Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 3yr old's first trip to the cinema
  • genesis
    Free Member

Is UP a good choice, he really likes ballons and thinks that fly.

mogrim

Can he sit through a whole film on DVD?

And be prepared half-way through for him to either a) fall asleep, or b) want to go home.

TBH I'd wait another year, but it's your money 🙂

blaggers
    Free Member

Our 3 year old only made it 15 mins into wall-e, luckily it was only a £1 sat morning special, but he didn't like sitting in the dark, and loud sounds, so it may be the environment rather than the film that is an issue. Now he's 4, we might try again.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm 41 and a half and have only managed to last about 30 mins of wall-e 🙂

genesis
    Free Member

He'll quite happily sit through a movie, Cars being his fave as well as Nemo. Quite liked Wall-e too tbh.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Just go for it!
    I spent more time watching my kids' reaction to films at that age than watching the film. If it all ends in tears you can always leave! 😀

Swiftacular
    Free Member

We first took our son at about that age to see Happy Feet, and luckily it wasn't busy, as he spent all the time after the first half hour running round the cinema sitting in different seats, but…..took him (now 6) and our daughter (3) to see UP last weekend, and they both loved it.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Our now 6 year old first went when she was 3 and was fine but we knew that she was happy to sit through a dvd first. We also took her to a proper showing rather than one where they put the lights up and turn the volume down as otherwise its not a proper experiance. Or youngest is just coming up to 3 and we may thake her soon as she is now happy to sit and watch a whole film.

mogrim

If he can sit through a whole film, +1 on what FoxyChick says.

Sit at the end of the row, just in case.

dmiller
    Free Member

also unless you have no heart you might cry a bit at up. 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

3 is too young for a feature at the cinema imo.

mrchrispy

my 4 year old only managed the 1st 30min of The Ring before staff made me go in and get him.

BoardinBob

We first took our son at about that age to see Happy Feet, and luckily it wasn't busy, as he spent all the time after the first half hour running round the cinema sitting in different seats,

By "wasn't busy" I'm hoping you mean you and your family were the only people in there?

If not, why would you ever let your child do that? Do you even remotely understand how much that annoys other people? Are you one of those parents that has become so de-sensitised to your kids behaviour that you're able to completely zone out into ignorant bliss as they run riot all over the place?

We had to endure this at Up last week. 2 parents and three spawn of satan children running around the cinema while the film was on.

As my wife says, there's only one solution. A big stick with a nail in the end.

Riofer
    Free Member

Our 2 year old watched all of Ice Age 3 – it was me who was screaming to get out. She had a nice tub of home made popcorn to keep her happy. Depends on the childs attention span, mood on the day etc

On your original question – I've only seen the trailer but I though Up looked good. I think we are waiting for Where the wild things are for our next trip.

odannyboy
    Free Member

try him on a film at home..in the dark…with the sound up. my three year old cant sit through a film .he's equally interested in the room the other people, going to the loo etc to follow the story.

wors

took mine (3 1/2)to watch G-Force yesterday, just about managed the film before getting fed up, was on for 1hr 1/2

coffeeking
    Free Member

Got to say I'm with boardinbob on this one, while the kid might enjoy disturbing everyone in the cinema, it's wholely unfair. It's bad enough with the drunk teenagers lobbing stuff about (I've come very close to dragging them out by their heads at times), but parents allowing their kids to just run riot *anywhere* is disgraceful. Kids can be a pain at times, but dont take them before they're ready to sit through it. IF they're able to sit through a film without asking/talking loudly etc then sure, why not, if not, as per bob, don't take offence when someone gets upset;

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Took our 3 year old for the second time over the weekend (coincidentally to see UP).

He sits there quiet as a mouse, litterally never seen him as quiet as when he is in the cinema, much easier than his six year old sister.

I wouldn't hesitate, if the little one doesn't behave you can always leave, and a little bit of noise is acceptable (it's a kids movie), you have to expect kids to be there.

BTW He is exactly same, will sit through a film and loves Cars, and generally all things Pixar 😛

ChrisF
    Free Member

Whether your child is OK for a film at 3 1/2 I couldn't say. Up is a pretty bleak film IMO, there are other more suitable ones around. I saw it at the weekend with my 5 year old and she enjoyed it although didn't understand some of it, and was a little scared at some of the 3D effects.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Boarding Bob, there was literally 6 people in the whole place, and he wasn't making any noise, just changing from chair to chair, all over the back of the seating, where nobody was, in the end i gave up and dragged him out. I wasn't zoned out, completely disinterested in the film myself, kept having to move seats to sit with him, and everytime i suggested leaving, he said no, but enough becomes enough, if you know what i mean.

coffeeking, he was able to seat through a film at home quite easily, not sure why he behaved this way, but you've got to try them at some point.

As daniel owen says, you expect there to be kids there, and you expect a little noise/excitement. Running around may have been a little strong, but moving around more like. When it became too much i left.

Some people on here either haven't kids, or have strange ideas on how they should/do behave. I can understand annoyance in other types of films, but kids films you expect it.

dmiller
    Free Member

I can understand annoyance in other types of films, but kids films you expect it.

Yah – if you dont have kids and want to see a kids film go see the showings at 9pm and stuff – thats why they do them.

I dont have kids, and I like the kids films, but I understand that if I go during the day there will be kids there…

Anyways – my good lady is normally more annoying than kids when she trys to eat quietly… 🙂

Bunnyhop

We went to see 'Up' last night.
    I blubbed nearly all the way through.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘3yr old's first trip to the cinema’ is closed to new replies.