Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • 40 this Year! mid life crisis frame
  • ruminant
    Free Member

40 this year (begining of March).

Decided to get a new frame to celebrate, something a bit classier/special than my steel 456

Obvious choice is a carbon 456, all priced up and ready to spend.

Thought of a cotic, but not really any different from the s456 i have already (I’m sure somebody will tell me how wrong I am)

anybody got any other suggestions? around the £500 – £600 mark

The s456 will be a donor bike forks, drivetrain etc. So i need to factor any new parts like seatpost if larger etc.

wwaswas

I’m sure somebody will tell me how wrong I am

you’re wrong.

Curtis? (although slightly higher than your budget I got one of the CRC sale ones and it’s a brilliant frame).

ruminant
    Free Member

Thanks I needed that, hate being right all the time 😉

loum
    Free Member

Dialled PA 853 special edition. There was a thread on here the other day where Mike@Dialled said they’re doing another run early this year. Great value too.

Leku
    Free Member

Stanton Slackline? LBS has a frame and very nice it is. £400

redfordrider
    Free Member

OP – will your fork from the s456 fit the tapered headtube of the carbon 456?

wwaswas

it will if he buys my as new ‘run a std fork in a c456 frame’ Hope headset off me for £40 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

My 40th birthday present is a Surly Disc Trucker

Not very rock and roll I admit, but the world of possibilities that it promises is exciting…

PS. Crisis-wise, I bought myself a ukulele on Monday 😳

EDIT: PPS. Plans of busking my way around the world are in the very early stages

AlexSimon

If it’s going to be really special, try and ride a few.

Even if you have to spend £30 a time borrowing them from bike shops, it makes you so much more settled on the final choice and it’s really fun ragging a few different bikes down the same trail.

Plenty of shops have Cotic demos and some of the other manufactures have bikes they can move from shop-to-shop for you to book.

My shortlist around £400 would be:

Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Stanton Slackline (I know this one may be tricky to demo)
    Transition Trans Am
    One of those skinny-tubed Charge Dusters
    Ragley Piglet

Or something like that anyway.

BTW, I’m 40 this year too. sob…

_tom_
    Free Member

bluddy hell that slackline looks very long and low 0_0

chakaping
    Free Member

bluddy hell that slackline looks very long and low 0_0

And has a very weird mix of mega-bling and heavy old rubbish spec.

OP – the Carbon 456 is amazing, I’m sure you wouldn’t regret getting one.

You can get an adaptor to solve the steerer width issue, if you don;t buy wwasaas’ headset.

ruminant
    Free Member

Rfd – on one smoothie mixer headset sorts that, forks are fox 32 rlc’s

Seeing alot of steel, no love for the carbon?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m not sure I can remember as far back as my 40th

ash.addy
    Free Member

Surprised you haven’t thought of a sovereign yet

tk46hal
    Free Member

I went through the mid life 5 years ago and pretty much did the same. I treated myself to a Ti456 for that magic 40 after having a Cannondale Prophet, but have now moved again onto the Scandal 29er’s.
    Clown bikes suit us old folk!

warton
    Free Member

when I’m 40 I’m going to buy a tourer and spend two weeks, on my own touring scotland. My wife has yet to be informed of this.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I try to keep my wife informed of everything I do regarding my bikes, but she is not bothered so I just keep buying stuff when I need it. I’ve got to say though, she would notice me missing for 2 weeks! 😉
    Good luck with that!

chakaping
    Free Member

no love for the carbon?

There have been a rash of threads about the c456 lately, if you need more feedback on them.

pickle
    Free Member

Go with your original plan, i love my C456 and for the money they are superb!! the only things you’ll need to change are things like the seat post and clamp but most of the parts off your s456 will go straight on it 🙂

By the way, i’m 42 this year and still ride BMXs as well as my 456 whenever i can. you’re a long time dead

Crappy picture of mine
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/robertbransby/c4566.jpg%5B/img%5D

binners

What the hell is wrong with you people.

Surely a mid-life crisis frame should be a poncy full suss to be gentler on your ever-expanding lardy arse and brittle old bones?

Or is that just me? 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought a used cyclocross bike, coming up 6 years ago now, hav’nt looked back since.

sefton
    Free Member

I thought the mid life crisis bike was a ti touring frame with Dura Ace groupo?

pickle
    Free Member

my mate went out and bought a Marin mount vision pro (we’re talking 15 years ago now) it went to the Alps once where he fell off braking his shoulder down punchure alley. It has sat in his garage since and never moved!

chakaping
    Free Member

Nah, this is a mid-life crisis bike…

richardk
    Free Member

Mine was a Planet X Stealth to try and get me round The Outlaw triathlon in a respectable time later this year.

There may be a classic ti or high end steel hardtail (like I lusted after when I first started biking) later this year though….

geetee1972
    Free Member

@Leku

Stanton Slackline? LBS has a frame and very nice it is. £400

Holy f**ing s**t Leku you bought a £400 frame and put £2200 wheels on it!

Not saying it’s wrong like, just, well a bit mad really! 😀 Fair play I guess.

goatster
    Free Member

I bought a socom and went to whistler!

andytherocketeer

Prefer prime numbers. Bought (well built) my first bike in years for my 37th.

Still to sort out the 40th mid-life crisis frame/bike (got a couple of months still, although 41 is a prime number too).

Liteville is still a mid-life crisis option.

jambon
    Free Member

Looks aside the c456 is really very good.

ruminant
    Free Member

Actually like the c456 looks wise

vinnyeh

Surely a mid-life crisis frame should be a poncy full suss to be gentler on your ever-expanding lardy arse and brittle old bones?

Must be a soft northerner thing.

This looks mighty interesting, is something a bit special, and a bargain at the preorder price…

Dialled PA 853

woody2000

no love for the carbon?

Is there even an alternative to the C456? By that I mean another long travel carbon hardtail? Thinking about getting one myself as a belated 40th pressie (if I’ve got any brass left after new kitchen!), I like the green decalled one, which probably puts me in a minority!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Midlife crisis at 40 😯

I had mine at 20, as back then I was convinced my lifestyle would make sure I never reached 40!

I am turning 40 in April 😆 Can’t wait!! I get to prove myself wrong!

Would love another bike… either the slackline or a soul… but can’t afford it…. Never mind! Just keep riding what I have!

wwaswas

woody2000 – there’s a few 140mm carbon 29ers in the pipleline – even a 140mm ElGuapo FS 29er.

woody2000

www – I’ve got too much invested in 26″ wheels to start moving to clown bikes. And I’m a bit of a shortarse 🙂

wwaswas

I know how you feel – it’s like contemplating switching pedal standard when I’ve got 5 bikes all on the same one.

Leku
    Free Member

Holy f**ing s**t Leku you bought a £400 frame and put £2200 wheels on it!

Not mine. Image off the Stanton web site.

I have a Cotic Soul with appropriately priced wheels.

ruminant
    Free Member

Woody I like the green aswell

woody2000

<is relieved>

😀

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Check out Rocklobster titanium at merlincycles.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘40 this Year! mid life crisis frame’ is closed to new replies.