Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 456 in the alps yes or no
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ok – I've asked before but there's nowt wrong with a second opinion.

I have a 2006 Enduro and a 456 ti.

I'm off to Les Arcs area of the Alps and want to take the 456 but know the enduro would be the sensible choice. Head says enduro heart says 456

I seem to ride a lot harder on the 456 though and a bit namby pamby on the enduro? but have no idea why.

a will the 456 be fine over there
    b whats wrong with me when I'm on the enduro?

solamanda
    Free Member

I'd take the enduro. Book yourself on a dh uplift day before you go and you'll soon start being less of a namby pamby and the choice of bike will be obvious.

The guys at trail addiction in les arcs guide on hardtails but they know the trails like the back of their hands and are super hardcore ;o)

Most will prefer a full sus for alpine ski lift style riding holiday as you won't be used to riding so much in such a short space of time and your body will start to complain.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Take the 456, it's made for it.

Riding a bike that others may view as not fit for the job in hand is always good and sort of rewarding … single speed it before you go and you'll have even more fun 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I'd say Enduro. I've done the Alps on a 456 twice and it's great but the downhills are loooong and you do start to tire due to lack of suspension on the rear. For singletrack stuff the 456 is great but the harsher, rockier stuff it just batters you.

vinnyeh

TBH, if you're having to ask the question, take the Enduro. I've ridden my ti456 at Morzine, and wished for full suspension.
    As Solamanda says, if you're super strong, know what you're doing and where you're going, then fine- but otherwise, what's the point of beating yourself up on a holiday.

meehaja
    Free Member

456… live a little, you can hire a full sus there if you want to

mcboo
    Free Member

I'm thinking the same. Have taken my Blur LT before and is loads of fun. To be honest though I wouldnt want to do a full week of uplift again, whisper it but I get a bit bored.

Next trip I really want to ride the Alps, up and down…..which means Ti456

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We're booked with the White Room Chalet so guessing pretty much never ending flowing single track with a few technical bits thrown in for good measure (hoping anyway eh Steveo?)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well I took my Turner to Les Arcs the first year and my Bfe last year. To be honest I preferred the BFe. There were times it was a bit of a handful, but a lot of the really good trails are very very tight, slow, technical stuff and a rinky dink little bike with slack angles and monster tyres was absolutely spot on. There's not that many flat out 40mph+ cut to f'ck DH courses like Morzine, so actually the right hardtail can still hack it.

Inrterestingly – one of the other guests came out on a Spesh Stumpy fs. Mid way through the week it disintegrated (bearings collapsed) and he borrowed Ali's Dialled Alpine and it completely transformed his riding – far, far more confident and he was cornering fantastically well,

Bez

I've been happy spending a few days on the lifts in Morzine with a rigid Inbred*, so MTFU. Anyway, the less suspension you have, the more massive the boner you'll get when you overtake someone on a full bouncer.

* though admittedly halfway through the afternoons it was fatiguing my arms somewhat

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

456 😀

Suspension is for wimps… 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Enduro it is then (after watching that!) 😯

alpin
    Free Member

take the HT… unless you're hucking the DH trails you don't need rear sus.

if you can ride your 456 confidently you'll have no problem. besides, there is less to go wrong.

i rode my HT for a year in the alps and was never wanting a FS to help put a smile on my face….

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Luke,

I spent a week with the white room last year and half of our group were on hard-tails (one on a Cannondale Caffiene 😮 ) I found there wasn't a great deal I couldn't do on a Soda, but then I'm usually the limiting factor 😉

If I were going again, I'd probably take my 6in susser, just so I didn't have to slow down on some of the faster, rockier bits. Whatever you take I'd recommend BIG tyres, and you will have fun. Steve and Iona at TWR are very good

TR

juiced
    Free Member

Ridden at Les Arcs with a ht 4 cross bike and would say FS if possible. Was fine at the time but if I had the choice FS.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

neil's-on-wheels – Member

Suspension is for wimps…

Loving that link N-on-W !

Ewan
    Free Member

I've ridden Les Arcs a few times. If you're going to riding the good stuff take a full sus. A few of my mates took HTs and they were bandaging their hands up by the end of the week – admitidly they were keeping up with us on 6 inch bikes.

If you're really keen on taking the 456 make sure it has decent forks. That seemed to make the difference for my mates – Zochi All Mountains 2 resulted in much much more pain than some nicely set up Z1 Free rides.

But seriously, take the full sus. The people who are suggesting the HT probably haven't ridden there and are the same people that say you don't need a full face in the alps. You do if you ride fast enough.

nickegg
    Free Member

I have a similar dilema.

I took my Orange 5 to The White Room last year and loved it but we're returning this year and i've recently acquired a Cove Handjob which i absolutly love. From what i can remember of the trails we rode it was a real mix. Some would suit my 5, others the Handjob!

I can't decide which to take…but i have a while to decide!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The people who are suggesting the HT probably haven't ridden there and are the same people that say you don't need a full face in the alps. You do if you ride fast enough

I'd disagree with both of those comments, but then I'm like that. Both have their place, but both aren't "needed".

Morzine or ADH, full face definitely, full sus probably (especially for the Mega). Les Arcs? Quite happy with the hardtail with Lyrics and 2.5 tyres, plus my Xen (I'm more comfortable on the slow tech stuff having better peripheral vision and hearing what's goin on). Sure the guides started to pull away from me on the 35-40mph trails, but I could kick their asses in the switchbacks. (Ash and Ben excepted…!)

juiced
    Free Member

one thing I forgot to mentoin was my ht bike is super stiff and alloy. A steel bike would probably be a great improvement.

Janesy
    Free Member

Ive been to Chamonix last year (2009) I went with my 06 Sworks enduro. This year im going to Morzine with my Cove Stiffee.
    The enduro looked and felt too skinny on the trails. Go with HT and let me know how you get on :p

juan
    Free Member

These kind of crap thread are exaclty why I love lurking on here.

alpin
    Free Member

**** off juan

hi, juan.

i didn't even notice n-on-w's link it was so well hidden….

The key thing about riding hardtail in the Alps is whether it will be comfortable enough and strong enough. A 456 Ti should be both.

All this stuff about not being fast enough or able to keep up with full-sussers is irrelevant. It's a holiday, not a race.

alpin
    Free Member

All this stuff about not being fast enough or able to keep up with full-sussers is irrelevant. It's a holiday, not a race.

kerrr-ching!

smogmonster

Went to Les Arcs with Trailaddiction a couple of years ago, one of our group, who is naturally very light on the bike and super fast, took his Cove Stiffee, and he had no problems, was actually faster than the guides on their big full sussers – we even broke one of them (guides, not bikes) he fell off and broke his arm trying to stay ahead of us!

mrl

I am going to the alps with white room as well in early June. The backcountry week so I guess a far bit of climbing as the lifts are shut. Was going to be taking my chameleon and the wife is on a merlin xc hardtail with 120mm forks. We both went on a holiday with switch backs a few years ago and were fine on the hardtails. Although the wife had had enough by the end of the week. I am hoping for slightly more flowing trails and less exposed rock. Both of us would prefer that kind of riding.

However having said all that I have just picked up a hemlock frame on ebay so will be taking that now, probably a better bike for the job. Has the short rockers so should be perfect. Just had my last ride on the chameleon and starting to regret the purchase… I may have to keep both bikes 🙂

br
    Free Member

I went with TrailAddiction a couple of years ago, and took my 2006 Enduro.

I've now a 456Ti, and would happily take it, but with a 36's, decent tyres (2.4's at least) and 203 discs. But then I don't have my Enduro anymore.

I'd take both.

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Hi, ive been to Les Arc twice in the last 6 years and both times ive taken my 1998 Litespeed Owl Hollow. Made of Ti and super tough the old Owl Hollow has been brilliant.

On both occasions my friend took his Spesh Enduro and more often than not i was faster both up hill and down.

If my snapped Achilles heals in time im off back to the Alps this summer and yes i shall be taking the Ti hardtail …… it rocks !

Blower
    Free Member

Went to Les Arcs with Trailaddiction a couple of years ago, one of our group, who is naturally very light on the bike and super fast, took his Cove Stiffee, and he had no problems, was actually faster than the guides on their big full sussers – we even broke one of them (guides, not bikes) he fell off and broke his arm trying to stay ahead of us

😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘456 in the alps yes or no’ is closed to new replies.