Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 3M black reflective vinyl
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Does anyone use it on their bikes for a little extra visibility? Any good? Any pics of it in action?

I was thinking of applying it to the rims on my commuter.

clubber
    Free Member

I have done. It’s very good IMO – really stands out in headlights – basically looks like you have lights on your bike.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I got some black reflective tape I stuck on the rear of the mudguards on my commuter. Works well.

nedrapier

I’ve got it on my seatstays and cranks and in patches on my rims.

I’ve not seen it from a following car, but in hallway tests it doesn’t seem to be anywhere near as bright as the stuff you get on reflectey vests, and the effective angle seems to be a lot tighter as well.

Might be just as good at getting you noticed by a following car though, certainly better than nothing.

I’m quite glad I didn’t put it on just to try out though, I really don’t fancy trying to get it off!

portlyone

Put it on my seat-stays and forks. Got hit by a car the next morning in the daylight. 🙂

Houns

I stick it all over my helmet, just got a new helmet so waiting for some tape and a scalpel to turn up before doing a proper job. For now though I’ve just stuck on some old bits I had

billytinkle
    Free Member

Is everyone using genuine 3M stuff? I’m assuming there are some copies out by now that may not be so effective?

That said – I imagine it’ll never provide the reflectivity of the lighter colours.

JCL
    Free Member

3M are very effective at finding suppliers who support illegal logging etc. they make Specialized look like the WWF. I’m sure the alternatives are good enough.

lightman
    Free Member

Ive covered most of my bikes in colour matching reflective tape, using this sort of stuff.

All these reflective strips aren’t really visible without any light shinning on them ~

I have recently been putting spoke reflectors on all my bikes, they really are visible and eye catching.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5xC7PI3dyI[/video]

Gary_M
    Free Member

Eye bleach please 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Is that a commuter? Must be fun on a windy day….

lemonysam
    Free Member

I can understand why you’d want to ride it in the dark though.

satchm00
    Free Member

If you commute on your bike you haven’t got much choice in the matter?

I see lots of people on there bikes, some well prepared like the above… others just waiting to be a statistic. Roads near me aren’t too bad so I get why people choose to ride. I wouldn’t ride/commute in Birmingham though, crazy enough in day light.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Yep i used it on my last bike, blends in well on a black bike but nice and bright when you need it.

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

+1 for On the cranks

JoeG
    Free Member

If I commuted, I’d probably get a set of these

http://www.ridewithfiks.com/

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That stuff might do my pedals so “plod” doesn’t try to fine me £50 for not having pedal reflectors…

From a thread on here a few days ago

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘3M black reflective vinyl’ is closed to new replies.