Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 50p for a second class stamp!!!!!
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry but a lot of you have just been dropped from the Christmas card list.

Two things coincided that made me think I would send a load more of Christmas cards this year.

I have a bit more time on my hands this year than normal.
    My wife found we had almost 150 cards in various bags, boxes and drawers.

I thought it would be great to send cards to people who I have lost touch with, who might be lonely, who I had briefly met etc. not he normal close circle bu xtend it and see what happensed.

I was all lined up with about 120 people to send to when the wife pointed out he price of stamps!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Short Explanation
    In other news petrol and beer have also gone up

somafunk

I only hand out 2 cards, one to my parents and one to my brother – everyone else gets wished a merry xmas and that’s enough by my reckoning.

Bah humbug eh? 😀

fasthaggis

You need to step back and have a think about what you get for that 50p.
    Or ,failing that ,look up the Jack Dee sketch 🙂

footflaps

If someone asked me to take a letter and drive to the Isle of Skye and deliver it in person, I’d want a lot more than 50p for my time….

Stoner
    Free Member

I havent sent a christmas card since 2001….
    the wife on the other hand insists on doing it for me.

Frankly, if you dont get a telephone call from me for a catch up in the week before christmas, youre just not that important to me so neerrrrr 😛

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s a great reason not to go through that annual pita and actually ring / meet folk. Even the misuses has decided to cut the card list from over 150 to a handful. And no overseas stuff at all this year as that’s a grade A rip off.

My inlaws get cheap stamps though as they’re on benefits so they’re business as usual.

Cougar

‘I thought it would be great to send cards to people who might be lonely but then I thought, 50p?! Balls to them.’

(-:

I got out of the habit of sending cards to everyone I’ve ever heard of years ago. It’s just silly. Some people send them to everyone at work; I appreciate the sentiment but really, a) I hardly know you and b) I see you every day, what is actually the point? If it’s a good friend I’ve not spoken to for a while then yeah, fair enough, and there are a few that just have to be done like partners and parents. But I can really do without the stress every year of “well, if we send one to x, we have to send one to y”, it’s (christmas) crackers.

br
    Free Member

My inlaws get cheap stamps though as they’re on benefits so they’re business as usual.

Eh?

joao3v16
    Free Member

50p for a stamp is superb value!

Give someone 50p and ask them to take your letter to the other end of the country and see what they say 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

If I Paypal you 50p will you send me a card? I’ll even do it Paypal gift.

binners

You’re a bloke. Blokes don’t send cards. Everybody knows that!

Matt24k
    Free Member

50p for a second class stamp!!!!!

I know, what an absolute bargain.
    The fact is that no other organisation can offer pick up from 45,829 handy collection points and then deliver to any UK address within a few days tells you what a bargain it is.

And what binners said. Cards are for girls.

jonba
    Free Member

50p is not a lot, can you even get a Mars bar for that?

will
    Free Member

60p for 1st class, so not that bad value really.

ericemel
    Free Member

I am all for high postage prices – anythign to combat junk mail which is pretty much the only thing that gets delivered through my door.

If you want to wish me merry christmas phone me 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am not saying 50p is bad value for sending a christmas card to the Isle of Skye (although I don’t know anyone there).

I am saying that £60 is a lot to spend on a silly whim when the main motivator was boredom and a load of spare Christmas cards.

My wife normally sends card, I use emails or the phone. The last time I was aware of the proce of stamps was when first class went up from 15p to 17p which might have been a while back.

martinhutch

Mike’s short explanation doesn’t quite cover it. Check out the price of stamps vs retail price index (a measure of inflation) since 1980. The last couple of years are interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/mar/27/60p-price-stamp-royal-mail

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘50p for a second class stamp!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.