Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 4k Ready HDMI Cables
  • NJA

I have ordered a new TV from Currys in their black tag event 55″ QLED Samsung. So I am one very happy bunny.

When buying the salesman tried to sell me some very expensive 4k ready HDMI cables and a 4K ready optical cable for connection to my surround sound system.

I am right in assuming that this was standard sales Bulls**t and not a real thing aren’t I?

Cougar

Yes you are.

Cougar

Also, what mentalist would use an optical cable in a HDMI-equipped setup? Bloody weasel.

ton

we sell 4k ready leads. roughly about £1 per meter + vat.
    up to 20 meters.

johndoh
    Free Member

Also, what mentalist would use an optical cable in a HDMI-equipped setup? Bloody weasel.

Maybe the tv doesn’t have the capability to output sound to a soundbar via HDMI? Mine doesn’t so I have to use optical.

nickjb
    Free Member

They are sort of thing. Some poundland cables may not be up to the job and if you are doing a long run then you need a slightly better quality cable. Other than that pretty much every HDMI lead is “4k ready”

fisha
    Free Member

There is a little merit in the claim that not all HDMI cables are the same.

For most average use, most cables will do. But if your trying to drive the display at full 4k, 60hz, yuv444 ( like connecting to a pc) then the data rate down the cable gets very high and some cheaper cables degrade the signal such that it doesnt work right.

When you connect a 4k HDMI decent cable then the data doesn’t get degraded.

I’m not claiming it makes the picture look better, just that it the connection more reliable.

Cougar

we sell 4k ready leads

Or as they’re more usually known, leads.

You need a certified “High Speed” HDMI cable, which most are aside from the real bottom-feeder end of the market. Anything else is marketing or snake oil.

P20

Our tv runs better with the sound though the optical rather than the arc hdmi

Cougar

Maybe the tv doesn’t have the capability to output sound to a soundbar via HDMI?

Fair point, but the OP isn’t using a sound bar.

For most average use, most cables will do. But if your trying to drive the display at full 4k, 60hz, yuv444 ( like connecting to a pc) then the data rate down the cable gets very high and some cheaper cables degrade the signal such that it doesnt work right

If it’s a High Speed certified cable, it will work. If it doesn’t work, it’s not legitimately certified.

johndoh
    Free Member

Fair point, but the OP isn’t using a sound bar.

How do you know? The surround sound system may be a soundbar.

(Unless you are in receipt of more detailed information about the OPs home set-up than I 🙂 )

Drac

It’s a Samsung and a newer one so it has Arc.

nickjb
    Free Member

How do you know?

The TV is internet connected. Pretty easy to track his IP address, then use the TV’s built in webcam. Basic stuff

Milkie
    Free Member

You will probably want a cable that supports HDMI v2.0b. I find Amazon Basics are good, you may also want some 90° Angle HDMI adapters.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

” you may also want some 90° Angle HDMI adapters”

But surely that will turn the picture sideways…

Cougar

😆

The surround sound system may be a soundbar.

A sound bar isn’t any form of “surround sound system” I recognise.

johndoh
    Free Member

A sound bar isn’t any form of “surround sound system” I recognise.

Why not? Mine has 2.1 surround sound (it has a wireless sub-woofer that lives behind the sofa).

Granted it’s not 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever, but it is surround sound nonetheless.

Cougar

What you’ve got there is “stereo” probably with a bit of DSP nonsense, not surround sound.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pedant – it still fills my room with sound in the same way ‘true’ surround does. 😛

Cougar

All speakers do that. You’d be hard pressed to find one that only filled half of the room, unless it was really quiet I suppose.

(-:

nealglover
    Free Member

You’d be hard pressed to find one that only filled half of the room

Not really. Acouspade 😉

Cougar

I bloody knew when I was writing that, some cleverbollocks would find one that did. (-:

CountZero

and a 4K ready optical cable for connection to my surround sound system.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

johndoh – Member
    Pedant – it still fills my room with sound in the same way ‘true’ surround does.

A single mono speaker can do that, 2.1 means stereo with a subwoofer, which is not surround just stereo with a non-directional bass extension.
    For true surround you need at least five speakers with a sub, or seven with one or two subs, then you get discrete sound separation where you hear off-camera noises like doors slamming behind you, or footsteps, which are impossible to achieve with 2.1, for what ought to be perfectly clear reasons.

nealglover
    Free Member

I bloody knew when I was writing that, some cleverbollocks would find one that did. (-:

😆

Cougar

which are impossible to achieve with 2.1, for what ought to be perfectly clear reasons.

But, but, it has a button that says “surround” on it!!1!

CountZero

And now there’s HDMI 2.1!
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/28/hdmi-2-1-specification-is-now-available-with-10k/

But, but, it has a button that says “surround” on it!!1!

I’ve got a remote that has a button marked SKY, but when I press it I don’t find myself gently floating amidst white fluffy clouds… 😉

Cougar

You’re clearly not pressing it hard enough.

Which, to be fair, we’ve all been there.

nealglover
    Free Member

Have you tried taking the back off and rolling the batteries around a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t wrong though. The cable is 4K ready.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘4k Ready HDMI Cables’ is closed to new replies.