fine

(adaptor I had was “connects2” – about 30 quid)

sadexpunk

thanks, looks interesting. only problem with that in my car (octavia) is that the fag socket is on the centre console behind the handbrake. so i have to have a wire training down to it when i use the satnav. so itll be there all the time using this.

dont spose theres any way of using my htc desire hd in any way is there? phones seem to do the lot these days 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try an internet radio app. Should work but devours data.

scaredypants

I bet* you could hardwire it onto the radio’s supply

*WHen it’s all burning on the hard-shoulder of the A1, remember I’m just a bloke on your computer

(I don’t think any phones have DAB so you’d be on data, as al says)

scaredypants

Hang on.

sadex – my “radio” is in the centre console. Doesn’t need to be visible unless you change staions a lot. I only use 5 and 6 and have preset buttons for them. The only visible lead is from the aerial and that’s pretty much hidden behind trim etc

Get a double socket adaptor (ansmann ones are good, some seemed to make my radio noisy) and away you go, pretty much same as now

??

hora
    Free Member

Tick. I love 6 and BBC Asian on DAB 😀

TiRed

Tune In radio on my blackberry. Data is not an issue for me. Reception can vary. Worth a try though.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Tunein and Iphone for me, bluetooth to car audio system.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I had the Pure DAB in car radio and it was very hit and miss and messy with the cables.

Whan it came to picking my new comapny car which arrived 2 months ago I chose one that had an DAB radio as standard. So much better than the plug in option

sadexpunk

Try an internet radio app. Should work but devours data.

good point, didnt think about that 🙂

thanks for that. been doing a bit of googling and all roads seem to lead to halfords. i know they get a bit of a slating on here for bike related stuff, but is that where i should be looking for car audio? they seem to advertise free fitting, which id need as i reckon you need special tools to take units out these days dont you?

sadex – my “radio” is in the centre console. Doesn’t need to be visible unless you change staions a lot. I only use 5 and 6 and have preset buttons for them. The only visible lead is from the aerial and that’s pretty much hidden behind trim etc

Get a double socket adaptor (ansmann ones are good, some seemed to make my radio noisy) and away you go, pretty much same as now
    hmmm thats a consideration. i could live with that. altho it seems its maybe not that much more for a proper head unit.

am i right in thinking any unit will just connect to my original 6-cd changer in the boot?

thanks

wolly
    Free Member

Bought a golf with dab fitted, it’s the future

sadexpunk

just been looking at that jvc head unit again. looks like its got a usb port on front, so am i right in thinking that just by sticking a usb drive into it, holding a few albums (flac or mp3), itll do the same as a cd changer? not that ill be playing many if it plays 6 music tho 😀

on the down side, doesnt look like itll fit my octavia without spending extra on a ‘harness adaptor’ and an ‘antenna adaptor’ :-/

wolly
    Free Member

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?pq=pure+dab&hl=en&cp=10&gs_id=8&xhr=t&q=pure+dab+highway&client=safari&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=768&bih=928&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10810757939036574892&sa=X&ei=5x0TT8rANozqOeeI0KID&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q8gIwAg or one of these it’ll work with your existing radio

CountZero

You could chuck a sh1tload of albums on a 16Gb or even a 32Gb flashdrive, which wouldn’t cost a lot, or else you just plug the end of your iPods dock lead into it, if you have an iPod. If you have, it’ll show track data etc.

fontmoss
    Free Member

watching with interest, radio 6 is in a league of its own

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

The fact that 6 still isn’t broadcast over the airwaves is unquestionably the greatest injustice facing mankind today. I’m not even joking.

RustySpanner

Just go to the BBC iPlayer site every evening and burn the previous days entire Radio 6 schedule to CD.

You can then play them in your car.
    You get to listen to the music you like AND pretend that you’ve mastered time travel at the same time.
    Don’t forget to synchronise the time, or it could get confusing.

Alternatively, buy a cheap ‘Rock’ complilation from a petrol station, spout complete and utter bollocks between tracks in a horrible mid Atlantic accent and pretend you’re listening to Rock FM 106.1.

CountZero

The fact that 6 still isn’t broadcast over the airwaves is unquestionably the greatest injustice facing mankind today. I’m not even joking.

But it is. I listen on a little bedside dock/radio, and at work I have a little portable that will fit in a large-ish pocket. There’s no wifi, so no Internet radio, so it must, therefore, be broadcast over the airwaves.
    So it’s a digital signal. There were stations on AM that were never transmitted on FM, and there are many more on DAB.
    The fact that most are utter trash, like Kiss FM, is beside the point.
    I’m just being picky, though; I do agree that 6 ought to be on a non-digital band as well, although there’s an argument to be made for keeping it DAB, as it gets more widely known, to encourage more take-up of actual DAB radio sets.
    Putting DAB/DAB+ sets in cars as standard would be a good start…

zokes
    Free Member

Don’t forget to synchronise the time, or it could get confusing.

I listen over the internet from Oz. This gets very confusing…

ivantate
    Free Member

I tried 6 the other day and it seemed lame. Will give it another go.

freddyg
    Free Member

ivantate – Member

Which programmes?

I find the majority of 6Music to be excellent with a couple of shows that ‘do my head in’. Saturday morning and most of Sunday I can quite happily ignore – which is a shame is that represents the biggest listening opportunity for me.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

most of Sunday I can quite happily ignore –

Horses for courses. I think the Cerys/Huey/Jarvis run is a terrific listen

freddyg
    Free Member

I kind of agree, but it requires more attention than I can give it. If it’s just on in the background as I’m pottering about, I’m not doing it justice – I find it a bit too much hard work.

Cerys does play some great stuff though – interesting ‘world music’ that I just wouldn’t get to hear anywhere else (Andy Kershaw maybe???)

senorj

are you 15 years old? 😀

my default radio station for home.

I used to love the freakzone on a sunday afternoon –
    moved it now though…

mdavids
    Free Member

This is a great little app I use to download bbc radio shows if I cant listen to them live. Automatically converts them to mp3 as well.

Radio downloader

docrobster
    Free Member

Had one of those pure highway things before and it was ok but reception could be quite hit and miss- even bridges could cause it to cut out. Now have factory fitted DAB radio (ford) and it is loads better- probably due to having loads more antennae dotted around the car- in front and rear bumpers etc. For this reason I think DAB head units as aftermarket fitment may well be disappointing.
    If you have a smart phone and don’t mind using the data allowance then internet radio app over bluetooth or aux socket seems the way to go.
    Areas with poor 3g signal tend to have a poor DAB signal too (eg snake pass- nothing much between ladybower and glossop)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The Parrot Astroid looks like the future and is pretty reasonably priced at £220 but sounds like it’s a bit underdeveloped at the moment. No DAB either.

Does anyone make a DAB headunit with Bluetooth Streaming and handfree telephony (preferably without a CD player – haven’t played a CD in the car in many years)?

Nick

As with Simon above, Sunday’s line up, all day, is brilliant. I’d go as far as to include Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone as well.

Radcliffe and Maconie from 1pm weekdays keeps me sane when working from home.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Radcliffe and Maconie from 1pm weekdays keeps me sane when working from home.

Yup, not sure how I’d handle home days otherwise

fontmoss
    Free Member

wish I could access iplayer whilst listening on a DAB to listen to shows I’ve missed

molgrips
    Free Member

NME radio here.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

wish I could access iplayer whilst listening on a DAB to listen to shows I’ve missed

Squeezebox radio is the answer. Listen live or full access to iPlayer (though think you need to run it with a server and the iPlayer plugin for this).

sadexpunk

just got my new car now, so ready to go ahead with this. been looking at all your links, and i think the pure highway is the way i want to go. the 300i is it?
    anyway, ive rung 3 halfords now, and at all of them ive been dealt with by some teenage lass who hasnt got a clue about it and is just guessing. nobody more qualified available etc etc. bit crap really.

so……… i assume itd have to be installed professionally (dont think id like to do anything behind the dash) and ill just have to wait until ‘somebody more qualified is available’ in the stores?

im assuming it plugs into the aux socket. well my aux socket is behind the handbrake in the arm rest between fron seats (mk 2 octavia). will this make things more difficult or is there another behind the dash?
    and then does it use my original radios display when its plugged in?

thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘6 music in the car’ is closed to new replies.